Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
EDIT - This sounds great, but it's wrong wrong wrong. Random schmoe gets it right below.

So, according to Cap Friendly, buying out Kuemper this June would cost the Caps less than $1 million a year for the next 6 years, which seems pretty attractive if a trade partner can't be found - particularly since the salary cap is expected to float higher in the next couple of years.

He seems like a really good guy, and I hate to give up on him. But his performance as a goalie has been largely shaky - with the occasional solid game here and there. Like, you can't count him to save the ones he should save, which seems bad in a goalie.

Unless his game dramatically improves with 10 games left in the season in a circumstance where he's the backup (hard to imagine), the body of work says what we've seen for the last 2 seasons is likely what we'd see for the next 3 (or worse, since he'll be 37 by the end of the contract) - and that is pretty unattractive.

Last edited:

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
So, according to Cap Friendly, buying out Kuemper this June would cost the Caps less than $1 million a year for the next 6 years, which seems pretty attractive if a trade partner can't be found - particularly since the salary cap is expected to float higher in the next couple of years.

He seems like a really good guy, and I hate to give up on him. But his performance as a goalie has been largely shaky - with the occasional solid game here and there. Like, you can't count him to save the ones he should save, which seems bad in a goalie.

Unless his game dramatically improves with 10 games left in the season in a circumstance where he's the backup (hard to imagine), the body of work says what we've seen for the last 2 seasons is likely what we'd see for the next 3 (or worse, since he'll be 37 by the end of the contract) - and that is pretty unattractive.

With the guys in Hershey seemingly ready (or almost), a buyout may be the best course. First, let's see how he does if he gets a chance in the playoffs. I am not saying this regular season's Kuemper is anything like the RS Holtby in 2017-18, but remember how Grubby had taken over the starter's role back then but it was Holts who won 16 post-season games. I hope Chucky keeps his spot and I wouldn't have high expectations if Darcy gets inserted, but stranger things have happened!

Reactions: kicksavedave

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Or we hang on to Kuemper because the goaltending position in fickle and he's show the ability to be a suitable goalie in the past.
This year could just be a anomaly. I for one am not ready to roll into a season with Lindgren and one of the Hershey guys. Lindgren has never played a starters workload.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Not accurate, it doesn't take his signing bonus money into account. (May be terminology mixed up .. but this is the "real" cap hit for buying him out.)

1711992938186.png

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Not accurate, it doesn't take his signing bonus money into account. (May be terminology mixed up .. but this is the "real" cap hit for buying him out.)

View attachment 844450
Why does not it surprise me that it only takes a random schmoe to show me (and the world) just how wrong I can be. Thank you for stopping the spread of my disinformation.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
I'm actually more worried about the 'easier part' of the schedule upcoming than I was about the 'harder part.'
Happens like clockwork to just about every team down the stretch, very difficult to avoid...

Eliminated teams love to play spoiler and they have the freedom to play open and more creative and rookies/prospects get their chances

If we go anything above .500 the last 9gms we'll be in good shape and the pressure will be on PHI/DET

No idea if we win the easy ones or hard ones but hope we get at least 5 W's down the stretch

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Glad to see the Keumper buyout numbers get straight. I knew that couldn’t be right. Haha.

Or we hang on to Kuemper because the goaltending position in fickle and he's show the ability to be a suitable goalie in the past.
This year could just be a anomaly. I for one am not ready to roll into a season with Lindgren and one of the Hershey guys. Lindgren has never played a starters workload.
This is where i am at. Goaltending is fickle. He isn’t that bad. And $5M for a cup winning goaltender isn’t bad either. I’m giving him another year and shep will have to wait. I’d still be open to trading him in offseason if there is value to be had. But ZERO chance we should be retaining anything or paying to move him.

Reactions: Cappy76

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Glad to see the Keumper buyout numbers get straight. I knew that couldn’t be right. Haha.

This is where i am at. Goaltending is fickle. He isn’t that bad. And $5M for a cup winning goaltender isn’t bad either. I’m giving him another year and shep will have to wait. I’d still be open to trading him in offseason if there is value to be had. But ZERO chance we should be retaining anything or paying to move him.

imho, his eye injury is lingering, and he can't see shit. hence all the weak GA

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
imho, his eye injury is lingering, and he can't see shit. hence all the weak GA
That is certainly a plausible reason. Or it could be 10 other things that aren’t as visible to us.

without knowing what it is (or isn’t) I’d probably default to fickle goaltender and run another year. If we are to be a playoff team next year, I don’t Chuckie/Shepherd is a good enough tandem to compete. But having him as a “cheap” third is good depth.

The next offseason gets interesting because both Chuckie and Shepherd with be UFA’s. If Chuckie continues to progress (and that is a long way from now), then we’ll have some decisions to make on how much we want to pay for a goaltending tandem. If he is good enough at that point to command 2.5-4.0M then perhaps Keumper trade is necessary. And if Keumper has a better year, he will fetch good value. Or we tie up $9M in goaltenders.

Point is, wait another year before we just try to dump him which will cost. More upside in that approach.

Reactions: Serial_Derecho

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Kuemper is more than fine as a backup. Yes, $5.25 is not ideal for a backup but it more than balances out with Lindgren far outperforming his contract.

It could always be worse. And he could always rebound. I see no reason to move him. We aren’t hurting for cap space and our goalie situation is far from certain. Better to have too many goalies than too few.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Kuemper is more than fine as a backup. Yes, $5.25 is not ideal for a backup but it more than balances out with Lindgren far outperforming his contract.

It could always be worse. And he could always rebound. I see no reason to move him. We aren’t hurting for cap space and our goalie situation is far from certain. Better to have too many goalies than too few.
I tend to look at total goalie cap. For us that is $6.35M. Not bad and probably one of the lower ones in the league. After next season that may change when we need to resign Chuckie. For next season that cap hit is fine.

Also - why are we talking about Shep? He’s very clearly an AHLer to me. Perfectly fine guy but if Kuemper is being moved out, I’m not doing that for Shep, I’m doing it for Stevenson
That is why i said he is a good number 3. Stevenson needs to cook another season in AHL in my opinion, but sure he could be the first callup next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad