Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I just had to start it and say it. Bedard already beat Crosby in their first ever head2head matchup! Hawks beat the Pens 4-2 in Shatsburgh!

Loved watching the Pens lose but that game had very little to do with Bedard. He looked slow and physically overmatched. Surprisingly, some of his shots looked weak too (but others were explosive). He had a one-timer from the Ovie spot was soft and easily turned away despite it being wide to begin with. His dekes also weren't fooling anyone.

You expect a young player to build muscle mass over time, but I didn't expect Bedard to be flat out slow.

I do like what Chicago is doing with him - surrounding him with some very experienced players.

As for the Pens, they looked like ass. Surrendered 4 goals straight to a crappy team - two of which were facials on Sidney Crosby. I hope that team has bought into the myth of him being good at defense - because he isn't. Karlsson made one nice deke but was otherwise timid and useless in his own end aside from outlet passes. Malkin looked like he's lost a step although his hands are still amazing and he makes up for the loss of speed with a huge reach.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This team going to be f*cking suck.
1697037228496.gif

My opinion….if they stay healthy for the most part, they will qualify for the playoffs…..I have zero sense of dread heading into this season.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
f*** off, Mantha!

I don't think I've seen a single national writer pick the Caps to make the playoffs. Most have had PIT back in and NYI out. I think it may come down to which of PIT/NYI/BUF/OTT/DET/WSH can defend (and, of course, stay healthy). NYI on paper between Sorokin, their D and checking game seems like the most sound pick defensively. Whether they can score enough still seems like the question. BUF/PIT will score for sure but neither seems too interested or capable of tightening up. Maybe WSH can...but between Kuznetsov and Carlson I have my doubts whether those are two players they can still win with. Carlson dominated the pre-season but will they manage his minutes so he doesn't get ragged? And no one, even Kuznetsov, has any idea what to expect from him.

I look forward to how Carbery manages to piece it together and keep them together but their athletic/IQ limitations are a big challenge. Most every team they'll face will have an athleticism advantage. Structure and support can neutralize it to a certain extent but it's increasingly difficult to expect them to effectively spread teams out. Maybe they can out-score it but their main addition in that regard is sidelined for at least a couple months. Shrug.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
Good luck to the caps for the season, particularly Ovechkin. I expect them to be comfortably out of playoffs this season, unless Kuznetsov somehow becomes his old self and challenges Mcdavid for the art ross, but you know I wouldn't hold my breath. Unfortunately I wont be able to watch almost any games, maybe few early starts that they have, so I'll be just lurking around here and reading the comments about the squad after the games.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
They have to feed Mantha ice time and hope for the best. He has the talent.

Its not like that will be the thing that holds the team back from a cup run.

Maybe he gets it going and we can get a mid round pick later.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I see Johansen-Jensen as the third pair but I guess we'll see on Friday how the minutes are doled out. Jensen had a tough preseason and missed some time with personal matters so I wouldn't be shocked if they ease him back in.

I don't mind Mantha on the 4th line if you ignore his cap hit and potential other issues his presence brings. He's still solid defensively, doesn't take penalties, and his scoring ability is more than adequate in a bottom 6 role. I don't think it's tenable long term but for now it's fine.

I do wish Phillips got a spot in the starting lineup but I'm not too upset over it. He'll get his shot.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'm not tripping over lineups just yet. Preseason games don't mean that much in the long run.

Its nice to see young guys get spots in meaningful roles. Lot's of pressure on LuJo fo sho.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Mantha is still one of their better forwards defensively even if he has forgotten how to play with the puck. I’d like to see a 4th line Protas-Dowd-Mantha. Malenstyn would sit for me first.

Ovi-Backstrom-Oshie
McMichael-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Milano-Strome-Phillips
Protas-Dowd-Mantha

Mantha is essentially Panik 2.0. Big, hulking winger that doesn’t use their size well but plays very good defense and has seemingly lost their scoring touch. Panik did well as an overpaid 4th liner and instead of trying to make Mantha into something he’s not, I’d prefer they just accept his strengths and weaknesses as they are and let him eat on the 4th line. Mantha-Dowd-Protas is one of the best 4th lines in the league for me.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
From the fine print on the Monumental Sports streaming offering….

”Broadcast restrictions limit us to a 150-mile radius from Washington, D.C.”

So it’s basically an in-region offering only….

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
This is surely Johansen’s last shot with the caps organisation - if he ends up back in the AHL, won’t he get vet status next year and therefore be less likely to return (like Pilon)? As a former first round pick, maybe it makes sense to give it one last shot to see if he can make it.

Although considering Alexeyev has struggled to solidify himself as an NHLer (aside from sticking with the team because of waivers), I find it hard to believe both will be on the roster by the end of the year.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
From the fine print on the Monumental Sports streaming offering….

”Broadcast restrictions limit us to a 150-mile radius from Washington, D.C.”

So it’s basically an in-region offering only….
Outside of 150 miles, just subscribe to ESPN+ to get the same broadcasts for less money. Of course there are some local blackout restrictions (e.g., Pittsburgh and Columbus games are blacked out for me).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad