Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I wonder if Caps will use him at the end of the season assuming we don't acquire anyone and the Knights are eliminated early.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
CMM scouting reports all note his vision as a big part of his game.
All I’ve seen of him, which is admittedly just highlights, the summer thing with the caps, and then the World Juniors (where he’s finally playing with guys as good as him), I don’t know if I saw a pass beside a basic breakout. Maybe a cycle away from the net or 2.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
All I’ve seen of him, which is admittedly just highlights, the summer thing with the caps, and then the World Juniors (where he’s finally playing with guys as good as him), I don’t know if I saw a pass beside a basic breakout. Maybe a cycle away from the net or 2.
Didn’t he have some kind of no look backhand assist in the preseason?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think I missed it

but he could have been trying to bank it in off the D

Second or third angle, when McMichael enters the frame from the left, you can see his head up recognizing that Riat is moving to the far post. Not that any of this means anything but I believe that was an intentional pass.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Having watched all the Canada WJC games where he was playing LW on the 4th line and no PP time (except when some injuries slid him up a bit) he just didn't have the opportunity to have the puck on his stick. Based on last RC/TC he's a good passer but not an elite one like Backstrom/Kuz. For me he's seems to top end project as a goal scoring 2nd line center.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It was worth it the way he played.

Really? He played ten games, they lost in the second round, and now his first contract expires the same season Landeskog does instead of one season later.

Lack of foresight if you ask me.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Really? He played ten games, they lost in the second round, and now his first contract expires the same season Landeskog does instead of one season later.

Lack of foresight if you ask me.

You play to win the Cup... Makar gave his team substantially better chance at winning the Cup.

The Caps cup winning team was full of unwise longterm contracts (Oshie, Orpik, Niskanen), but it was easily worth it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Makar played exactly 10 playoff games for Colorado so I'd assume that's why the contract didn't slide.
He was also a late birthday so I don't think it was eligible to slide once he signed. It was a worthwhile gamble because he's a game-changing talent. They'll deal with his second contract when the time comes. MacKinnon on the cheap for another two years after that helps a great deal.

I like the William Karlsson comparison best for CMM as I'm not sure he has Couture's two-way game. He'll be groomed in those off puck, systematic areas and will fill out eventually in order to be more easily physically assertive but for now I'd project more on his existing strengths. He'll have to evolve, esp. if he's playing center, but out of anyone it's Karlsson that stylistically and in terms of build seems to line up.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
You play to win the Cup... Makar gave his team substantially better chance at winning the Cup.

The Caps cup winning team was full of unwise longterm contracts (Oshie, Orpik, Niskanen), but it was easily worth it.

They were up 3-1 on the Flames, they easily could have sat him in game five. Then you see how it plays out from there.

They will be in Leafs territory soon enough with their contracts. You got Girard, Byram coming, and Makar and these boys are gonna get paid. So like the Leafs last season, they now have to win in the next two seasons.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
They were up 3-1 on the Flames, they easily could have sat him in game five. Then you see how it plays out from there.

They will be in Leafs territory soon enough with their contracts. You got Girard, Byram coming, and Makar and these boys are gonna get paid. So like the Leafs last season, they now have to win in the next two seasons.

only the Leafs are in Leafs territory... none of these other young and upcoming teams have made the bad decisions the Leafs had.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
My avid prospect watchers! Any players look like they can/could have an outside chance at making the club, with a good TC next year, outside of the obvious? I'd put Fever and AA in the obvious category. CMM behind them. I think Vanny will get a chance with the big club, as will Beck and Protas. Where does that leave AJF, Pilon, Pinho, Snively, Gersich, Leason, Clark, Sutter, etc. (many of which need another year or two)?

Any thoughts on who might surprise next year, shoot up the prospect ranks, and have a chance at the big club? Insight is appreciated, as always.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
My avid prospect watchers! Any players look like they can/could have an outside chance at making the club, with a good TC next year, outside of the obvious? I'd put Fever and AA in the obvious category. CMM behind them. I think Vanny will get a chance with the big club, as will Beck and Protas. Where does that leave AJF, Pilon, Pinho, Snively, Gersich, Leason, Clark, Sutter, etc. (many of which need another year or two)?

Any thoughts on who might surprise next year, shoot up the prospect ranks, and have a chance at the big club? Insight is appreciated, as always.

One D of either Fehrevary or Alexeyev and Connor McMichael. That is all.

Backup goalie to Samsonov will be tricky, do they go veteran for cheap cost or Vanecek who has paid his dues with the organization but is still relatively young.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

AA would need to have a huge TC to be on the opening night roster. I know everyone around here loves Fever, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him start the year in the AHL.

Only other spots open are bottom 6 type roles. Outside of CMM, I would say Malenstyn, AJF, and Pinho (in that order) are the ones who could fill the Leipsic role on the 4th line.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

The issue with the forwards is they've got 11 forward spots spoken for the next 2.5 years, 10 spots the next 3.5 years. (assuming Ovy and Vrana resign).

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
AA would need to have a huge TC to be on the opening night roster. I know everyone around here loves Fever, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him start the year in the AHL.

Only other spots open are bottom 6 type roles. Outside of CMM, I would say Malenstyn, AJF, and Pinho (in that order) are the ones who could fill the Leipsic role on the 4th line.

What’s not to love about Fever? Doesn’t negate the roster glut, but some within the Organization think he was NHL-ready LAST year. He should be in the NHL next year. Up to him to play well and earn it.

I think they’ll trade someone from the left side in the next 18 months. AA should get call-up duty next year and be NHL bound in 21-22 IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad