Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2022-23 Season Part 3: Drop the puck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Most players who had his surgery didn’t play more than 35 more career games so I guess I am not as optimistic but only time will tell.
Well he's past that number already. And although he's been overall pretty terrible, he still managed to be better than .5PT/G while less than a year post-surgery. Which is why I said I have no idea what quality of player he could be.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
What's our best case scenario for Backstrom next year, production wise? Are we hoping for 10 goals and 40 assists?

Or am I being too optimistic for a best-case?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Backstrom apparently declined to join the Team Sweden for World Championship.

Reasoning being that he needs to strengthen his hip more.

For anyone thinking he might retire, forget it. You can pencil him into our 3rd or 4th line for next season.
Glad he is not going. Give him a full playoff-less off season to really train up. And lets see where he is at in TC.

I could kinda see Kuzy getting traded in a hockey trade but would suspect probably getting someone starting to underachieve back as just a locker room culture change if that really is a thing these days. Tbh honest the whole year his hockey intincts just seemed not as fast...making some dumb horizontal passes that players just in the league for a couple of years make.

Reactions: Calicaps

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
But this year they are 21st out of 32 teams in GF/60 at 5v4, and 22nd in goal differential per 60 at 5v4. It's on the bad end of the middle of the pack, and for a team with Ovechkin on it that's not good enough.

For a team that can't really dominate at even strength any more I think they really need to look at optimizing the power play to the extent possible in order to remain competitive next year. The current approach isn't really working. They need to steal more elements from teams like the Oilers and Lightning even if they can't reproduce the exact level of success.

I think if Oshie had been healthy all year the PP would be significantly higher. But, since he wasn't and wont be next year either the team would do well in getting a good bumper guy type of player (or play Wilson there). That and Bäckström being back solves a lot for the PP.

Reactions: Calicaps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Because he's beloved by the organization and Ovi and him are considered the cornerstones and leader #1 and leader #2 on this team. Any coach coming in ain't making waves by dropping him to the 3rd line because he's slow. He's always been slow. They'll do the whole "best I've felt in 5 years coming out of camp" thing and he'll drop right into 1C to start the year. I wouldn't look at his ice time coming back early off a major career threatening hip surgery as any indication of where he's slotting with a full off-season of continued rehab. Were stuck with Nick I the top 6 until he's ready to retire, like it or not.
So first it is Lavi hates kids and plays the vets at all costs. But really, he has mostly deployed Backstrom as a 3C until Kuzy found the doghouse. And now you are saying that any coach that comes in will play Backstrom as 1C or 2C? Strange.

Reactions: um

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
If Backstrom can play the “Eller Role” as solid 3C who can play up if injuries for two years, I’ll take it. Still not good value for 9.2M but he isn’t going anywhere unless he wants to. So may be best we can hope for.

I hope we can trade Kuzy because we just NEED to refresh the top 6 and that may be best path. I think we can get more for Mantha than most people, but he could be good value at 5.7M with new coach and a 1 or 2 RW with PP time Type role.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Teams often try to jump start their rebuilds with trades for guys past their primes.

I’d say there’s an outside chance.
Fingers crossed! I could definitely see one of those teams taking Kuzy as a "cup winning vet" figure for their young guys, but for a top 4 pick? Who knows? Make it happen, Mac!

Reactions: um

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Might be one of the more interesting offseasons in a while this summer. The roster has basically been the same since 2018 in terms of impact pieces. Mantha was the last 'big' trade and not very impactful.

Imagine if we trade Kuzy + Mantha + a draft pick for like Petterson and a solid stay at home D.

Ovi-Petey-Wilson
Oshie-CMM-Brown
Protas-Bäckström-Smith
NAK-Dowd-Malenstyn

Lapierre

Fever-Carlson
Sandin-Jensen
TvR-Stay at home guy

Kuemper
Lindgren

This is a team that with one more scoring winger and perhaps some speed in the lineup could very well make the playoffs.

Reactions: hhlg

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Might be one of the more interesting offseasons in a while this summer. The roster has basically been the same since 2018 in terms of impact pieces. Mantha was the last 'big' trade and not very impactful.

Imagine if we trade Kuzy + Mantha + a draft pick for like Petterson and a solid stay at home D.

Ovi-Petey-Wilson
Oshie-CMM-Brown
Protas-Bäckström-Smith
NAK-Dowd-Malenstyn

Lapierre

Fever-Carlson
Sandin-Jensen
TvR-Stay at home guy

Kuemper
Lindgren

This is a team that with one more scoring winger and perhaps some speed in the lineup could very well make the playoffs.
That would be great if that happened.

I just doubt Canucks would take 2 anchors and a draft pick for their 24-year old 100-point 1C, but maybe that's just me.

If we are moving anchors, can we also move Carlson and Backstrom for Quinn Hughes too? Perhaps even for a package of Jack and Luke Hughes?

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
That would be great if that happened.

I just doubt Canucks would take 2 anchors and a draft pick for their 24-year old 100-point 1C, but maybe that's just me.

If we are moving anchors, can we also move Carlson and Backstrom for Quinn Hughes too? Perhaps even for a package of Jack and Luke Hughes?

If that draft pick is #8 overall, and if the Canucks feel like Kuzy can go back to .ppg form and see what we saw in Mantha(strong two way player) and Petterson has requested a trade they just might. Look what Eichel went for. Not that much better.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Ovi-Petey-Wilson
Oshie-CMM-Brown
Protas-Bäckström-Smith
NAK-Dowd-Malenstyn

Lapierre

Fever-Carlson
Sandin-Jensen
TvR-Stay at home guy

Kuemper
Lindgren

You forgot Strome and Milano. And they're not keeping Smith.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
If that draft pick is #8 overall, and if the Canucks feel like Kuzy can go back to .ppg form and see what we saw in Mantha(strong two way player) and Petterson has requested a trade they just might. Look what Eichel went for. Not that much better.
Why would they buy high on two anchors?

They could just flip Pettersson elsewhere and then buy low on our anchors. What do you anticipate Mantha for example, returning? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if there was a team offering, a 5th round pick for example for him in June without us having to take any salary back, we would take that and run.

How do you value Kuznetsov? Do you think he is worth a 1st rounder? I don't. I think we could maybe add a 2nd rounder, maybe even a low-end prospect for him if we took back another (slightly cheaper) bad contract.

This to me seems like a pipe dream. I wish our anchors were valued that highly around the league though. I don't think GMBM values either anywhere that highly so that should mean they are easy to trade. I just don't think guys on huge salaries that we healthy scratched this season are very hot commodity.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
EP is a pipe dream. It’s more likely we trade for Miller if Vancouver is tired of his shit and has buyer’s remorse on his long term deal. Maybe a Kuznetsov + McMichael/Lapierre + draft picks for Miller type deal.

I’d easily trade 8OA + Lapierre/McMichael + Iorio/Chesley + Kuznetsov for EP. EP and Strome are a 1/2C combo to build around.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I would look to target some players off the Winnipeg roster, seems like Mark Scheifele and Nikolaj Ehlers are on the outs there. Both of those somehow would be a dream come true, one would be good. Doesn't seem likely though because there is no chance Kuzy waives to go there in return

Ovechkin-Strome-Ehlers
Milano-Scheifele-Wilson
McMichael-Backstrom-Oshie
Sinvely-Dowd-Protas

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The Canucks seem a little lost in the woods. Should be an interesting summer.

Team I’m watching is Nashville— what’s Trotz gonna do? He’s gonna want to make an imprint, and they’ve got 2 quasi top C’s that make the same as Kuznetsov (Johansen and Duchesne) and a lot of youth.

Reactions: Marshall
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad