Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2022-23 Season Part 3: Drop the puck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Ovechkin will get his record, and his money. He didn’t want Orlov traded, but he was.

Wilson is a great trade asset at next years deadline.

I just don’t see any trade that will undo paying $9m to Backstrom for 2 more years.

Management also assured him that trading Orlov and the others wasn't the beginning of a rebuild but rather a short-term retool. I suspect that if he was told that they were going to undergo a long, proper rebuild that he would ask out sooner rather than later.

I realize the Backstrom deal is an anchor but it's not a death knell for the team's chances to become competitive again. They’ll need to optimize the rest of their lineup which will mean saying goodbye to Mantha, Oshie, and especially Kuznetsov but it’s doable. They won’t be in the top tier again until they do a proper rebuild but they should be able to return to the playoffs and make some noise even with Backstrom on the roster. But they’ll need to be aggressive with the assets they currently have.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We need to start a new thread to discuss the offseason. Would people prefer starting the offseason thread now or after the playoffs? Cast your votes please.

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Let's roll boys, let the off-season begin. Hopefully in the coming days we see the entire coaching staff canned except Scott Allen who stays on to run the PK.

Reactions: Calicaps

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Why haven’t they announced they are parting ways?
In TEB’s most recent article he said that BMac will be doing extensive exit interviews, and Lavi is even 50/50 to be re-signed. I hope that’s just being generous, out of respect.

But he said they particularly want to figure out what happened to Kuzy and Mantha this year; if coaching was the issue, etc... And that the whole process will take some time. So, I wouldn’t expect news re a future coach anytime soon.

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad