Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Subscribing to ESPN+ gets you all out-of-market and non-nationally televised games. All in-market and nationally televised games will be blacked out. So you'd also have to get a cable/streaming package that includes the regional sports networks AND the national channels (ABC, ESPN, TNT, and the dreaded NHL Network) to watch everything.

So, for example: I'm a Caps fan who moved to Philly years ago. I use ESPN+ bundled with Hulu Live (which includes ABC, ESPN, TNT, and the regional sports networks), so that I can watch the regular Caps games on ESPN+, the Caps/Flyers games on the RSN, and most of the nationally broadcast Caps games (which will, hopefully, include the playoffs). The only exception is the national games on NHL Network, because they're the worst and not available on Hulu Live or YouTube.TV. You have to either have cable, Direct TV, or Fubo, and I'm pretty sure you have to pay extra for the extended sports tiers of those services just to get NHLN.

I used to use NHL.TV, and it was so, soooo much better than ESPN+. It also included NHL Network games. But it's gone in the US now. At least ESPN+ is relatively cheap. (And, as mentioned, if you're a cord-cutter but want streaming cable, the Hulu Live and Disney and ESPN+ is a decent value.)

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Subscribing to ESPN+ gets you all out-of-market and non-nationally televised games. All in-market and nationally televised games will be blacked out. So you'd also have to get a cable/streaming package that includes the regional sports networks AND the national channels (ABC, ESPN, TNT, and the dreaded NHL Network) to watch everything.

So, for example: I'm a Caps fan who moved to Philly years ago. I use ESPN+ bundled with Hulu Live (which includes ABC, ESPN, TNT, and the regional sports networks), so that I can watch the regular Caps games on ESPN+, the Caps/Flyers games on the RSN, and most of the nationally broadcast Caps games (which will, hopefully, include the playoffs). The only exception is the national games on NHL Network, because they're the worst and not available on Hulu Live or YouTube.TV. You have to either have cable, Direct TV, or Fubo, and I'm pretty sure you have to pay extra for the extended sports tiers of those services just to get NHLN.

I used to use NHL.TV, and it was so, soooo much better than ESPN+. It also included NHL Network games. But it's gone in the US now. At least ESPN+ is relatively cheap. (And, as mentioned, if you're a cord-cutter but want streaming cable, the Hulu Live and Disney and ESPN+ is a decent value.)
TNT games now are also available if you subscribe to Max (HBO's latest version of its streaming service).

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Aktell being able to be sent down to Hershey this makes sense get a bit more seasoning NA seasoning.

According to the Post, it may be more for cap and waiver reasons than anything else.

Haman Aktell also didn’t have to clear waivers to be assigned to Hershey, which meant the team didn’t run any risk of losing him in the process of assigning him to the AHL — unlike Lucas Johansen, who would have to be put on waivers and makes $107,500 less than Haman Aktell, allowing his salary to fit under the cap when Haman Aktell’s wouldn’t.

Reactions: um

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Rewarding Lujo with maybe top 4 minutes is wild too me.

Carbery was really careful in one of recent press conferences about the AO/Backstrom/Oshie line. Basically the nuance was like against some teams it makes sense was the feel I got.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Are we not looking at the Johansen thing as a coach who knows him giving him some opportunity to show some recent tape for his inevitable waiver claim?

If he doesn't make it this year you can pretty much put a fork in his NHL hopes, they're just giving him a real kick at the can far as I can tell. As soon as the finances work themselves out you know he's going to eventually be the odd man out, he didn't perform anywhere near HHA or even Alexeyev in preseason.

This really just seems to me like a guy being given a chance to prove himself before the salary resolves itself. I think if we can see HHA with the upper edge, Carbery can too. This is about doing right by a guy he's known for a while, he'll get a change, if he's drowning (or when the salary works out) he'll probably be replaced and make his waiver push for another NHL shot.

Mantha over Phillips is kind of the same thing too but with trade value attached. This isn't a big deal for game 1.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
but if we're going that route HHA beat them both, so it's not just merit.

I was speaking to guys who made the team, but there is clearly some cap strategy in play….similar to Alzner years ago…but AA could have been given that starter role.

Last edited:

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
OV - Backi - Oshbabe just might be a powerhouse, we shall see

With 19+77 healthier than they've been in a while, speed may not be much of an issue
You know with O+O there will be HEAVY hits, and 19 n 77 will be good in the corners
plus all 3 can snipe
maybe they will be possession monsters and not need the support of a speedy youngster

Can't wait to have to depend on an illegal stream to find the Season Opener to find out :monkey::baghead::nono:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

With 19+77 healthier than they've been in a while, speed may not be much of an issue
You know with O+O there will be HEAVY hits, and 19 n 77 will be good in the corners
plus all 3 can snipe
maybe they will be possession monsters and not need the support of a speedy youngster

Can't wait to have to depend on an illegal stream to find the Season Opener to find out :monkey::baghead::nono:
Oshie just looked especially slow. Slower than Backis. Easy to slide up Wilson if necessary lets see ho things play out.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021

plus all 3 can snipe

Good luck with the illegal streams.
1697137515660.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: zappa4ever

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Good luck with the illegal streams.
View attachment 751883
I uh....I don't know how to say this, but that'd be a skill issue if that's ever happened to anyone. I have sailed the high seas for going on 20 years at this point and it is very easy to avoid STD's of the web.

Also, once again, will bang the drum on how stupid the NHL is for putting their product behind a walled garden. 10/10 decision to make the 3rd or 4th most popular sport, one that's become increasingly hard to get into at any level, and make that even more difficult and annoying. All the while still only broadcasting in 720p. Truly impeccable leadership and decision making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad