GDT: Caps vs Flyers (Round Robin #2) - 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I don't think that move makes him look like a competent coach. It makes it look like he is singling out one player as the scapegoat.
I have noticed over the past 2 seasons that Reirden doesn't like to take responsibility for the teams failures. He puts everything on the players.
Sorry if this offends anyone but I think Reirden is a terrible coach. He just happened to inherit a Stanley Cup winning team.
If that’s how you see it then fair enough. I recall many posters here criticizing TR for not sitting players who were having rough games. Kuznetsov deserved for sit and he deserved to be called it. He actually should have been called out a long time ago for his sub par play

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If that’s how you see it then fair enough. I recall many posters here criticizing TR for not sitting players who were having rough games. Kuznetsov deserved for sit and he deserved to be called it. He actually should have been called out a long time ago for his sub par play

Accountability matters, unless you hate the coach and no matter what moves he makes the sharks circling in the water aren’t impressed.

It was absolutely right to send a wake up call.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not making excuses. The team was terrible today outside of 70 and the PK. I just think all the singling out of 19 is kinda weird given that he played like 8 minutes on the kill and all game against the Flyers top line and was perfect in that role, but Vrana, Kuzy, Wilson, and Ovie did squat and get a pass.

take it up with the person who singled him out then....I commented on a comment. I don’t take silence as a pass but to each their own.

Reactions: Calicaps

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
In defense of Gudas:

the weird disconnect between typical playoff officiating and the pre-season soft calls against the Caps we saw today really neuter his strengths (Kempny too). Like Orpik, some guys are liabilities during the open ice Charmin reffing days of the regular season, but MVPs during the small ice/clutch city days of the playoffs. I’ve beaten this horse to death, but today’s calls were not consistent with the other officiating in the bubble of general playoffs.

Maybe, although I saw tons of soft penalties being called against the Canadiens in game 1. I think they had 8 penalties. Not all of them were soft but a few were.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
someone brought up 19.....not me, so do your thing if you have someone to critique.
Lol I had no intentions on criticizing anyone. The entire team has been mediocre. We haven't created alot of high danger chances, whether it's on the rush or with our forecheck. On the plus side I don't think we have been terrible defensively. We have the occasional breakdown which seems to always cost us.
The d core hasn't been great but I think the forwards have done a good job on the back check.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Sure Backstrom has looked slow but honestly none of our stars have looked good. The whole team looks old and uninspired. Other then Holtby I am struggling to identify a player who was really impressed so far. I think our best forward right now may be Wilson.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
If the top two centers either can't or won't play at a top level, this team is going nowhere.

Backstrom is only 33 and he's looking like he's over the hill. I was hoping that he was carrying an injury during the regular season, and the break would let him heal. Apparently not. Looks the same. That makes me sad.

The other guy is a maximum head case.

Lot's of $ tied up in these two going forward.

Maybe it turns around when the real action starts. Fingers crossed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Backstrom is only 33 and he's looking like he's over the hill.

I dont get this. Looks like he is over the hill after playing the most TOI among forwards. He played the most SHTOI among forwards in a game with SIX penalty kills and no goals against. He was checking the Flyers top line who got nothing. Explain this over the hill thing to me because I dont get it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sure Backstrom has looked slow but honestly none of our stars have looked good. The whole team looks old and uninspired. Other then Holtby I am struggling to identify a player who was really impressed so far. I think our best forward right now may be Wilson.

Geez, you know I had been thinking that Wilson looks off. He is hitting but has goofed some uncharacteristic turnovers and doesnt look sharp. But what do i know? I think Backstrom has been excellent

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Other than being an effective penalty killer there’s been nothing objectively excellent about Backstrom’s game. His line has contributed nothing offensively and has looked like the worst even strength line in both games (and it hasn’t been particularly close either). He looks slow and not at all dangerous or a threat offensively. Being an effective penalty killer and providing nothing offensively is fine for a 4th liner playing 8 minutes a game and making a million dollars but this team is going nowhere without him stepping his game up by a considerable margin.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Other than being an effective penalty killer there’s been nothing objectively excellent about Backstrom’s game. His line has contributed nothing offensively and has looked like the worst even strength line in both games (and it hasn’t been particularly close either). He looks slow and not at all dangerous or a threat offensively. Being an effective penalty killer and providing nothing offensively is fine for a 4th liner playing 8 minutes a game and making a million dollars but this team is going nowhere without him stepping his game up by a considerable margin.
Exactly. He's paid extremely well to provide at both ends of the ice. If Backstrom continues to struggle offensively, I wouldn't be opposed to putting the Vrana-Eller-Oshie line back together when Eller returns to the bubble.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

1st. Backstrom's first 5 on 5 responsibility in that game was to check Giroux and keep that line off the board. Success there too. That isnt some 4th liner gig. On the power play he didnt turn the puck over and retrieved dump in's well. Beyond that, with that pp lay out what he can do is significantly reduced. Even strenth. I dont know if you noticed but Vrana barely played. The reason was all the penalty killing and the pp's. That line barely skated 5 on 5 shifts.

I dont know if you have ever heard a coach talk about how penalty killing drains the players more than anything else. That repeated penalty kills destroys 5 on 5 play.

I believe Reirden said something similar in his post game presser yesterday.

Meanwhile, I have listed a number of high level contributions that Backstrom made yesterday. They didnt lose because of him. Do you want to talk about Kuznetsov now?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
1st. Backstrom's first 5 on 5 responsibility in that game was to check Giroux and keep that line off the board. Success there too. That isnt some 4th liner gig. On the power play he didnt turn the puck over and retrieved dump in's well. Beyond that, with that pp lay out what he can do is significantly reduced. Even strenth. I dont know if you noticed but Vrana barely played. The reason was all the penalty killing and the pp's. That line barely skated 5 on 5 shifts.

I dont know if you have ever heard a coach talk about how penalty killing drains the players more than anything else. That repeated penalty kills destroys 5 on 5 play.

Meanwhile, I have listed a number of high level contributions that Backstrom made yesterday. They didnt lose because of him. Do you want to talk about Kuznetsov now?
He's not paid to just shut down the other line. They could shell out a lot less than $11 million to a player to do that full time.

Yes he had to PK, but that really shouldn't be an excuse for a guy who is expected to be one of the best players in the entire league. He still needs to provide offensively if this team has any shot of making it out of the first round.

His stat line for Monday's game against Tampa: Over 20 minutes of ice time, 3 minutes being on the PP, and only a secondary assist on the Kuznetsov PP goal.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

To be fair, Backie has had plenty of turnovers in the last few games, either fumbling the puck or miss firing on a pass. These get noticed a lot because A) people watch the puck carrier a lot more than they do a defender off the puck (where Backie has excelled as you point out) and B) its unusual for Backie to be so unsteady with the puck. But his puck play lately hasn't been great. Chalk it up to whatever we want to speculate about - rust, old age, an old injury, whatever. But Backie used to be one of the most sure players with the puck and he's not looking like himself in that regard lately. People have noticed it an called him out on it.

For me personally though, Kuzy single handedly cost the Caps the Philly game with his egregious lapses that lead directly to goals 2 and 3. Gudas early mistake was something they could overcome. Not Kuzy's dual back breakers.

Reactions: txpd

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
anyone else notice that this game was rather bad by kuznetsov? he had some plays that almost directly lead to goals and idk what the hell he was thinking in the offensive zone

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Backstrom's responsibility is not just to check Giroux, it's to drive offense for his line. It is a bottom six gig to go out there and just be expected to not give up goals, right? And maybe the second line didn't play a lot at ES because they were terrible for the second game in a row? I understand how PKing taxes players and how it throws off everyone but I'm concerned by how slow and lethargic he looks. Whether or not he's playing minutes on the PK he looks like he's skating in quicksand. And Backstrom did have turnovers and poor passes on the PP. So did everyone else, but it's disingenuous to say he did his job on the PP.

Kuznetsov was noticeably better than Backstrom in the first round robin game. He was great in game one and trash in game two. The team goes nowhere with Kuzy playing like he did in the second game. Next?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I feel the same about this team as I did about the '18 Caps after game 2 versus CBJ.

No expectations. Let's hope history repeats itself.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He's not paid to just shut down the other line. They could shell out a lot less than $11 million to a player to do that full time.l.

Well, except that he is paid for that. The Caps have not for some time used a checking center as a shutdown match up. Trotz used Backstrom for that almost exclusively in the playoffs. Trotz with regularity pumped Backstrom for the Selke. This is why he plays with Oshie who is also a primary defensive forward. Its why they prefer Kuznetsov with Ovechkin. This is nothing new.

Now if you want to complain, you could consider the power play set up that gives him no impactful options to speak of. Of course that is because Carlson is down and that's no one's fault

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Well, except that he is paid for that. The Caps have not for some time used a checking center as a shutdown match up. Trotz used Backstrom for that almost exclusively in the playoffs. Trotz with regularity pumped Backstrom for the Selke. This is why he plays with Oshie who is also a primary defensive forward. Its why they prefer Kuznetsov with Ovechkin. This is nothing new.

Now if you want to complain, you could consider the power play set up that gives him no impactful options to speak of. Of course that is because Carlson is down and that's no one's fault
If you think the Washington Capitals are shelling out $11 million to Nick Backstrom to be nothing more than a shutdown center I don't know what to tell you. He can be a solid defensive player while also driving offense like he has for literally his entire career. He needs to put up points and be A LOT better offensively.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Hags-Backstrom-Kovy, I like this idea!
3rd line nobody expects much from.
Luckily, Eller will be back soon enough to provide spark for Vrana and Oshie.

Although you dont like what you see guys, in 5-6 games we can get different picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad