Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Just a reminder that tonight starts the first and only exhibition WJC games for Caps prospects Connor McMichael (Canada vs Russia) at 6 pm ET and Martin Hugo Has (Czech Republic vs Slovakia) at 9:30 pm ET. NHL Network is showing both. Not sure what platforms are streaming.

Hey thanks for the reminder.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Watched the first period and change of the Czech game last night. (Man, I've missed hockey.) I was pretty impressed with Has' fundamentals - positioning, movement, board play, similar.. just 'steadiness'. A lot of that could simply be from experience and good development environments as a junior player. His shot leading to the first goal was pretty good. But I'm not really sure I saw a standout skill or tool that would help him get to the next level of potential when everyone has those same fundamentals, to where I'd say he's an easy NHL starting d man.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Definitely the right move for Protas I think vs. the WHL, who may not have a season anyway. I think Alexeyev might be better served to come back and play in Hershey. With the added depth in the NHL plus the taxi squad he would be the likely be the #1 all situations D. I wish they had known this was the plan all along for AJF so he could have played against higher competition in the SHL.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
There’s still plenty of time until AHL camp opens up. Gives AA, Riat (who reportedly was recalled from his Swiss team), AJF, Geisser etc. more time to keep playing meaningful games before they have to quarantine for camp.

Plus, wasn’t there some sort of rule on how many players could be in camp?

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
There’s still plenty of time until AHL camp opens up. Gives AA, Riat (who reportedly was recalled from his Swiss team), AJF, Geisser etc. more time to keep playing meaningful games before they have to quarantine for camp.

Plus, wasn’t there some sort of rule on how many players could be in camp?

yes 36 skaters max and unlimited number of goalies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I certainly wouldn't be pulling guys out of seasons in Europe to come play in an abbreviated AHL season this year, especially with so much of the AHL's top talent serving on taxi squad duty. Much better to let them play out their season and playoffs in the KHL or SHL or where have you.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I certainly wouldn't be pulling guys out of seasons in Europe to come play in an abbreviated AHL season this year, especially with so much of the AHL's top talent serving on taxi squad duty. Much better to let them play out their season and playoffs in the KHL or SHL or where have you.
Well they apparently already have Riat on the way to NA according to Swiss news reports.

I think it all depends on how many games the AHL commits to and how they view the development of certain prospects. If it’s 40 games, I’d certainly have AA back in Hershey playing top pairing minutes and all situations. A guy like Geisser probably benefits more from playing in the Swiss league all year with Hershey’s blueline crowded. Nardella can’t leave since his contracts doesn’t allow it. AJF is playing 2nd tier Swedish hockey. Is that better than AHL games, especially for a guy who is at a crossroads in his career and needs to take the next step?

The ECHL seems to be doing just fine. I’d suspect the AHL could do just as well at containing possible locker room spreads

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Does McMichael ending up on the taxi squad burn a year of his ELC? I’d assume not but it would be foolish to allow that from a management position if that’s the route they choose

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Does McMichael ending up on the taxi squad burn a year of his ELC? I’d assume not but it would be foolish to allow that from a management position if that’s the route they choose
it does not. it counts as being in the minors, as you need waivers to be on it (unless you are waivers exempt, like CMM is)

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
McMichael moves up to 23 in Corey Pronman’s post WJC NHL under 23 rankings. He’s in “Tier 4: Bubble of NHL all-star and top of lineup player”

Previous ranking: No. 66
Skating: Below-average
Puck Skills: Average
Hockey Sense: Average
Compete: Average
Shot: High-end
McMichael continues to climb up my lists the more I watch him. The skating for his size is a concern, but he’s so skilled and smart, and he is a driver for good teams consistently. I think he will be a scorer in the NHL and an important player for Washington in a short amount of time.”

Lapierre moves up to 79. In “Tier 6: Bubble of top-line or pairing and second-line or pairing”

Previous ranking: No. 83
Hockey Sense: Above-average
Compete: Average”

Last edited:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
McMichael moves up to 23 in Corey Pronman’s post WJC NHL under 23 rankings. He’s in “Tier 4: Bubble of NHL all-star and top of lineup player”

Previous ranking: No. 66
Compete: Average
Shot: High-end
McMichael continues to climb up my lists the more I watch him. The skating for his size is a concern, but he’s so skilled and smart, and he is a driver for good teams consistently. I think he will be a scorer in the NHL and an important player for Washington in a short amount of time.”

Lapierre moves up to 79. In “Tier 6: Bubble of top-line or pairing and second-line or pairing”

Previous ranking: No. 83
Hockey Sense: Above-average
Compete: Average”

I know it's his way of grading, but it's just kind of funny when you read it and see:

but he’s so skilled and smart!

:laugh:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I know it's his way of grading, but it's just kind of funny when you read it and see:

but he’s so skilled and smart!

:laugh:

I think that's more of where he's calibrating his "average" value to. Compared to other junior players, almost all of these guys have "above average" or better skills in almost every category. It's when you compare them to established NHL players that you can get a more accurate barometer.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well they apparently already have Riat on the way to NA according to Swiss news reports.

I think it all depends on how many games the AHL commits to and how they view the development of certain prospects. If it’s 40 games, I’d certainly have AA back in Hershey playing top pairing minutes and all situations. A guy like Geisser probably benefits more from playing in the Swiss league all year with Hershey’s blueline crowded. Nardella can’t leave since his contracts doesn’t allow it. AJF is playing 2nd tier Swedish hockey. Is that better than AHL games, especially for a guy who is at a crossroads in his career and needs to take the next step?

The ECHL seems to be doing just fine. I’d suspect the AHL could do just as well at containing possible locker room spreads

Speaking of Riat...he just got suspended for 7 games:

Verfahren National League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad