Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Interestingly enough, AA had been playing RD in the KHL:

Alexeyev has settled in on the right side of the third pair, where he has played for most games in November. Whether a request by the Capitals, or just based on defensive needs by Salavat, Alexeyev’s consistent play on the right side is a good sign for the Capitals, who are thin with right-side defensive prospects.

Capitals Prospect Alex Alexeyev Scores Two Goals In First Six Minutes Of Game

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia

Alexeyev has settled in on the right side of the third pair, where he has played for most games in November. Whether a request by the Capitals, or just based on defensive needs by Salavat, Alexeyev’s consistent play on the right side is a good sign for the Capitals, who are thin with right-side defensive prospects.

good, that kind of makes the LD prospect logjam more managable

Reactions: tenken00

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia

Orlov-AA pair is too logical.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

He played RD most of the time in Red Deer too.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Related to the discussion of AA's side..

Projecting the Washington Capitals' opening-night lineup (The Athletic, $$)

We also know new assistant coach Kevin McCarthy, who’ll run the D for Laviolette, is big on having right shots skate on the right side and left shots on the left.

“It really tends to get the most out of your players,” McCarthy said. “Sometimes, when you’re a left shot playing the right side or vice versa, it makes it tough to play the game and play the style of game that you want to play, especially in the offensive zone, keeping pucks alive on the boards when they come out. Even in transition, with the way teams skate today, the way they pressure you, when you’re making D-to-D passes in the neutral zone and getting pucks up to forwards, having a lefty-righty combination is huge.”

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
lapierre in the first round of cuts over guys like gage gonclaves???? not very encouraging.
I don't think it's too alarming or surprising. The team is stacked and Lapierre missed all of last year and only got to play in four games (I think it was four, correct me if I'm wrong) before the WJC camp due to Covid cancellations so it's not like he had a big body of work for the coaches to go off of.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
lapierre in the first round of cuts over guys like gage gonclaves???? not very encouraging.
Worth noting that while Goncalves was a '20 pick he is an '01-born player so a year older. Also much more of a bottom six checking player.

Lapierre said he was disappointed with his play prior to the shutdown and rightfully so. It wasn't good enough for that level. Once he gets faster & stronger maybe he can do something like the Kuznetsov glide but as of now he's got much of the same weaknesses without 92's top-end glide. He could have forced his way onto the third line but the substance isn't quite there yet.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Worth noting that while Goncalves was a '20 pick he is an '01-born player so a year older. Also much more of a bottom six checking player.

Lapierre said he was disappointed with his play prior to the shutdown and rightfully so. It wasn't good enough for that level. Once he gets faster & stronger maybe he can do something like the Kuznetsov glide but as of now he's got much of the same weaknesses without 92's top-end glide. He could have forced his way onto the third line but the substance isn't quite there yet.

Hopefully his first Capitals training camp will be a good experience for him to be ready for WJC 2022

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
McMichael made Team Canada.

For those interested, here's Wheeler's analysis on McMichael's play in the WJC camp for Canada:

"McMichael was quietly excellent in all three intrasquad games. Like top-three-player-in-camp quietly excellent. When he’s not getting open for slot opportunities of his own, he’s sliding deft passes under sticks, going to the front of the net, or making quick decisions to put pucks in behind defenders. He has also been the most effective player in camp from below the goal line, keeping his head up to make a series of low-to-high plays that have resulted in chances and goals. His wrister will make him a threat from mid-range in the tournament but the rest of that could help a potential case for the event’s end-of-tournament awards and all-star teams. If Alexis Lafreniere isn’t returned, count on McMichael to be Team Canada’s top left wing. He and Dylan Cozens (who has been used at centre but played right wing in last year’s tournament) already have clear chemistry but I’d be interested in seeing Cozens moved to the wing and one of Dach or Quinton Byfield slotted between the two of them on the top line. McMichael is just so darn consistent."

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
For those interested, here's Wheeler's analysis on McMichael's play in the WJC camp for Canada:

"McMichael was quietly excellent in all three intrasquad games. Like top-three-player-in-camp quietly excellent. When he’s not getting open for slot opportunities of his own, he’s sliding deft passes under sticks, going to the front of the net, or making quick decisions to put pucks in behind defenders. He has also been the most effective player in camp from below the goal line, keeping his head up to make a series of low-to-high plays that have resulted in chances and goals. His wrister will make him a threat from mid-range in the tournament but the rest of that could help a potential case for the event’s end-of-tournament awards and all-star teams. If Alexis Lafreniere isn’t returned, count on McMichael to be Team Canada’s top left wing. He and Dylan Cozens (who has been used at centre but played right wing in last year’s tournament) already have clear chemistry but I’d be interested in seeing Cozens moved to the wing and one of Dach or Quinton Byfield slotted between the two of them on the top line. McMichael is just so darn consistent."

And here's what Wheeler had to say about Lapierre: "After a stellar return to action in the QMJHL, at the end of a long year and a half, I’d pegged Lapierre as a candidate for one of the team’s extra forward spots because of his ability to potentially help out up and down the lineup. He’s a player Team Canada has typically liked. He’s a guy who has performed well internationally, he could’ve played on the second power-play unit if need be, his pace and detail could have lent itself to second penalty-kill usage, and he’s the type who’s always moving and works with a variety of linemates. But the truth is that he got outplayed by the others who were in that same tier as he was. When it came time for cuts, he would’ve been among mine as well. I thought he looked consistently good in the first of the three scrimmages he participated in but he stickhandled himself into trouble and looked like he was forcing the issue in the second. When I saw that he wasn’t among those at the top of the scoresheet in the third, the cut felt inevitable."

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
CMM was centering the 4th line in today's first WJC practice. Guess we expect that to change, but curious placement.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
CMM was centering the 4th line in today's first WJC practice. Guess we expect that to change, but curious placement.

Not terribly surprising considering Canada's center depth. If he's at center, it will be hard to pass Byfield and Cozens, and even Newhook is quite a player. Ultimately I think they'll play CMM on the wing, but if he's at center he'll likely be a bottom sixer for the team.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
This is a few days late, but Wheeler's take on the two Caps prospects during cut time on team Canada:

Wheeler: Final thoughts on Team Canada's 2021 world junior selection camp

C Hendrix Lapierre (Washington Capitals)

After a stellar return to action in the QMJHL, at the end of a long year and a half, I’d pegged Lapierre as a candidate for one of the team’s extra forward spots because of his ability to potentially help out up and down the lineup. He’s a player Team Canada has typically liked. He’s a guy who has performed well internationally, he could’ve played on the second power-play unit if need be, his pace and detail could have lent itself to second penalty-kill usage, and he’s the type who’s always moving and works with a variety of linemates. But the truth is that he got outplayed by the others who were in that same tier as he was. When it came time for cuts, he would’ve been among mine as well. I thought he looked consistently good in the first of the three scrimmages he participated in but he stickhandled himself into trouble and looked like he was forcing the issue in the second. When I saw that he wasn’t among those at the top of the scoresheet in the third, the cut felt inevitable.

LW Connor McMichael (Washington Capitals)

McMichael was quietly excellent in all three intrasquad games. Like top-three-player-in-camp quietly excellent. When he’s not getting open for slot opportunities of his own, he’s sliding deft passes under sticks, going to the front of the net, or making quick decisions to put pucks in behind defenders. He has also been the most effective player in camp from below the goal line, keeping his head up to make a series of low-to-high plays that have resulted in chances and goals. His wrister will make him a threat from mid-range in the tournament but the rest of that could help a potential case for the event’s end-of-tournament awards and all-star teams. If Alexis Lafreniere isn’t returned, count on McMichael to be Team Canada’s top left wing. He and Dylan Cozens (who has been used at centre but played right wing in last year’s tournament) already have clear chemistry but I’d be interested in seeing Cozens moved to the wing and one of Dach or Quinton Byfield slotted between the two of them on the top line. McMichael is just so darn consistent.

Reactions: Calicaps

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Just a reminder that tonight starts the first and only exhibition WJC games for Caps prospects Connor McMichael (Canada vs Russia) at 6 pm ET and Martin Hugo Has (Czech Republic vs Slovakia) at 9:30 pm ET. NHL Network is showing both. Not sure what platforms are streaming.

Reactions: Langway
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad