Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Pens - the Farewell Todd we barely knew you edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
All of us unhappy with team want the team to be better. The negativity lately has been bc caps have been so awful.
I think you misunderstand, my Caps friend. It’s not that people are negative. I get it (I think ALL of us get it).

it’s the constant drumbeat of the same stuff over and over and over again. My 3yr old daughter repeats the same “ask” like a dozen times at once. It gets annoying. But she’s 3.

this board has a dozen of my daughters — and I don’t think any of them are 3yrs old.

perhaps you don’t see that. Many of us do.

in the calmest way possible, that is what is so hard to deal with on this board. And why we are happy there is now ONE thread for it. So many of us don’t need to visit that thread, and can partake in the rest of the threads knowing (hopefully) it won’t turn into “Reirden sucks and needs to be fired NOW” thread.

thanks for reading.

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
I think you misunderstand, my Caps friend. It’s not that people are negative. I get it (I think ALL of us get it).

it’s the constant drumbeat of the same stuff over and over and over again. My 3yr old daughter repeats the same “ask” like a dozen times at once. It gets annoying. But she’s 3.

this board has a dozen of my daughters — and I don’t think any of them are 3yrs old.

perhaps you don’t see that. Many of us do.

in the calmest way possible, that is what is so hard to deal with on this board. And why we are happy there is now ONE thread for it. So many of us don’t need to visit that thread, and can partake in the rest of the threads knowing (hopefully) it won’t turn into “Reirden sucks and needs to be fired NOW” thread.

thanks for reading.
Bingo ! Bingo! Bingo!

Reactions: Calicaps

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
There’s no magic fix outside of just playing/coaching better. Pens aren’t a juggernaut. Nobody in the metro is. Caps should feel good about their chances against any of those teams in the playoffs. It’s going to take time but remember just cuz the Caps are struggling, that doesn’t mean that the other teams are just magically better. They all have plenty of warts too.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
There’s no magic fix outside of just playing/coaching better. Pens aren’t a juggernaut. Nobody in the metro is. Caps should feel good about their chances against any of those teams in the playoffs. It’s going to take time but remember just cuz the Caps are struggling, that doesn’t mean that the other teams are just magically better. They all have plenty of warts too.
I don't know I don't feel confident going to the playoffs, but last time when I felt like that, they won the cup.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I liked seeing more hustle and physicality. However, it didn't paper over their problems. They looked ugly in the neutral zone, and repeatedly flubbed passes and didn't move the puck cleanly.

In spite of these problems, physical play can help you win games where you were outplayed...

Still holding out hope that we'll see a playoff version of the team from earlier this year.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I feel we need another top 6 player. Didn't like that we couldn't sustain any offensive pressure for 2 periods. Hags and Eller were good, but Panic is so invisible. I was defending our 4th line, but they don't provide anything, especially offensively. We can't survive only on Holtby's play.

If Bergevin loses out the waiting game Kovalchuk for a 3rd round pick. Don't even need to disrupt the roster by clearing cap

Dude will have insane adrenaline at possibly his last chance at the cup and will draw defenders to him like crazy at the very least

Ovechkin Kuznetsov Oshie
Kovalchuk Backstrom Wilson
Vrana Eller Panik
Hagelin Dowd Hathaway

Dillon Carlson
Orlov Jensen
Kempny Gudas

Have fun line matching against that playoff shits. Every line has somewhat of a defense anchor too

Or maybe a deal of Kovalchuk and Petry with Panik and Jensen going the other way. Would be painful though. But

Dillon Carlson
Orlov Petry
Kempny Gudas

Sexy as hell

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridley Simon

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I liked:
Dillon
Willysona
Eller
Hairboy has returned to be my surfer crush again
Holtby
Tulamore 12

Disliked:
The PP
Kareless Kuzy
Carlson passing CallyJoe and promptly getting undressed
Every player who passed and didn't shoot the puck
The soft calls by the refs in the 1st...where were they the rest of the game
Holtby
* Me posting here again

Sorry but....you disliked Holtby??? Seriously?

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
We are up 2 points with pens having a game in hand - but we owe tiebreak, right? Even if pens get 2 points next game?

The first tiebreaker this year is regulation wins and so far we are ahead of them 29 to 26.

Then comes the regular ROW and we are ahead on that 35 to 34.

Next is total wins including shootout wins (not included in ROW) where we lead slightly again 38 to 37.

Then I think season series. We are 1-1 heads up against the Pens so far this season series with 2 more upcoming - both in Pitt.

Still a lot of games to go

Last edited:
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Sorry but....you disliked Holtby??? Seriously?

Of course. You missed part where I liked him as well. You can criticize and praise the same player. It's not like he played a perfect game. I thought he could of stopped the Malgin goal.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Needless to say, that was a huge win. Being the third game in four nights, I must say I am impressed. Well done Caps!

Congrats to Hags on his 100th career goal.
Congrats to Vrana on hitting 50 points.
Congrats to Carlson on becoming the Caps all time leading scorer for Dmen with his 475th career point.

I loved the way they crashed the net and got dirty goals. I loved the way they pushed the Pens around.

An encouraging win. :)

Reactions: racingmoose

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I know I'll get some shit for this but Sid is amazing. Watching him in person, from higher up, you get a sense of how well he thinks the game. For my money he's still the best player in the world.

The biggest takeaway I have from today's game is the Caps are so much better when they go hard to the net. It was infuriating watching them try to make the perfect play only to turn it over and have to play defense but they looked dangerous when they decided to just bust ass to the net and create havoc. More of the latter, please.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I know I'll get some shit for this but Sid is amazing. Watching him in person, from higher up, you get a sense of how well he thinks the game. For my money he's still the best player in the world.

The biggest takeaway I have from today's game is the Caps are so much better when they go hard to the net. It was infuriating watching them try to make the perfect play only to turn it over and have to play defense but they looked dangerous when they decided to just bust ass to the net and create havoc. More of the latter, please.

It’s strange how a team can have a significantly worse record with the “best player in the game” in the lineup compared to when he is injured, though.

He’s definitely a generational player, don’t get me wrong. Just seems something is not quite right.

Reactions: crab

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Holtby had a very solid outing and looks to be trending up when we need him to be. The only bad one he let up was the Malkin dance around Carlson when Holtby was way in his crease.

I also think Orlov gets very little credit for the season he has been having. Definitely can see his two way game blossoming the past few weeks. It’s a thing of beauty when he carries the puck into the zone and fends off some stronger players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad