Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
No chance for Copley next year? Has VV distanced himself? I thought Pheonix was a more than serviceable backup last year and would probably be my choice to step in if we don’t go to market.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Vanecek needs to have a good training camp and the backup role should be his. They need to save money on positions like this to upgrade more important lineup spots.
Samsonov has never played more than 42 games in a season. They're going to need to invest in a quality veteran back-up that can play 30+ games to help Samsonov ease into the full starter role.

Reactions: Silky mitts

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Bob McKenzie's mid-term rankings. Most surprised by Foerster, Bordeleau and Mysak being as low as they are. Liking the placement of Amirov, Gunler, Bourque & Reichel as perhaps being within Washington's range.

Curious what the overall depth and tiering breaks (mainly in the 1st through 2nd rounds) but haven't really seen that yet.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Curious what the overall depth and tiering breaks (mainly in the 1st through 2nd rounds) but haven't really seen that yet.
My mostly armchair take is a bit of separation around 10, 17, 33 and then somewhere around 55. Plenty of time for that to get jumbled as players continue to rise and fall but I at least like the depth of options in the typical fringe first round area from 20 to the early thirties. Perreault, Foerster, Peterka, Gunler, Smilanic, Reichel, Jarvis, Bourque, Bordeleau, Neighbours, Mukhamadullin & Mysak are a pretty solid fringe first round group in terms of tools. All but Mukhamadullin are forwards. Kleven, Poirier or maybe Grans could be other D worth considering but it mainly seems forward-rich. Lots of toolsy speed.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Friday Five: We’ve got ourselves a Rocket Richard Trophy race - TSN.ca
The NHL’s seven-year agreement with the Canadian Hockey League expires on June 30. The two sides haven’t begun formal negotiations yet, but one item that seems to be gaining momentum behind the scenes is the idea of allowing 19-year-old prospects to be assigned to the AHL.
In the current agreement, players drafted from European clubs are the only prospects permitted to play in the AHL as teenagers. This has been a hot-button topic for years in major junior circles, because taking away 19-year-olds means taking away star players.
But some NHL GMs would like to find a more suitable landing spot for players who are stuck in between – those with not much left to accomplish in the CHL, but not quite ready for the bright lights of the NHL....

“You bet I’d like to have more say over a high pick if I had that option,” one Eastern Conference GM said Friday. “I think a lot of my counterparts would at least like to have the ability to keep that player in our system, with our coaches and our development and training staff working with him on a daily basis, rather than in junior.”
OHL commissioner and former CHL president Dave Branch said Friday that he expects to arrange a “date and time” with the NHL to discuss the next agreement....

Rest assured, this will be a major talking point at the NHL’s GM Meetings in Florida in early March....
Interesting blurb as it concerns perhaps McMichael & Protas next season. We'll see.

CMM with two goals so far in the third period, putting him back on a goal per game pace.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Now just five points behind Rossi for most points in the league with three fewer games played. Two goals behind Quinn for the lead with nine fewer games played. He's looking to become just the second OHLer to score a goal per game plus since Tavares did it in '08-09 (DeBrincat in '16-17). (Nick Robertson also in good stead with 36 in 33 so far.)

Last edited:

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Now just five points behind Rossi for most points in the league with three fewer games played. Two goals behind Quinn for the lead with nine fewer games played. He's looking to become just the second OHLer to score a goal per game plus since Tavares did it in '08-09 (DeBrincat in '16-17). (Nick Robertson also in good stead with 36 in 33 so far.)

Always good to see but generally learned the lesson seeing Fehr score back to back 50 goals seasons in the WHL to more rely on the eye test in the current day with the dev camp and the prospect tourney before TC as well as pre-season games to see if a prospect passes the eye test.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I will say having watched more of the Protas highlights that his hockey sense in passing is something I have not seen in a forward prospect for the capitals since kuznetsov.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Can someone in the know educate me on possibility of either McMichael or Protas joining the Caps this season for the playoff run? What are the rules and when do OHL/WHL playoffs typically finish?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Can someone in the know educate me on possibility of either McMichael or Protas joining the Caps this season for the playoff run? What are the rules and when do OHL/WHL playoffs typically finish?

The simplest answer is that players can be recalled once their AHL, junior, or European league teams are eliminated to join a team in the playoffs (so long as they're under a professional contract w/ the NHL team), and this doesn't count against the 23-man roster limit as there is no roster limit in the playoffs. It's fairly common to bring up players even if there's no intention on playing them as just practicing with the team and being part of the process can be helpful and enjoyable. It's also helpful in negotiations with college free agents or players who are eligible to become free agents as if they play in nine NHL games during that time then the first year of their rookie contract is tolled (I'm 95% sure this last point is right).

It gets more complicated if a team wants to recall a player whose season has ended before their (the NHL team) regular season has ended, or if they want to recall a player whose season hasn't ended. As I understand it, a team is allowed four regular recalls between the trade deadline and the end of the regular season, and they're allowed to recall up to three players via regular recall but once they hit the fourth they have to demote someone in order to recall someone else. Believe all of this changes once the playoffs begin.

As for CMM, the likeliest scenario is he joins the Caps for the playoffs once the Knights season is over but likely doesn't play unless there's an injury or the team is in big trouble. I suppose he could get recalled sooner if there are a bunch of injuries after the TDL and HCTR and GMBM think the team needs him but that's a scenario we hope doesn't play out, obviously. Clear as mud?

Reactions: traparatus

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
The simplest answer is that players can be recalled once their AHL, junior, or European league teams are eliminated to join a team in the playoffs (so long as they're under a professional contract w/ the NHL team), and this doesn't count against the 23-man roster limit as there is no roster limit in the playoffs. It's fairly common to bring up players even if there's no intention on playing them as just practicing with the team and being part of the process can be helpful and enjoyable. It's also helpful in negotiations with college free agents or players who are eligible to become free agents as if they play in nine NHL games during that time then the first year of their rookie contract is tolled (I'm 95% sure this last point is right).

It gets more complicated if a team wants to recall a player whose season has ended before their (the NHL team) regular season has ended, or if they want to recall a player whose season hasn't ended. As I understand it, a team is allowed four regular recalls between the trade deadline and the end of the regular season, and they're allowed to recall up to three players via regular recall but once they hit the fourth they have to demote someone in order to recall someone else. Believe all of this changes once the playoffs begin.

As for CMM, the likeliest scenario is he joins the Caps for the playoffs once the Knights season is over but likely doesn't play unless there's an injury or the team is in big trouble. I suppose he could get recalled sooner if there are a bunch of injuries after the TDL and HCTR and GMBM think the team needs him but that's a scenario we hope doesn't play out, obviously. Clear as mud?

Thanks a lot for this write up.

I'm concerned about the complete lack of potential injury replacement for any of the Caps top-6 wingers. I don't think Hershey has anything to offer in that regard either. I was wondering if Caps will pencil in one of the junior players for that role. It's obviously a risky and somewhat drastic move.

Oshie, Vrana and Wilson are all terrific players but an injury to any of them shouldn't derail the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad