Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Kind of odd. Hard to ask more out of HHA this preseason and Johansen struggled for most of the preseason.

Reactions: barriers

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The question is what will we have to pay to move him. I don’t have appetite for that. But I would retain 50%. Wonder if a team would do a conditional pick. 6th round if he scores less that 20. More than 20 or he resigns then a third. Caps retain 50%.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Dude has been awful. I don’t see him scoring 10 goals, let alone being in the line-up.
He hasn't been awful. He had 2 breakaways in 1 period if I remember. Yeah he didn't score. But he hasn't been awful. He has had his moments. Hasnt been great but not awful. I'm ok with him in the starting lineup and evaluate after 1st 10 games. Maybe he scores a couple of goals early and gains confidence. Where are the goals coming from on this team? We all know he has the talent.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
He hasn't been awful. He had 2 breakaways in 1 period if I remember. Yeah he didn't score. But he hasn't been awful. He has had his moments. Hasnt been great but not awful. I'm ok with him in the starting lineup and evaluate after 1st 10 games. Maybe he scores a couple of goals early and gains confidence. Where are the goals coming from on this team? We all know he has the talent.
Dude has mental issues and I'm not saying he's Pejorative Slured. His hockey IQ seems to be very poor for such a talented player. If he doesn't put up points in the first 10 games of the season, then he should be scratched or maybe even sooner. Injuries do happen to teams, so maybe we can trade him to a bottom 10 team and just get a low draft pick for him. BMac should not be trying to get rid of Mantha and it costing a high pick/prospect to do so.

Reactions: Capitals40

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Over the tenure of his time with the Caps? He absolutely has been given his AAV.

Reactions: PlushMinus

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Kind of odd. Hard to ask more out of HHA this preseason and Johansen struggled for most of the preseason.

Is it odd though?

Johansen seems to be getting rewarded for his performances in the AHL Playoffs last season. I don't think he actually won a long-term spot or anything here. It's just giving him a shot first because with him needing to clear the waivers it might have not worked the other way around. I think it's only a matter of time before HHA is back with the big club and before that there's just the decision to make that which one are you going to waive (or trade if it's AA).

I don't think they are blind for talent. This seems like an extended opportunity for Johansen since HHA didn't have to clear waivers to be sent down.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Is it odd though?

Johansen seems to be getting rewarded for his performances in the AHL Playoffs last season. I don't think he actually won a long-term spot or anything here. It's just giving him a shot first because with him needing to clear the waivers it might have not worked the other way around. I think it's only a matter of time before HHA is back with the big club and before that there's just the decision to make that which one are you going to waive (or trade if it's AA).

I don't think they are blind for talent. This seems like an extended opportunity for Johansen since HHA didn't have to clear waivers to be sent down.

Its bit of a "last look" process maybe as I see it? He is 26 and about to go once again through waivers, after a pretty good AHL run last year. They have plenty of time to play HHA and AA, its a long season, but with other guys on the mix aswell (Iorio mainly) this is probably LuJo's last chance to show he belongs to NHL and org felt they wanted to give him a window.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad