Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
With Dahlin and Power extending for long term deals in Buffalo in their early 20s I think the idea of signing Sandin to a long-term deal should be a very attractive option to Washington should he get off to a good start.

Buffalo has seemingly correctly realized that these guys are going to be their best two D now and for years to come despite not being established veterans in their late 20s/early 30s. With Power in particular their decision to forego any sort of bridge seems likely to save them millions in the long run.

Sandin is in a slightly different situation than Power since Toronto already bridged him once, but Washington could lock him up for a discount if they approach him early this season if he gets off to a good start. It'll be something I'm going to look out for.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
With Dahlin and Power extending for long term deals in Buffalo in their early 20s I think the idea of signing Sandin to a long-term deal should be a very attractive option to Washington should he get off to a good start.

Buffalo has seemingly correctly realized that these guys are going to be their best two D now and for years to come despite not being established veterans in their late 20s/early 30s. With Power in particular their decision to forego any sort of bridge seems likely to save them millions in the long run.

Sandin is in a slightly different situation than Power since Toronto already bridged him once, but Washington could lock him up for a discount if they approach him early this season if he gets off to a good start. It'll be something I'm going to look out for.

The Caps did just that with Ovi and Backie, they got them locked up at a discount early. Not sure Sandin is in that category but yeah, locking up young players long term, while risky, allows you to build a good roster overall.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The Caps did just that with Ovi and Backie, they got them locked up at a discount early. Not sure Sandin is in that category but yeah, locking up young players long term, while risky, allows you to build a good roster overall.

I think Sandin is an attractive option to go long on because the underlyings have always been there, just not the opportunity until now. If they can get him locked up long-term before he really gets established around the league then the cap hit should stay relatively low.

They don't have any other big contracts to worry about soon which is another reason a long-term deal becomes an another attractive option. Mantha's gone soon. Backstrom and Kuznetsov will certainly come in cheaper on their next deals if they stay around at all. They could really position themselves nicely in a few years with a clean cap sheet in a few years, which would let them also go long on other players like Leonard, Miro, Cristall, etc. if they show promise and also be able to go after good free agents.

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Rewarding Lujo with maybe top 4 minutes is wild too me.

I'm sure these lines will change a bit game to game and especially in the first 10 games of the season. Backstrom will not be able to handle 1C and Oshie has never been effective as 1RW. I see Strome taking Backstrom's spot. Fever on the 3rd pairing? LuJo will not last as a 2nd pairing D.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think Sandin is an attractive option to go long on because the underlyings have always been there, just not the opportunity until now. If they can get him locked up long-term before he really gets established around the league then the cap hit should stay relatively low.

They don't have any other big contracts to worry about soon which is another reason a long-term deal becomes an another attractive option. Mantha's gone soon. Backstrom and Kuznetsov will certainly come in cheaper on their next deals if they stay around at all. They could really position themselves nicely in a few years with a clean cap sheet in a few years, which would let them also go long on other players like Leonard, Miro, Cristall, etc. if they show promise and also be able to go after good free agents.
That doesn't really sound like a great idea at all to me right now...

If Sandin is good and actually good he's probably going to want to bet on himself a little more before he locks down a huge deal, or it means the Caps are floating something so tempting he doesn't think he can get it when the cap increases.

If that's true and he takes the deal, now he 100% needs to be as good as you think he can be otherwise he's an anchor contract and preventing them from having that clean sheet.

Seems better to slow roll that and just funnel whatever additional cap he merits to pay him what he's worth when it's time and take advantage of the expiring contracts that way. Less risk of ending up on the wrong side of a bad deal and a lot more tape on what he can and can't do.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Carbery may be letting the vets pick their own lines to start. They'll sink or swim before he has to step in and mix them up. If it fails no one can say they didn't try.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I use IP.TV and never looked back. Its a streaming service and you need a VPS but I miss nothing at all. Anything you can watch with a service I can stream. And its the cheapest service I pay for.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I use IP.TV and never looked back. Its a streaming service and you need a VPS but I miss nothing at all. Anything you can watch with a service I can stream. And its the cheapest service I pay for.
Sounds legit!

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
That doesn't really sound like a great idea at all to me right now...

If Sandin is good and actually good he's probably going to want to bet on himself a little more before he locks down a huge deal, or it means the Caps are floating something so tempting he doesn't think he can get it when the cap increases.

If that's true and he takes the deal, now he 100% needs to be as good as you think he can be otherwise he's an anchor contract and preventing them from having that clean sheet.

Seems better to slow roll that and just funnel whatever additional cap he merits to pay him what he's worth when it's time and take advantage of the expiring contracts that way. Less risk of ending up on the wrong side of a bad deal and a lot more tape on what he can and can't do.

He might want to bet on himself, but is a guy with less than $5 million in total earnings really going to say no to e.g. a $40-50 million contract offer and getting to UFA at age 31-32 in the hopes of maybe getting $60 or $70 million in a few years but then reaching UFA at 33-34?

There's risk involved in betting on him but there's also risk involved in letting him realize his full earning power by bridging him. I'm of course much higher on Sandin than most but I think there is a very high probability he'd both accept and more than live up to a 7 or 8 year deal if he starts out well this year.

Besides Washington is going to need to save all the cap they can when they trade for and sign Elias Pettersson!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Let’s give it at least 20 games on the top pair getting 25 mins a night with 74….lol…

and Kuzy is f’ing gone…..

Reactions: Calicaps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Let’s give it at least 20 games on the top pair getting 25 mins a night with 74….lol…

and Kuzy is f’ing gone…..
WEll hopefully that changes too and we have Fever with JC74 and Sandin with Jensen. 2LD for 8 years at 4.5M is good value. If he wants to bet on himself he can go shorter but i don’t think he gets much more per year. Skill level today is probably 4Mx3 setting up for big 8 year deal after.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Sounds legit!

I wonder if it the same one. A buddy from up in Canada set me up. I only use it during hockey season and its like $12us a month. And never had a problem with it.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie
McMichael-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Milano-Strome-Protas
Malenstyn-Dowd-Mantha

Well... Sink or swim for Backstrom line.

What I think is lines #2, #3 and #4 SHOULD do damage. If they can't while playing against lesser lines - Caps are done for the season.

Take line #4. These guys can score, they are physical (if Mantha's not missing his head at any given night), fast and skilled enough. Should be an easy plus over opponents.

Milano-Strome-Protas - that should be the most effective line if they are matched against 3rd lines of opponents. Lots of goals to score!

Why not win games via 3rd and 4th lines scoring?

OK, next, Kuzy line. Surely if Kuzy is engaged they can score too. But I wouldnt bet they can outscore Strome's line. I'd suggest changing Protas and Wilson if Kuzy fails.

Milano-Strome-Wilson is surely a good line for a middle-6 one.

What's left? Backstrom's ability to prevent own zone hemming for Ovi's line. He could get injured and retire (not the worst outcome for the club, honestly, but isn't looking like this atm), he could get good, but if he can't hold his own... that's there trouble will came from. But its obvious anyway, you already know it.

Maybe Carbs thinks they can score some goals to outweight their defensive abilities and all other lines won't have at least one old slow guy. Maybe that's the trick actually.

Lets see if they can hold these lines for a week at least.

PS: LuJo before HHA looks strange. #7 for AA looks ok, let him practice if he isnt ready somehow. AA has good package, is likeable guy but its not enough to be good guy obviously. So be it.

PPS: How will 8-19-77 line enter the zone in ES though? Puzzling

Reactions: RandyHolt

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie
Milano-Strome-Protas
Malenstyn-Dowd-Mantha

What I think is lines #2, #3 and #4 SHOULD do damage. If they can't while playing against lesser lines - Caps are done for the season.

Take line #4. These guys can score, they are physical (if Mantha's not missing his head at any given night), fast and skilled enough. Should be an easy plus over opponents.

Milano-Strome-Protas - that should be the most effective line if they are matched against 3rd lines of opponents. Lots of goals to score!

OK, next, Kuzy line. Surely if Kuzy is engaged they can score too. But I wouldnt bet they can outscore Strome's line. I'd suggest changing Protas and Wilson if Kuzy fails.

What's left? Backstrom's ability to prevent own zone hemming for Ovi's line. He could get injured and retire (not the worst outcome for the club, honestly, but isn't looking like this atm), he could get good, but if he can't hold his own... that's there trouble will came from. But its obvious anyway, you already know it.

Maybe Carbs thinks they can score some goals to outweight their defensive abilities and all other lines won't have at least one old slow guy. Maybe that's the trick actually.

PS: LuJo before HHA looks strange. #7 for AA looks ok, let him practice if he isnt ready somehow. AA has good package, is likeable guy but its not enough to be good guy obviously. So be it.

I won't call my shot but I wouldn't be surprised if the Ovechkin line comes in more like 2nd in ES time, maybe 3rd some nights if the other two lines are really flying.

Also wouldn't be fully surprised if they want to really pull the cart themselves, like proud and stubborn donkeys, but I think that's obviously unsustainable.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie
Milano-Strome-Protas
Malenstyn-Dowd-Mantha

"Backstrom's ability to prevent own zone hemming for Ovi's line"

Just because Ovie is Ovie does not mean he gets a pass in the D zone, nor does he get a pass because he is a winger and old. Last season when Ovie's line got hemmed in, many times he was not moving at all while his mates were skating around like chickens with their heads cut off. It was literally 5 on 4 hockey. He actually has to make an attempt to play defense. Last season he reverted to Adam Oates mode.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Its very likely illegal lol.
It's not just frowned upon?
1697204568033.gif

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He might want to bet on himself, but is a guy with less than $5 million in total earnings really going to say no to e.g. a $40-50 million contract offer and getting to UFA at age 31-32 in the hopes of maybe getting $60 or $70 million in a few years but then reaching UFA at 33-34?
Being smallish and not an amazing skater I'd prefer paying Girard rate ($5M) than Krug rate ($6.5M). Krug was UFA while Girard RFA and both were inked a while back. But I don't see a big rush. He won't be on PP1 and it's where he did the bulk of his boxcar damage last season with the Caps. I'm not sure I expect him playing with Carlson to benefit his boxcars. Arguably he'd do more damage playing with Jensen in a more unfettered attacking role. His TOI should be boosted playing with Carlson but as a fit and future playoff top 4 D I'm not yet completely sold. Mostly because these days bluelines with playoff success tend to be taller and it's not like he makes up for it with explosiveness.

If they can get him at a reasonable rate maybe it's a movable contract if it isn't quite the fit they want down the line. But I'm not sure there's a ton of risk in waiting. I'd be shocked if he were to quickly emerge as a ~$7M guy.
The days of the top line insulating other lines are probably over. Most will just go at them. Go at this top line, go at this top D pair. Why not?

Milano & McMichael strike me as a very important pieces for them to have enough finishers. Kuznetsov is another key of course but it's hard to guess where the goals will come from among the middle six. Those two are as good a guess as any I guess...but they're no locks. There's still a pretty clear lack of natural finishers while Pacioretty is out and they're apparently too cautious to play Phillips. They can system along and maybe get D contributions but the mix still seems pretty thin.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Being smallish and not an amazing skater I'd prefer paying Girard rate ($5M) than Krug rate ($6.5M). Krug was UFA while Girard RFA and both were inked a while back. But I don't see a big rush. He won't be on PP1 and it's where he did the bulk of his boxcar damage last season with the Caps. I'm not sure I expect him playing with Carlson to benefit his boxcars. Arguably he'd do more damage playing with Jensen in a more unfettered attacking role. His TOI should be boosted playing with Carlson but as a fit and future playoff top 4 D I'm not yet completely sold. Mostly because these days bluelines with playoff success tend to be taller and it's not like he makes up for it with explosiveness.

If they can get him at a reasonable rate maybe it's a movable contract if it isn't quite the fit they want down the line. But I'm not sure there's a ton of risk in waiting. I'd be shocked if he were to quickly emerge as a ~$7M guy.

The fact that his boxcars aren't likely to pop off the page is a reason to lock him up now if the impacts are there before the boxcars do arrive. Because on a rate basis he's 32 of 248 in points per 60 at 5v5 among qualified D. Eventually Carlson will be gone. Kind of similar to how they locked up Carlson at a sweetheart deal while Green was running PP1.

Of course my being much higher on Sandin than most influences this conversation. I'd be fine with them offering him 8 x $6 million if he gets off to a nice start. He and Carlson showed nice chemistry this preseason so I'm not doubting they continue to play well into the season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The fact that his boxcars aren't likely to pop off the page is a reason to lock him up now if the impacts are there before the boxcars do arrive. Because on a rate basis he's 32 of 248 in points per 60 at 5v5 among qualified D. Eventually Carlson will be gone. Kind of similar to how they locked up Carlson at a sweetheart deal while Green was running PP1.

Of course my being much higher on Sandin than most influences this conversation. I'd be fine with them offering him 8 x $6 million if he gets off to a nice start. He and Carlson showed nice chemistry this preseason so I'm not doubting they continue to play well into the season.
Jesus when you get behind something….you go all in…..he better be putting up 55pts and playing great D.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Jesus when you get behind something….you go all in…..he better be putting up 55pts and playing great D.

I mean it wouldn't be my first offer. I'd try to get him cheaper. But if Sandin said $6 million is his number otherwise he bridges, then I'd happily sign him to $6 million provided he has a good start this season.

Devon Toews is another example of a guy who put up good impacts in a sheltered role and then was traded. Shockingly, his impact also translated to an increased role in Colorado and now he's considered one of the best in the league. There's no reason for me to believe Sandin's impacts won't also translate in an increased role and I think Washington would be wise to lock him up long-term if he shows well to begin this season. He's young enough where he can contribute to the end of the Ovechkin era but also be a mainstay for the Andrew Cristall era.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Feels like for every Devon Toews who did well outside a sheltered role, there are 5 who didn’t, but we can only hope. I will stay optimistic.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Feels like for every Devon Toews who did well outside a sheltered role, there are 5 who didn’t, but we can only hope.

I can certainly try to run the numbers on that. Maybe my next analytics thread project will be to see how high performing sheltered D do in subsequent years when their roles are increased.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad