GDT: Caps vs Flyers (Round Robin #2) - 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
We need Carlson back ASAP. Gudas should not sniff the lineup. If it wasn’t for handedness I think we’d see Fever. Don’t think the staff wants to roll with 5 LD and Jensen if Carlson is out

Reactions: Pomee

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Gudas was the flyers No.1 when we played them in the playoffs a while back. No.1 in terms of impact on the game. He is so scared of making mistakes now that he makes mistakes. took him till the last 4 minutes of the game to actually try and hit people.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think it's fair to say that everyone is concerned lol
I think we should be concerned. Our strength is obviously more in the offensive zone than the d zone. Maybe not having Carlson in the lineup hurts more than people think. Alot of the so called experts say that Carlsons offensive production is directly related to the talent around him. Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe it's Carlson that makes everyone else better.

Reactions: Pomee and tenken00

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Wait, I thought TR didn’t have any balls and wasn’t a competent coach? :sarcasm:

Kuznetsov didn’t come to play today, which is sad considering they had a few days in between games.
I don't think that move makes him look like a competent coach. It makes it look like he is singling out one player as the scapegoat.
I have noticed over the past 2 seasons that Reirden doesn't like to take responsibility for the teams failures. He puts everything on the players.
Sorry if this offends anyone but I think Reirden is a terrible coach. He just happened to inherit a Stanley Cup winning team.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Gudas was the flyers No.1 when we played them in the playoffs a while back. No.1 in terms of impact on the game. He is so scared of making mistakes now that he makes mistakes. took him till the last 4 minutes of the game to actually try and hit people.

That first Laughton goal was especially egregious because Gudas wasn't even pressured by anyone. Gudas had all the time in the world and just fires it straight to Hayes who was just holding back lol.. like whaaaaat? Made me laugh more than anything else really.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I am convinced nobody cares about these games. Even with the game o the line in the 3rd period against TB, neither team was skating all that hard.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY

He was fined like 300k a while back so ever since then he's been playing pretty soft. A soft Gudas is useless but its understandable.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The absolutely aren't and IMO it's a real disadvantage. The format stinks. The "qualifying" teams are playing real playoff hockey while the actual qualified teams are playing the largely meaningless end of the regular season. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of the round robin team was out early as a consequence.
If nothing else a week off for Carlson and Eller is a gift

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
In defense of Gudas:

the weird disconnect between typical playoff officiating and the pre-season soft calls against the Caps we saw today really neuter his strengths (Kempny too). Like Orpik, some guys are liabilities during the open ice Charmin reffing days of the regular season, but MVPs during the small ice/clutch city days of the playoffs. I’ve beaten this horse to death, but today’s calls were not consistent with the other officiating in the bubble of general playoffs.

In prosecution of Gudas:

He basically already admitted he’s gone after this season, he doesn’t think we should be playing, and he’s looking towards his next contract.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Seeding high may not matter when nobody has momentum or clear home ice advantage. Play these RR games to stay healthy and get up to game speed.

Jarias2311

Feb 2, 2020
That's a plan to get Montreal, Pitts or Carolina... you know to exorcize the demons.
We’re not going to play Montreal bc of reseeding. Pretty much if Montreal wins we’ll play either Carolina/NYI

If Pitt comes back and wins the series which we all expect to be the case we will play either Pitt or Carolina.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think we should be concerned. Our strength is obviously more in the offensive zone than the d zone. Maybe not having Carlson in the lineup hurts more than people think. Alot of the so called experts say that Carlsons offensive production is directly related to the talent around him. Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe it's Carlson that makes everyone else better.

Offensive defensemen never get the credit they deserve and carry more criticism than they earn. People around the league dont think Carlson is even that good and there are even some here that agree with that.

Kempny Gudas is not an NHL 2nd pair. Kempny got burned in the first game and Gudas in this game. Thats without subtracting all of the quality breakouts, exit passes, offensive chances, offensive zone keeps and other things that Carlson does without flash. The Caps dont really have another defenseman that does those things beyond Orlov who is limited due to his shutdown assignments.

Come game 1 of round 1 if Carlson is out, I expect Jensen to move up to the spot with Kempny and for Gudas and Siegy to play more managed minutes. My only optimism here is that Gudas is with Kempny so to not disrupt the 3rd pair and that would suggest the team expects Carlson to play

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Seeding high may not matter when nobody has momentum or clear home ice advantage. Play these RR games to stay healthy and get up to game speed.

I cant see how they are doing that by skating Orlov and Backstrom into dust today.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Didnt watch because of traveling. Sounds like a good decision. And my comment of possible Caps fate wasnt appreciated, mind you.

Lets be reality. Caps can get on a long sucking streak. Maybe they already are unfortunately.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Toward the end of the regular season, teams make a point of being on their game the last 5-10 contests. And oftentimes those games aren't for seeding.

The exhibition/round-robin apologetics are lame.

They look like doo-doo, and Reirden is a quick exit from being doneso.

Totally agree. There are so many apologists around here and so many damned excuses.

Go ask the Bolts if these games are meaningless. Go ask the Flyers. Or Vegas. Or Colorado. You know what the difference is? The Caps won their Cup and they just aren't hungry enough to win another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad