Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There are tons of clips on all accessible social media with him getting manhandled both in juniors and pro and they just can't stop coming. What's hyperbolic about that?
He's no man child. He's just tall and maybe somewhat unbalanced/immature physically. He could easily add another 20-30 lbs, much of it added lower body strength. It would help with the ricochet effect that tends to happen when he gets hit unsuspectingly. Not that he's slow or a bad skater but it would help in this area as well as general skating explosiveness.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Definitely has some Mike Green level situational awareness or he’s just super unlucky.
I’ve watched the injuries. Definitely unlucky to me. Dude is built like a truck and can still add muscle to his frame for sure. The knee injury - or injuries - is what worried me the most. But, he seems to be getting cheap shotted every once in awhile up high. It’s tough to be able to defend against that and I assume in the minors there’s more dirty shit going on, as players are trying to make a mark as much as they can. 6’4” top prospect is an easy target, especially with some of the dirty ass shots he has taken this year.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

He's got a sort of an easy-looking skill level so I'd consider him on the radar for their first pick for sure. But with 12 goals in 14 games, even in the inflated OHL, he may be moving up more toward the 20 range if he keeps it up.

Loads of OHL info over on Brock's blog.

Last edited:

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019

He's got a sort of an easy-looking skill level so I'd consider him on the radar for their first pick for sure. But with 12 goals in 14 games, even in the inflated OHL, he may be moving up more toward the 20 range if he keeps it up.

Loads of OHL info over on Brock's blog.

Langs, any high-flyers - FWD or D - with high skill level, with obviously more risk, which we could grab at our estimated draft position? Seems we do best with high-skill draft picks.

Thanks for your great insight, as always.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There's definitely what looks like a strong group from the 20 to early 30s range, mostly forwards (OHLers like Mysak, Foerster, Perreault and maybe Chromiak as well as the likes of Amirov, Peterka, Gunler, Reichel, Lapierre, Smilanic, Bourque, Jarvis, Bordeleau, Neighbours and Greig). The one defenseman that may be interesting for them is Helge Grans, a fairly big Swedish RD that's played some games in the SHL. Two injury sliders could be QMJHLers in playmaking center Lapierre and RD Barron.

1+1 for CMM in a 4-2 win over CHL top-ranked Ottawa.

Last edited:

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
As we all know we have a strong like to russian players and there are two that have really caught my eye: Dmitri Ovchinnikov and Marat Khustdinov. Both are really solid players but exactly projected high and I'd like to here your guys opinions on them. Also having Ovchinnikov and Ovechkin would be funny

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
As we all know we have a strong like to russian players and there are two that have really caught my eye: Dmitri Ovchinnikov and Marat Khustdinov. Both are really solid players but exactly projected high and I'd like to here your guys opinions on them. Also having Ovchinnikov and Ovechkin would be funny
Not to mention his first name is Dimitri haha.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia

Protas with 2+2 last night. Apparently in the WHL pucks can be kicked in. Gotta keep this dude. The size+skill aligns too well with what they like.

Protas was definitely a steal. Hopefully his linemate, which we drafted earlier than him, can pick up the pace when they join each other in Hershey

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Protas was definitely a steal. Hopefully his linemate, which we drafted earlier than him, can pick up the pace when they join each other in Hershey

I wish Leason was still with Prince Albert. I know he's an overager so he had to go but as a late bloomer I think he needed another year of juniors before turning pro.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Technically, as a '99 Leason could have returned as an overager but the AHL was a better challenge. He hasn't thrived this season but he's a project and it's valuable learning experience in a depth role. He could have dominated the WHL again but I don't know if it would have paid long-term unless he really took to off-ice training throughout the season and dedicated himself to become more explosive. He's still got some upside it's just that his pace wasn't quite going to lend itself to fast-tracking. Getting to the AHL helps him identify the niche he'll need to fill and all of the areas to improve upon to become that type of player. It's not so much being a skilled as being a real dogged bottom sixer with some size and upside. As with Protas, as he fills out hopefully he adds more edge to go along with that frame.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Technically, as a '99 Leason could have returned as an overager but the AHL was a better challenge. He hasn't thrived this season but he's a project and it's valuable learning experience in a depth role. He could have dominated the WHL again but I don't know if it would have paid long-term unless he really took to off-ice training throughout the season and dedicated himself to become more explosive. He's still got some upside it's just that his pace wasn't quite going to lend itself to fast-tracking. Getting to the AHL helps him identify the niche he'll need to fill and all of the areas to improve upon to become that type of player. It's not so much being a skilled as being a real dogged bottom sixer with some size and upside. As with Protas, as he fills out hopefully he adds more edge to go along with that frame.

I feel like Leason still has potential but might take a few years. He showed that he has skill but he has to adjust to his size level compared to the other players since this isn't junior hockey anymore. Could take a few years but he might be able to be a top 6 winger in 2-3 years

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Eric Florchuk, as an overager, is quietly having a pretty decent season for a 7th round pick. 50 points (19 goals & 31 assists) in 50 games in the W. He has size too: 6'2", just needs to gain some weight, since he's at around 180ish.

Caps will likely offer him an ELC, right?

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Matty P was another 7th rounder. Lewington didn’t work out but he was a 7th rounder as well so it’s still nice to see him playing NHL games.

Forgot about Matty P. He was a definite success story.

I retract my initial statement. The Caps have done decently with their 7th round picks. Probably above league average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad