Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don’t understand why Phillips got called up. Is someone else hurt? If Milano is practicing and about to return, then do we really need him? Maybe they just want to have 23 max roster “just in case”. maybe it is because he has already been an emergency call-up so they have to go that direction. But i bet it does have something to do with NAK getting benched. Or maybe he was hurt and not just benched.

Sad to hear about Bear. But in no way does this indicate that there is a problem in Caps org. maybe for fans who don’t know what is going on in the room (which is all of us). But for players around the league, not a chance.

I am excited about Iorio getting a call-up. It also means that Alexyev is locked into 3LD spot. Of course if Iorio plays they may move TVR to left to do it. I really want to see Iorio emerge as a future RD for us. Has one more year of being waivers exempt.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
This team was never going to get a top 5 pick in this weak draft.

Watching this rag-tag team overachieve this season has been an unexpected pleasure. Especially after jettisoning two talented but no-effort anchors.

And a new coach that gets it.

For better or worse, Let's Go Caps!

Jeez I didn't think Edmundson was that bad

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Counter:

Ovechkin-Strome-Wilson, which we know works pretty reliably
Milano-Lapierre-Protas, the Jimi/Protas thing also seems to work on offense and defense
Pacioretty-McMichael-Oshie, CMM and Oshie have some time together and do okay
Malenstyn-Dowd-Miroshnichenko, if Wilson is really a boat anchor don't let him sink a good 4th line, Miro can throw the body and the line is still pretty skilled, he'll do fine there for now.

Ovechkin-Strome-Wilson has been outscored 10-18 this year despite very favorable usage. For people who insist that production is all that matters how can one of the worst 5v5 producers in the league in Wilson deserve a top line spot? Especially coming off yet another suspension that may once again make him play timidly?

Miroshnichenko on the 4th line makes little sense to me if they're going to continue deploying them in defensive matchup situations. Wilson, despite his anchor status offensively over the past year, has still been good enough defensively. I think he fits perfectly on that 4th line. And yeah play him more when they're protecting a lead.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayBeagleFanAccount

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Wilson is good on defense and the PK. Fourth liners are usually a team's principal PKers. I agree with the idea of playing him primarily on the 4th line with occasional mash-ups depending on the opposition and game situation. Especially now when he returns from suspension and when the rest of the guys are jelling. And generally scoring more than previously when Wilson was a top sixer.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Wilson is good on defense and the PK. Fourth liners are usually a team's principal PKers. I agree with the idea of playing him primarily on the 4th line with occasional mash-ups depending on the opposition and game situation. Especially now when he returns from suspension and when the rest of the guys are jelling. And generally scoring more than previously when Wilson was a top sixer.
How many guys with a C on their sweater are 4th line players?

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Wilson doesnt have a C on his sweater. Definetely shouldnt break up Ovi-McMichael-Oshie who just had a very good game. Could see Wilson coming in on the third line instead of Sgarbossa or put Miro on that line and Wilson with Strome and Pac. Milano will also be back before Wilson is back and should have a top 9 role with NAK and Sgarbossa out.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
How much kick back are you getting for pushing this? LOL I never knew it was an option has completely changed my experience on my mobile no longer deal with the adds that took up the majority of the page and now not having full screen adds pop up over the web browser as well.
Plus the sponsor tag clearly distinguishes you from the plebeians.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
I think the reference was to Mantha.

Was a joke.

I know he was talking about Mantha, but we got Contract Year Mantha this season.

Re: Wilson on 4th line, I like it. Dustin Brown wore a C and skated on the 4th line towards the end of his run in LA in different circumstances... Tom playing down there is less about Tom's ability and more about the need to spread around the offensive talent and line fits on the upper lines.

By the end of the Ovie Era, Tom will likely be a middle 6 winger which is not unreasonable. Remember, Dale Hunter was Captain centering Si (RIP) and Berube in the '98 finals.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Yeah Wilson is an inprovement on NAK on the 4th line and Caps 4th line with Dowd usually Get 3rd line minutes. So Wilson on the 4th makes it an Even better shutdown line than it is with Malenstyn-Dowd-NAK and adds a little more scoring power on it.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ovi inst on 4th line yet.

And he isnt retiring probably.

To become C Wilson needs to stay a Cap first, and this could take about 3 seasons perhaps. So no worries.

Malenstyn-Dowd-Wilson line won't be playing 4th line minutes though, it will be surely around middle-6 line minutes :P Maybe even 2nd most from time to time.

So make it Protas-Dowd-Wilson and match it up with whoever you need :P

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I mean, I think it’s a great place for Wilson, put him on the 4th, he plays PK and PP2, and you can give him occasional double shifts when you need the energy.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think the most likely scenario is Wilson goes top six, Miro is scratched, and Pro goes middle six.

Agree re: Protas — he’s been outstanding — but I don’t really think that’s a traditional 4th line in terms of TOI, plus Carberry is willing to shuffle lines and guys once the game gets going to make sure the right guys get the most playing time. I was also trying to blend strengths and weaknesses and veterans/kids.
Well, the 4RW is a spot that gets more ice time than some of the middle 6 players. So while it’s maybe “4th line” is offensive output, it’s certainly NOT the 4th line WRT time on ice.

So that said, I’d be fine w Wilson or Oshie as 4RW.

IF Leonard sign with the team post college season, he’s prob be a black ace. IF practicing well enough, I’d wager Pacioretty or Miro will sit.

Which would be a shame for Miro.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
This team was never going to get a top 5 pick in this weak draft.

Watching this rag-tag team overachieve this season has been an unexpected pleasure. Especially after jettisoning two talented but no-effort anchors.

And a new coach that gets it.

For better or worse, Let's Go Caps!
we are long from rag tag.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
You don’t get your line assignment based on your salary. And you don’t get a letter based on where you play. Captain is an emotional leader and someone everyone respects. Wilson is both of those things. So give him a C and play him where he impacts which just might be on the fourth line. Lines will always be in flux because that is hockey but for now/playoffs:

OV-McMicahel-Oshie (why on earth would you break this up right now)
Patches-Strome-Protas
Milano-Lappy-Miro
Malenstyn-Dowd-Wilson
Sgarbossa, NAK as extras, toothpick to Hershey

Maybe flip Milano and Protas.

Reactions: tycoonheart

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Well, the 4RW is a spot that gets more ice time than some of the middle 6 players. So while it’s maybe “4th line” is offensive output, it’s certainly NOT the 4th line WRT time on ice.

So that said, I’d be fine w Wilson or Oshie as 4RW.

IF Leonard sign with the team post college season, he’s prob be a black ace. IF practicing well enough, I’d wager Pacioretty or Miro will sit.

Which would be a shame for Miro.
Can Leonard even play this year since he wasn’t on the roster and signed by the freeze? I’m not sure of the rules here.

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
Counter:

Ovechkin-Strome-Wilson, which we know works pretty reliably
Milano-Lapierre-Protas, the Jimi/Protas thing also seems to work on offense and defense
Pacioretty-McMichael-Oshie, CMM and Oshie have some time together and do okay
Malenstyn-Dowd-Miroshnichenko, if Wilson is really a boat anchor don't let him sink a good 4th line, Miro can throw the body and the line is still pretty skilled, he'll do fine there for now.
wilson on line 1 and miro on line 4 is nonsense; they should be swapped

1711659197220.png

this guy should be on the ice as little as possible with his god awful contract

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Remember when this board was calling the team terrible, and that GMBM was a bum and wanted him to be fired? Classic meeting of the minds stuff.

To my eyes they had always played good hockey. Since the beginning of the year. They've only had a few games where you could genuinely say they played terribly. Otherwise some of the losses had been mostly because they weren't scoring goals or because Keumper was starting. Now that we are scoring and Charlie is in net, we are winning.

Reactions: Calicaps

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Ovechkin-Strome-Wilson has been outscored 10-18 this year despite very favorable usage. For people who insist that production is all that matters how can one of the worst 5v5 producers in the league in Wilson deserve a top line spot? Especially coming off yet another suspension that make once again may him play timidly?

Miroshnichenko on the 4th line makes little sense to me if they're going to continue deploying them in defensive matchup situations. Wilson, despite his anchor status offensively over the past year, has still been good enough defensively. I think he fits perfectly on that 4th line. And yeah play him more when they're protecting a lead.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like of all lines with more than 20 minutes together (and obviously not counting lines with players they no longer have), Ovechkin-Strome-Wilson is arguably if not easily the best option for Ovechkin's line.
1711661678873.png

If we run with the premise that Wilson is an anchor we should also accept that Ovechkin can't always do much 5v5 and quarantine them rather than spread them across the lineup. In that sense they still work well off each others' strengths and weaknesses

I'd be fine with just flipping the two but you and I both know Miro isn't just about to start getting 18 minutes a night even when he's written in on the first line (probably something like 12-16?) and it may as well be written this way on paper since Wilson's very likely to scoop up those remaining minutes.

I also just think this is the option that allows for a lot of other lines that have shown some chemistry. Lapierre and Protas seem like they work really well together to my eyes and McMichael and Oshie have a kind of similar feel. Milano can work well with either (I think I prefer him with Lapierre as their "skill" line)

he is a bum, dude just traded a first round pick for “rasmus sandin” and then gave him a trash extension
you're a complete goober.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad