Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2022-23 Season Part 3: Drop the puck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
1681294548448.png
arresteddevelopment-gobbluth.gif

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
One more to go... fitting it's the final home game for the Devils against us.

New Jersey... where we first clinch our 6 % odds in the final game of the season before winning the Draft lottery that will be held in Jersey in a month.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Backstrom apparently declined to join the Team Sweden for World Championship.

Reasoning being that he needs to strengthen his hip more.

For anyone thinking he might retire, forget it. You can pencil him into our 3rd or 4th line for next season.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

For anyone thinking he might retire, forget it. You can pencil him into our 3rd or 4th line for next season.

He'll be here for Ovie breaking the record, at least.

Reactions: Calicaps

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.

Good for him. Hope he can come back and be an effective 3C and they somehow manage to address the Oshie/Kuznetsov/Mantha issues.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Good for him. Hope he can come back and be an effective 3C and they somehow manage to address the Oshie/Kuznetsov/Mantha issues.
I think Kuz is gone. Hockey trade.

I think Mantha stays, as his value is too far below his cost and he may be able to recuperate his value with a new coach.

Oshie starts the season w the team but hits LTIR. Backstrom will be here. No matter what.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Confirmation of what we assumed, unfortunately. Love Nicky and one of few jerseys I own but it’s tough watching him. If he can get his hip semi-right and come back to be an overpaid defensively responsible 3C who is net neutral in terms of offensive impact while also being effective at the face off dot and continuing to play well on the PP then that’s something they can work with. Best we can hope for is for Nick to be 3.6 Roentgen: not great, not terrible (Chernobyl reference).

I mentioned before that I think it’s impossible to compete with all four of Mantha, Kuznetsov, Oshie, and Backstrom on the roster. They need to subtract two of them to realistically have the cap and roster flexibility to retool on the fly. If Nick is back that means only one of the other guys should be back. I’d actually prefer it to be Mantha (one year left as opposed to two for Oshie and I think Oshie is at the point where he’s going to miss at least half the season from here on out, plus Mantha is 27) but if they can’t or won’t trade Oshie then Mantha and Kuznetsov need walking papers.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I think Kuz is gone. Hockey trade.

I think Mantha stays, as his value is too far below his cost and he may be able to recuperate his value with a new coach.

Oshie starts the season w the team but hits LTIR. Backstrom will be here. No matter what.
This is my fear too. I think to unload Mantha we are going to have to give up futures with him. Kuzy we can trade. But Mantha I think has to be the #1 priority to try and dump

Reactions: Ridley Simon

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Assuming Backstrom is back next year I'm actually most concerned at how he'll perform in what is hopefully an updated power play under a new coach.

With the way that modern effective power plays utilize increased movement over a stagnant 1-3-1 setup I fear that Backstrom's overall utility will be further reduced. They can get away with an overpaid sheltered 3C as long as it comes with significant PP contributions. If Backstrom also proves ineffective on the power play then I struggle to see how he fits in on a team hoping to be competitive.

I don't think they can go into next season penciling Backstrom in on PP1.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
If any of you think 19 is playing 3C I've got a world of disappointment for you coming next season. :laugh:
Why do you think Backstrom is in the top-6?

In terms of ice-time he was 2nd among centers this season but the difference between him (16:50) and Strome (16:39) was a really small one. That despite Laviolette who loves his veterans being in charge.

The only way i can see Backstrom being in the top-6 is if Kuznetsov is traded and not replaced at all (or internally with a kid like CMM/Protas). I don't see them hiring a coach who prefers this Backstrom to Strome.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Assuming Backstrom is back next year I'm actually most concerned at how he'll perform in what is hopefully an updated power play under a new coach.

With the way that modern effective power plays utilize increased movement over a stagnant 1-3-1 setup I fear that Backstrom's overall utility will be further reduced. They can get away with an overpaid sheltered 3C as long as it comes with significant PP contributions. If Backstrom also proves ineffective on the power play then I struggle to see how he fits in on a team hoping to be competitive.

I don't think they can go into next season penciling Backstrom in on PP1.

The Caps PP is pretty ok though, last couple of years pretty middle of the pack. And this current setup gets Ovi goals so i think the 1-1-2-1 formula will remain.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
The Caps PP is pretty ok though, last couple of years pretty middle of the pack. And this current setup gets Ovi goals so i think the 1-1-2-1 formula will remain.
The setup is fine, it's the standing still once we get set up that kills us.

The only two moves we got is switch Ovie and Carlson, and put Ovie beside the net. Both moves do not work.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

But this year they are 21st out of 32 teams in GF/60 at 5v4, and 22nd in goal differential per 60 at 5v4. It's on the bad end of the middle of the pack, and for a team with Ovechkin on it that's not good enough.

For a team that can't really dominate at even strength any more I think they really need to look at optimizing the power play to the extent possible in order to remain competitive next year. The current approach isn't really working. They need to steal more elements from teams like the Oilers and Lightning even if they can't reproduce the exact level of success.

Reactions: koalabear9301

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Devils have a shot at winning the division on Thursday so you have to figure they’ll be icing a full lineup and giving it their all.

Go Canucks!
the Caps just need to lose and they're 8th in the lottery. Sure if the Canucks win it helps, but the Caps control their own destiny!

Reactions: um

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don't know what quality of player 19 will be next year, but I do know that the potential for the hip to be MUCH better is real. Major joint surgeries like that take 12-18 months to fully heal and if he trains hard and strengthens it, the difference in his mobility could be significant.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Why do you think Backstrom is in the top-6?

In terms of ice-time he was 2nd among centers this season but the difference between him (16:50) and Strome (16:39) was a really small one. That despite Laviolette who loves his veterans being in charge.

The only way i can see Backstrom being in the top-6 is if Kuznetsov is traded and not replaced at all (or internally with a kid like CMM/Protas). I don't see them hiring a coach who prefers this Backstrom to Strome.
Because he's beloved by the organization and Ovi and him are considered the cornerstones and leader #1 and leader #2 on this team. Any coach coming in ain't making waves by dropping him to the 3rd line because he's slow. He's always been slow. They'll do the whole "best I've felt in 5 years coming out of camp" thing and he'll drop right into 1C to start the year. I wouldn't look at his ice time coming back early off a major career threatening hip surgery as any indication of where he's slotting with a full off-season of continued rehab. Were stuck with Nick I the top 6 until he's ready to retire, like it or not.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Because he's beloved by the organization and Ovi and him are considered the cornerstones and leader #1 and leader #2 on this team. Any coach coming in ain't making waves by dropping him to the 3rd line because he's slow. He's always been slow. They'll do the whole "best I've felt in 5 years coming out of camp" thing and he'll drop right into 1C to start the year. I wouldn't look at his ice time coming back early off a major career threatening hip surgery as any indication of where he's slotting with a full off-season of continued rehab. Were stuck with Nick I the top 6 until he's ready to retire, like it or not.
eh, I don't get how you're so confident on this.

Backstrom is literally playing 3rd line minutes right now.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
I don't know what quality of player 19 will be next year, but I do know that the potential for the hip to be MUCH better is real. Major joint surgeries like that take 12-18 months to fully heal and if he trains hard and strengthens it, the difference in his mobility could be significant.
Most players who had his surgery didn’t play more than 35 more career games so I guess I am not as optimistic but only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad