Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia

bogdan trineyev got like 5 minutes of playing time in a 3-2 loss to lokomotiv, dynamo moscow hates playing the bottom six for some reason

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Is there some fact based evidence that body checking somehow makes it easier to catch covid. Players will constant be in contact around each other anyways.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Is there some fact based evidence that body checking somehow makes it easier to catch covid. Players will constant be in contact around each other anyways.
no, the logic that the people arguing against body checking is using is the recent qmjhl outbreak

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

It's a truly bizarre half measure. If it's not safe enough for them to body check each other, it's surely not safe enough for them to be in the same locker room and training spaces.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Scott Wheeler released his roster projections for the WJC on the Athletic today. He projects the rosters for CAN, USA, SWE, FIN, and RUS

Has McMichael as the top line LW and Lapierre as one of the extra forwards.

"My top nine came together pretty quickly. I think each of those players deserves to be locks.
Kirby Dach will be the team’s No. 1 centre, and I like the stylistic fit that returnees Connor McMichael and Dylan Cozens offer him on the top line."

"For the thirteenth and fourteenth forwards, I settled on Hendrix Lapierre and Jakob Pelletier. Lapierre has played so well in the QMJHL that it feels like a disservice not to include him."

The only other Caps prospect he has making one of those teams is Oskar Magnusson as an extra forward for Sweeden.

"I like slick Capitals draftee Oskar Magnusson and giant Red Wings prospect Elmer Soderblom (he’s 6-foot-7!) as my extra forwards because of the variety of looks they provide."

Doesn't have Bogdon Trineyev making the Russian squad.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Scott Wheeler released his roster projections for the WJC on the Athletic today. He projects the rosters for CAN, USA, SWE, FIN, and RUS

Has McMichael as the top line LW and Lapierre as one of the extra forwards.

"My top nine came together pretty quickly. I think each of those players deserves to be locks.
Kirby Dach will be the team’s No. 1 centre, and I like the stylistic fit that returnees Connor McMichael and Dylan Cozens offer him on the top line."

"For the thirteenth and fourteenth forwards, I settled on Hendrix Lapierre and Jakob Pelletier. Lapierre has played so well in the QMJHL that it feels like a disservice not to include him."

The only other Caps prospect he has making one of those teams is Oskar Magnusson as an extra forward for Sweeden.

"I like slick Capitals draftee Oskar Magnusson and giant Red Wings prospect Elmer Soderblom (he’s 6-foot-7!) as my extra forwards because of the variety of looks they provide."

Doesn't have Bogdon Trineyev making the Russian squad.
i disagree with him not having trineyev as at least an extra but im pretty confident trineyev will make the 2021 WJC roster if he keeps playing as well as he is, as he's doing pretty well for an 18 year old in russia

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
i disagree with him not having trineyev as at least an extra but im pretty confident trineyev will make the 2021 WJC roster if he keeps playing as well as he is, as he's doing pretty well for an 18 year old in russia
He wasn't named to a recent tune-up type roster, though, and without the CHL/Russia tournament as a showcase option this year he might not get much of an opportunity. Historically Russia also by and large tends to go with 19 year old's.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I should add that Magnusson was also not named to Sweden's showcase U20 event so he too seems more likely a year away.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
I seem to remember Wheeler implying in the article that this was who he personally would choose and less so what he was necessarily predicting. I kind of skimmed the article a bit, but that was my off hand impression. He did specifically say that he thought the Russian roster would differ the most from his personal selections because they tend to choose big burly players and favor home grown talent, but that he was personally more excited about smaller skilled Russian prospects at the moment. He also was clear in his past assessment of Trineyev that he was not convinced of his upside as a prospect, so I am not surprised he ignored him.

I, personally, think Trineyev has a good shot at making it. He’s obviously having a really nice season so far, so he has some momentum. Hopefully things go well for him in the KHL.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I just want to make sure I'm not crazy, but saying Trineyev has middle six forward upside isnt crazy, right? He has some good tools and plays against the boards very well, he's just very raw as a prospect and will probably take a while to develop

Reactions: Futures Passed

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I don't think it's crazy at all, but he's way too far away to have much confidence in that. He'd have to continue developing commensurate with his age and competition.

My personal concern with guys like him is that a lot of their success is due to a size advantage (and knowing how to use it) against their average competition. But can they sustain success at higher levels when the competition is bigger, physically, and the advantage is reduced. They need to continue to develop other skills that don't involve simply out muscling the opposition.

It also feels to me like playing a high physicality game increases the risk of injury which can of course slow or stunt their development. I don't know if that feeling is backed up by any objective evidence/analysis or not, though. :shrug

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Would love to be a fly on Dale Hunter's wall when they told him this.

74d67ba50acb545a9f13e8a33d87633a.gif

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Japers has the first part of their Caps prospect rankings (25-11):

The Capitals’ Top 25 Under 25: 2020-21, Part I

25) Riley Sutter
24) Kody Clark
23) Lucas Johansen
22) Mitchell Gibson
21) Hugo Has
20) Shane Gersich
19) Bogdan Trineyev
18) Oskar Magnusson
17) Beck Malenstyn
16) Brett Leason
15) Axel Jonsson-Fjallby
14) Joe Snively
13) Garrett Pilon
12) Damien Riat
11) Bobby Nardella

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

25) Riley Sutter
24) Kody Clark
23) Lucas Johansen
22) Mitchell Gibson
21) Hugo Has
20) Shane Gersich
19) Bogdan Trineyev
18) Oskar Magnusson
17) Beck Malenstyn
16) Brett Leason
15) Axel Jonsson-Fjallby
14) Joe Snively
13) Garrett Pilon
12) Damien Riat
11) Bobby Nardella
Pretty different than ours. Wondering who they have top 10 that we didn’t?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Pretty different than ours. Wondering who they have top 10 that we didn’t?

It would have to be some combination of

McMichael
Lapierre
Fehervary
Alexeyev
Protas
Vanecek

And probably also added

Samsonov
Sprong
Vrana

And

I'm forgetting someone.

They do state Under 25, so not just strictly those that haven't made the team yet I think.

Edit: Who am I missing? It's not like the Caps have a large stable of young pros or prospects lol.

Edit: Edit: Ohhh right right Siegenthaler.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

25) Riley Sutter
24) Kody Clark
23) Lucas Johansen
22) Mitchell Gibson
21) Hugo Has
20) Shane Gersich
19) Bogdan Trineyev
18) Oskar Magnusson
17) Beck Malenstyn
16) Brett Leason
15) Axel Jonsson-Fjallby
14) Joe Snively
13) Garrett Pilon
12) Damien Riat
11) Bobby Nardella

I'd have Trineyev over Magnusson for sure, but otherwise this looks pretty solid. Might have had Geisser on the list over one (or both?) of Sutter/Clark, as well.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I'd have Trineyev over Magnusson for sure, but otherwise this looks pretty solid. Might have had Geisser on the list over one (or both?) of Sutter/Clark, as well.

I get the Magnusson hype, he's got a motor that never quits, good hockey instincts, likes to go straight to the net, can shoot and pass, and has a mentality that can be described as a bull dog's tenacity...

But.. but.. he's so small :laugh:

I know that there are players his size (5'10" 165 lbs) that are excelling in the NHL these days. And that at only 18 he's still got time to grow and definitely fill out. And I think until he does that, I just can't fully buy into it yet. It's just so random for the Caps to develop him. Maybe he can be our Gourde.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I get the Magnusson hype, he's got a motor that never quits, good hockey instincts, likes to go straight to the net, can shoot and pass, and has a mentality that can be described as a bull dog's tenacity...

I know that there are players his size (5'10" 165 lbs) that are excelling in the NHL these days. And that at only 18 he's still got time to grow and definitely fill out. And I think until he does that, I just can't fully buy into it yet. It's just so random for the Caps to develop him. Maybe he can be our Gourde.

I think there's definitely room for smaller guys to thrive in the NHL, but at this point he's still a very long ways off. If he has a strong season or two in Sweden I could see him climbing rapidly, but I wanna see that happen first.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA

If you have speed and skill in today's NHL, height doesn't matter. I'm sure he'll fill out from 165 over time.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
If you have speed and skill in today's NHL, height doesn't matter. I'm sure he'll fill out from 165 over time.

From what I've read (from several places), Magnusson's skating will need to really improve as well. He's got it all - the full package - but the size and speed. Although like others on here has noted, skating ability is something you grow into since most of these kids are still going through physical maturity and their strides are a little awkward this young as they are getting used to the changes in their bodies still.

Oskar Magnusson Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #111

Magnusson’s skating is a bit of a work in progress. He is not a bad skater by any means, but he lacks the elite skating skill that would help him to overcome his lack of size. Magnusson has good but not great speed. His acceleration is above average and his first few steps are also decent but not remarkable. Magnusson has good edgework and agility. He gets around the ice well enough and away from defenders with his smarts. However, if he were more explosive it would take his game to the next level. Magnusson has a low centre of gravity. This helps him to maintain his balance and fight through checks. It also helps him win battles for loose pucks along the boards and in front of the net.

But our novacaps site says that the opinions are mixed:

A Closer Look At Capitals 2020 Draft Pick Oskar Magnusson

The opinions on his skating are mixed, with some saying he is not a bad skater but not an elite skater enough to overcome his small size. While others consider him a great skater. He is considered a very smart player. He keeps his head up while carrying the puck and sees the ice extremely well. He anticipates where his teammates are headed and can find them with a pass through a tight passing lane.

I did read that he knows how to slow down and speed up in spurts, and uses that to great effect to get by defenders much like how a wide receiver or running back runs in football to be a lot more elusive or create separation. That's actually very promising if a young skater can already show that.

Oskar Magnusson at eliteprospects.com

Magnusson uses tempo-swings to beat opponents on the outside before crashing the net with the puck. He quickly spots passing lanes and takes advantage of them. He's also not afraid to challenge defenders 1-on-1 in big-ice situations, displaying a high level of creativity and confidence in his abilities.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010

25) Riley Sutter
24) Kody Clark
23) Lucas Johansen
22) Mitchell Gibson
21) Hugo Has
20) Shane Gersich
19) Bogdan Trineyev
18) Oskar Magnusson
17) Beck Malenstyn
16) Brett Leason
15) Axel Jonsson-Fjallby
14) Joe Snively
13) Garrett Pilon
12) Damien Riat
11) Bobby Nardella

And the 2nd part (10-6):

The Capitals’ Top 25 Under 25: 20120-21, Part II

10) Hendrix Lapierre
9) Vitek Vanacek
8) Alexei Protas
7) Connor McMichael
6) Martin Fehervary

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
VV ahead of Lapierre is certainly one take.... :laugh:

They're also ranking Alexeyev ahead of both McMichael and Fehervary. Interesting.

Top 5 are (presumably) Alexeyev, Samsonov, Vrana, Siegenthaler, and (???)Sprong. Seemingly placing high value on those who have already cracked the NHL, and understandable perspective. But a couple of those names are still pretty peculiar to be so high on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->