Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
So CMM and Protas can not play in the AHL next season (stupid rule), they have nothing to do in CHL and they probably will not make the NHL team next October. Why don't we loan them to a SHL/NLA/Liiga/KHL Euro team the next season? Is it good for them?

SoulessGingerCapsFan

Jul 5, 2013
So CMM and Protas can not play in the AHL next season (stupid rule), they have nothing to do in CHL and they probably will not make the NHL team next October. Why don't we loan them to a SHL/NLA/Liiga/KHL Euro team the next season? Is it good for them?

Can’t Protas play in the AHL? Wasn’t he an import?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
IIRC, that only applies to players who were drafted by their NHL team first and then reported to the CHL. If a player, like Protas, was playing in the CHL prior to the NHL draft then they still have to abide by the CHL-NHL transfer agreement.
Sandin & Zadina were both able to jump immediately to the AHL after being drafted as CHL imports. I believe the key point is they were loaned out by their prior clubs to the CHL whereas Protas didn't really have a prior organization per se since he was playing for a sort of national team. The KHL could be an option next season I suppose but I think there would still be some areas where he could improve in junior. I'm not sure being able to dominate a level offensively means there's nothing to learn. There are areas within a player's game that could still be better and more consistent, in his case physical play or just trying to play more of a power game overall. That would be a lot easier against junior players than men, though, so some sort of pro competition might be wise.

Early NHL.com mock drafts. Anyone from 19 down seems worth remembering. A couple others: WHLer Neighbours and perhaps CMM's teammate Stranges. The two German forwards after Stuetlze seem up their alley.

Last edited:

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Lot of Germans looking to go in the first round, interesting to see their youth development start to kick things up a notch

Jun 15, 2007
Sandin & Zadina were both able to jump immediately to the AHL after being drafted as CHL imports. I believe the key point is they were loaned out by their prior clubs to the CHL whereas Protas didn't really have a prior organization per se since he was playing for a sort of national team. The KHL could be an option next season I suppose but I think there would still be some areas where he could improve in junior. I'm not sure being able to dominate a level offensively means there's nothing to learn. There are areas within a player's game that could still be better and more consistent, in his case physical play or just trying to play more of a power game overall. That would be a lot easier against junior players than men, though, so some sort of pro competition might be wise.

Early NHL.com mock drafts. Anyone from 19 down seems worth remembering. A couple others: WHLer Neighbours and perhaps CMM's teammate Stranges. The two German forwards after Stuetlze seem up their alley.

Lots of London fans hate Stranges.

I've stopped paying attention to London since I moved away so I couldn't tell you why though.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Lots of London fans hate Stranges.
Erratic and suspect toolbox I guess, despite the skating and flashes of skill. Enough to keep him out of the first round at this rate I gather.

Peterka, Reichel, Ponomaryov, Bourque, Cuylle, Foudy and Jarvis would be the main forwards I'd earmark at this stage with Neighbours on the cusp as a WHLer. I'd again be looking to add more speed up front over a D barring some real standout traits.

Brock's OHL top 50 has some of the concerns on Stranges. Throw Foerster into that mix, too.

Last edited:

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Doesn't make much sense to me to do a new poll before the season is over.

We did these polls two times: first time in February-March and the last time in August. I feel like two polls per year is ok. One in July-August (then we have nothing else to do) and one six months later in January-February. It is interesting to see how our perception change with the time. For example, Protas, Pinho and Nardella can hit much higher rank than they did in August after the last season ends. We can do a shorter top-15 rank and not the top-20 like last time. Let's see if some more people here are interested.

I suppose Samsonov have graduated. O'Brien and Lewington are no longer prospects due to their age.

Here is my list:
  1. Martin Fehervary
  2. Connor McMichael
  3. Alex Alexeyev
  4. Aliaksei Protas
  5. Beck Malenstyn
  6. Axel Jonsson-Fjallby
  7. Bobby Nardella
  8. Brian Pinho
  9. Vitek Vanecek
  10. Garrett Pilon
  11. Brett Leason
  12. Kody Clark
  13. Martin Has
  14. Mitchell Gibson
  15. Damien Riat
  16. Joe Snively
  17. Riley Sutter
  18. Connor Hobbs
  19. Shane Gersich
  20. Tobias Geisser
  21. Alex Kannok-Leipert
  22. Sebastian Walfridsson
  23. Eric Florchuk
  24. Lucas Johansen

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
We did these polls two times: first time in February-March and the last time in August. I feel like two polls per year is ok. One in July-August (then we have nothing else to do) and one six months later in January-February. It is interesting to see how our perception change with the time. For example, Protas, Pinho and Nardella can hit much higher rank than they did in August after the last season ends. We can do a shorter top-15 rank and not the top-20 like last time. Let's see if some more people here are interested.

I suppose Samsonov have graduated. O'Brien and Lewington are no longer prospects due to their age.

Here is my list:
  1. Martin Fehervary
  2. Connor McMichael
  3. Alex Alexeyev
  4. Aliaksei Protas
  5. Beck Malenstyn
  6. Axel Jonsson-Fjallby
  7. Bobby Nardella
  8. Brian Pinho
  9. Vitek Vanecek
  10. Garrett Pilon
  11. Brett Leason
  12. Kody Clark
  13. Martin Has
  14. Mitchell Gibson
  15. Damien Riat
  16. Joe Snively
  17. Riley Sutter
  18. Connor Hobbs
  19. Shane Gersich
  20. Tobias Geisser
  21. Alex Kannok-Leipert
  22. Sebastian Walfridsson
  23. Eric Florchuk
  24. Lucas Johansen
I thought you hated VV, and I guess you don’t like Leason?

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
I thought you hated VV, and I guess you don’t like Leason?
I do not hate VV. I just do not see him as NHL back-up, for me he is an average AHL goaltender at best. That doesn't mean he cannot be #9 on my list. Same for Leason. I’m disappointed by his AHL season. Pilon, AJF, Pinho and Malenstyn are ahead of him. Isn't it right for you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Raikkonen

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I do not hate VV. I just do not see him as NHL back-up, for me he is an average AHL goaltender at best. That doesn.t mean he cannot be #9 on my list. Same for Leason. I’m disappointed by his AHL season. Pilon, AJF, Pinho and Malenstyn are ahead of his. Isn't it right for you?
I assume you’ve got the guys who you think will be impact players, followed by the guys you think probably won’t be impact players but probably will be on a roster, then the guys who may be on a roster, so if you think there’s a slim chance Has or Leason will be an impact player that’s better than VV if you think he’s not an impact AHLer. Like a backup goalie is the 18-20th guy on most rosters, so it would reflect that you think everybody below him you do not see as end of roster players. Which is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark