GDT: Caps vs Flyers (Round Robin #2) - 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
I’ve never felt that 2018 team was comparable to the 17 and 16 ones.

2018 was such a watered down roster, it had large swaths of the season it looked horrendous, it was probably the the lowest hyped playoff team of the Ovi era (that first playoffs against the Flyers withstanding).

2017 was a wagon. Easily the best regular season Caps team I’ve ever seen.

2017 was a better team. They controlled the play against the Penguins a lot more than 2018. Fleury stood on his head in 2017 and Holtby was poor.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
4 straight playoff losses and 6 of 7 losses for Reirden.
Reirden now 3-6 in his coaching career in playoffs. If the team gets the 4 seed in round robin and bounced in first round - you have to think maybe it’s time to get rid of him. The team is already old and if Reirden isn’t the guy caps can’t keep wasting time.

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
4 straight playoff losses and 6 of 7 losses for Reirden.
Reirden now 3-6 in his coaching career in playoffs. If the team gets the 4 seed in round robin and bounced in first round - you have to think maybe it’s time to get rid of him. The team is already old and if Reirden isn’t the guy caps can’t keep wasting time.
Dude are we really f***ing counting a shootout loss as a playoff loss?

Jun 15, 2007
Given how shit we looked before the break, this is is really discouraging.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
the main thing i noticed in these 2 games is that the forecheck is not that good. yes there are rare hits that connect but nothing came out of it. this team is putting way to much responsibility on the defense to create good passes out of the zone. relying on this alone will not work. every team has a gudas on the ice at some point. create pressure and profit, i bet mastermind todd is overanalyzing things and forces watever tactical idea he came up with in his home office on this team.

well lets hope the caps add some physicality when the real playoffs begin.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
why is everyone talking with full conviction about penguins in the first round? they are down 2-1, play like a dog shit (especially malkin) and canadiens most likely will kick their asses. we are not good but pittsburgh isn't any better, they suck badly

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Dude are we really f***ing counting a shootout loss as a playoff loss?
The caps still played good for line 20 minutes total against Tampa.

just look at today - penalties right off bat. Stupid, undisciplined penalties. Then bad and sloppy play.

They’ve played decent hockey for maybe a period and a half of the six periods so far.

Say what you want about the shootout - but caps are playing some of the worst hockey of all the teams so far.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
why is everyone talking with full conviction about penguins in the first round? they are down 2-1, play like a dog shit (especially malkin) and canadiens most likely will kick their asses. we are not good but pittsburgh isn't any better, they suck badly

well if we don’t play then it’s probably Carolina - so a tougher matchup. Canes have played really good thus far - and Reirdon got it handed to him by being badly out coached in the playoff series last year

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
We honestly got dealt a bogus officiating hand today. I’ve watched at least 10 minutes if not more of every bubble game (it pays to be a teacher right now), and most crews have been treating these game like regular playoffs. Today was the first game I watched that was officiated like a regular season game in November.

I wouldn’t change a thing regarding our physical play.

Reactions: max21

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
The caps still played good for line 20 minutes total against Tampa.

just look at today - penalties right off bat. Stupid, undisciplined penalties. Then bad and sloppy play.

They’ve played decent hockey for maybe a period and a half of the six periods so far.

Say what you want about the shootout - but caps are playing some of the worst hockey of all the teams so far.

Blablabla be more disingenuous to prove your point.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Backstrom looks like a slug out there

Fine. He looks like a slug. He played almost 22 mins for the most among forwards. He played the most shtoi of any forward. The penalty kill was 6 for 6. He was matched against Giroux who got nothing. I might be wrong but I think he set up Vrana's breakaway. I guess you could expect more. But to say he sucked is wrong.

Reactions: JenniferH

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
We are dumb and we are average.
What a crap effort that was. This team doesnt have the ability to 'flip the switch'. No team does. You play good by playing good. you play better by playing good first.

Reactions: Heath

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
well if we don’t play then it’s probably Carolina - so a tougher matchup. Canes have played really good thus far - and Reirdon got it handed to him by being badly out coached in the playoff series last year
I mean I don’t know if you can call losing in OT of game 7 to a team that went to the ECF as “badly out coached”. They were (and are) just a terrible matchup for us.

Reirden has enough question marks as is, I don’t know why this board tries to be hyperbolic with it. If we lose first round I think he has a very short leash next year. I think he’ll essentially need to deliver us to the ECF by the end of next year to not be fired.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Blablabla be more disingenuous to prove your point.
It’s not proving a point. The fact is Reirden has lost 6 of last 7 playoff games. He’s in year two after the same core of this team won a Stanley Cup and it’s looking like possibly finishing last in the round robin and could be two straight round of 16 exits.

We finally have Holtby playing well and caps are still getting beat and looking awful. Reirden has to learn to adjust for once.

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
It’s not proving a point. The fact is Reirden has lost 6 of last 7 playoff games. He’s in year two after the same core of this team won a Stanley Cup and it’s looking like possibly finishing last in the round robin and could be two straight round of 16 exits.

We finally have Holtby playing well and caps are still getting beat and looking awful. Reirden has to learn to adjust for once.

They ARE NOT PLAYOFF GAMES. PLAYOFF = GO HOME. Even the NHL considers the play in games not playoff games. Stop lying

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
No Carlson changes everything. We'll see if he plays or not. If not, I don't give them much of a chance to even get out of the first round if the high-end of the roster aren't all-in. There's too much instability from the likes of Gudas and Siegenthaler with much of the more prominent D slotted into roles probably at least one spot too high for them.

Carlson putting Gudas back in the press box would be huge but the work rate and discipline has to be substantially better. Pittsburgh is probably not a bad match-up from a motivation and style standpoint. Carolina or the Islanders, though, will require a much more structured and fortified approach.

Reactions: max21 and Calicaps

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I see all this Flyers fear. Claude Giroux hasnt won a playoff series since 2012. Most of their top players have no more playoff success to fall back on. Their goalie has never been in the playoffs. The Caps can sure lose to them, but any Caps team that would lose to them wouldnt be going anywhere in the playoffs anyway.

Doh!

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
They ARE NOT PLAYOFF GAMES. PLAYOFF = GO HOME. Even the NHL considers the play in games not playoff games. Stop lying
They literally count for where you’re seeded in next round and count as playoff stats.

it is considered playoffs. That’s why they count as playoff stats.

just because they can’t be “eliminated” it’s still a playoff game. Oshie just said during postgame “it’s weird you can lose all your playoff games and still move on - but hopefully we bounce back”.

yeah, it’s not traditional playoffs - but it does matter for next round. There’s a big different in playing possibly Montreal VS having to play Carolina and then maybe the top seed next round. Caps are making it way harder on themselves.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
No Carlson and no Eller. PP looked bad. Top 6 not where they need to be. Stupid penalties. But it’s not a wailing and lamentation situation either. Holtby good and pk good. Also, the whole play and win round robin so we get the suckiest next round opponent thing is totally overrated - since that’s likely to be a defense-oriented, hard to play against team like the Isles, BJs, or Habs that we always have fits with anyway. So I’m not inclined to freak out here

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad