Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Pens - the Farewell Todd we barely knew you edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Holtby had a very solid outing and looks to be trending up when we need him to be. The only bad one he let up was the Malkin dance around Carlson when Holtby was way in his crease.

I also think Orlov gets very little credit for the season he has been having. Definitely can see his two way game blossoming the past few weeks. It’s a thing of beauty when he carries the puck into the zone and fends off some stronger players.
Top-pairing, all situations defender. Nothing else to say!

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Holtby had a very solid outing and looks to be trending up when we need him to be. The only bad one he let up was the Malkin dance around Carlson when Holtby was way in his crease.

I also think Orlov gets very little credit for the season he has been having. Definitely can see his two way game blossoming the past few weeks. It’s a thing of beauty when he carries the puck into the zone and fends off some stronger players.
I’ve noticed. He’s playing at a 1D level this season... his defense especially in the neutral zone is outstanding

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
It’s strange how a team can have a significantly worse record with the “best player in the game” in the lineup compared to when he is injured, though.

He’s definitely a generational player, don’t get me wrong. Just seems something is not quite right.

Or with a zamboni driver in lieu of an NHL goaltender.

Almost like a 10% give a shit output from 18 other guys on the ice dwarfs what a single great player can offer

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Otherwise known as “flipping the switch”.....

Wasn't "Flipping the switch" a playoff avatar finalist in recent years? Time to maybe bring it back?

Honestly I've never seen any team flip the switch as much as these Caps have this year. How many 4 goal 4rd periods do that have? How many 2 goal deficits have they overcome? A shitload, thats how many.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
If Bergevin loses out the waiting game Kovalchuk for a 3rd round pick. Don't even need to disrupt the roster by clearing cap

Dude will have insane adrenaline at possibly his last chance at the cup and will draw defenders to him like crazy at the very least

Ovechkin Kuznetsov Oshie
Kovalchuk Backstrom Wilson
Vrana Eller Panik
Hagelin Dowd Hathaway

Dillon Carlson
Orlov Jensen
Kempny Gudas

Have fun line matching against that playoff shits. Every line has somewhat of a defense anchor too

Or maybe a deal of Kovalchuk and Petry with Panik and Jensen going the other way. Would be painful though. But

Dillon Carlson
Orlov Petry
Kempny Gudas

Sexy as hell

f*** yeah be tween this and calling the Orlov pick in 2009 I knew someone up there reads my shit

Reactions: bur and 666 others

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
One more thing. Pens still have only 3 dangerous players: 71, 72 and 87.
Just those 3? Letang is a star. Jarry was an all star this year and is arguably the team's MVP this season. Dumo is one of the best defensive players in the league and should come back soon. Guentzel is unfortunately out for the season but would be the 2nd best forward on the Caps (tied with Backstrom).
Pens have skill and depth, especially once they're healthy.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Pens outplayed us for a lot of the game, but who cares, at least we finally played like we gave a ****. That aspect of our game had gone totally AWOL lately. TR was fortunate the hated Pens were next on sked; Caps were starting to look like a team that had quit on its coach.

Wilson was fully engaged and a difference maker all game long. That hasn’t always been the case this year, but I agree with Holtby- wilson seems like a guy destined to be a captain in the league.

Speaking of holts, he was great. He is trending up lately, and that alone may be the most relevant fact, going forward.

Even perennial whipping boys like Jensen seemed steady today.

Dillon going after 71 was deeply soothing to the soul of a guy who sat as a kid and watched the Broad Street Bullies roll into town (with their bus loads of fans) and beat the living crap out of Caps in mid 1970s. And to those of who had to settle for Matt ‘the Bleeder’ Bradley bleeding onto an opponent’s hands as ‘retribution’ for dirty hits against our skill guys. To have Wilson, Dillon, and Gudas on the team is deeply appreciated, especially when you sprinkle in hits by angry Ovie or hip checks from Orlov or kamikaze hits by 77 or the general ****-stirring of Hathaway. We haven’t been a hard team to play against lately, but today showed that we sure as hell still can be.

Most of all, i just liked the teamwide buy-in. I can forgive mistakes all game long as long as guys are playing each shift like it could be their last (which at TDL i guess is true).

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Baby steps... we finally took a couple today (and there was much rejoice)
Still a long way to go but the give-a-shit meter was actually registering and the physical game was great
Holtby's been looking better and better the last few games
String together some more W's, score 1st some more, and get to straightening out this ship

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
You brought up the perfect game. Not me

And you're the one who didn't read everything in my initial post. Do you really want to debate what 'perfect' is? Do you really think 70 had a 'great' 'good' 'average' 'below average' or 'poor' performance? Rhetorical question. Maybe you'd like to debate the color of this website? We can also discuss the definition of 'obtuse' if you prefer?

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I know I'll get some shit for this but Sid is amazing. Watching him in person, from higher up, you get a sense of how well he thinks the game. For my money he's still the best player in the world.

The biggest takeaway I have from today's game is the Caps are so much better when they go hard to the net. It was infuriating watching them try to make the perfect play only to turn it over and have to play defense but they looked dangerous when they decided to just bust ass to the net and create havoc. More of the latter, please.

I don't think people will give you shit as much as pity you for missing out on this Connor McDavid guy for the last couple years

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
McD is certainly better now.

Different type of player, though. Crosby is more of an elite grinder. McD is finesse and speed.

McDavid actually elevates his linemates to a comical extent while Crosby filters out anyone who isn't a by the numbers north south grinder by doing his thing no matter who he's with.

Really the only must-watch guy in the league at this point, well aside from Ovi when he's about to scalp another all time goaler or Malkin doing his one man Forsberg x Jagr act when Sid is out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad