Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

On NHLN tonight at 7 eastern. Potential late first rounders include Sanderson, Smilanic, Bordeleau and Brisson. Mike Knuble will be the honorary coach of the NTDP side.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Re: CMM, it's great that he's putting up all these numbers, but from my limited viewing of highlights/team Canada the thing that gives me a bit of pause is this -- what's his truly elite skill?

He seems like a generally well-rounded prospect offensively, but without some kind of truly elite ability, it can be a bit problematic for such guys to really shine in the NHL. (Unless they're Scandinavian, in which case they tend to arrive with built-in elite defensive instincts/discipline, heh)

Jun 15, 2007
Re: CMM, it's great that he's putting up all these numbers, but from my limited viewing of highlights/team Canada the thing that gives me a bit of pause is this -- what's his truly elite skill?

He seems like a generally well-rounded prospect offensively, but without some kind of truly elite ability, it can be a bit problematic for such guys to really shine in the NHL. (Unless they're Scandinavian, in which case they tend to arrive with built-in elite defensive instincts/discipline, heh)

Hockey IQ

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Hockey IQ
And an elite wrister. He doesn't dominate defensively/competitively all-around, hence the likelihood of starting as a winger IMO, but the offensive instincts are pretty high level. In the pre-season with the Caps, the offensive craftiness was on display. If he were completely NHL-ready he'd perhaps be putting up historic OHL numbers. As-is he's still tracking toward something like a top 5 offensive season in that league from the past decade plus.

If there's a question it's about his off puck play perhaps but I think that comes around with pro experience and as he further matures physically.

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

Wrist shot release is 100/100

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
So he's Alex Semin?
Semin would rip a wrister from the top of the circle and in slow motion it’s like how could anyone stop that one. Very heavy and tough to pick up but he needed space to get it off. With CMM it’s like below the hashmarks he scores and in slow motion it’s like I don’t think the goalie picked that up at all. Like there is something going on with this guys hands that’s different than other guys because the goalie was looking short side all the way.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
And an elite wrister. He doesn't dominate defensively/competitively all-around, hence the likelihood of starting as a winger IMO, but the offensive instincts are pretty high level. In the pre-season with the Caps, the offensive craftiness was on display. If he were completely NHL-ready he'd perhaps be putting up historic OHL numbers. As-is he's still tracking toward something like a top 5 offensive season in that league from the past decade plus.

If there's a question it's about his off puck play perhaps but I think that comes around with pro experience and as he further matures physically.
It better be more than just wrister. James Neal has an elite wrister but he's a pretty average/underwhelming player at basically everything else.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'd be thrilled if McMichael has 12 20+ goal seasons, a 40+ goal season, and a 30+ goal season.
Correction: 10 20+ goal seasons out of which 1 is a 40 goal season. Neals also only 4 times managed to reach a 50 pt mark. The longevity is remarkable but the way McMichael gets praised here I suspect people expect more from him than riding coat tails of elite centremen.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I get a very Claude Giroux vibe from McMichael. His passing, his lethal shot, his awesome face-off ability, and he is a better skater.

Would be thrilled if he turned out to be like him.

I think Giroux is more slippery with the puck on his stick. At his best, Giroux manages to find ways around defenders with the puck very well, even when he's not burning through the neutral zone at speed. He can be exceptional in tight spaces when playing at his peak. A really good combination of hockey sense, puck protection, and hands. He also looooves his one timers.

McMichael might pick up a bit of the one timer tendencies from Giroux, but I'm not sure he's going to be as good in tight spaces as Giroux is. Hopefully he will be, as Giroux is one heck of a player. But I'm thinking McMichael is a more stylistic match for Logan Couture. Great vision, good on the rush, able to find the open ice with and without the puck.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I get a very Claude Giroux vibe from McMichael. His passing, his lethal shot, his awesome face-off ability, and he is a better skater.

Would be thrilled if he turned out to be like him.
Where have you seen the passing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad