Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2022-23 Season Part 3: Drop the puck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Don't know how to reply over a new thread but... @twabby

It seems like established NHLers like Mojo don't really lose their jobs in preseason. Didn't Ovie score his first preseason goal in like 4 years? Preseason doesn't matter to everyone.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Don't know how to reply over a new thread but... @twabby

It seems like established NHLers like Mojo don't really lose their jobs in preseason. Didn't Ovie score his first preseason goal in like 4 years? Preseason doesn't matter to everyone.

I don't expect good established veterans to have to worry about their jobs in the preseason, but Johansson isn't exactly good:

1665501695469.png

Where does Johansson shine, and how exactly does his inclusion help the team prepare for what is hopefully a long postseason? He doesn't drive play, isn't particularly good defensively, doesn't really kill penalties, isn't on PP1, etc. He's an additional depth player on a team full of depth players.

They need impact offensive playdrivers and McMichael has shown that capability in his rookie season. If he isn't going to get a shot they really should just look at trading him. This isn't going to do the team any good.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't expect good established veterans to have to worry about their jobs in the preseason, but Johansson isn't exactly good:

View attachment 592468

Where does Johansson shine, and how exactly does his inclusion help the team prepare for what is hopefully a long postseason?

As a former Mojo basher I had to give it up for his play down the stretch and in the playoffs last year. He was much better than expected.

That's about it. They're probably hoping he has that much left in the tank for another 1yr run.

CMM will likely be a key cog at least by next year and people will see plenty of him then.

Here's the lines tweet from the closed thread so we can all hate on it in the new one

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Nothing surprising about the lineup really. The third line is probably not the advantage they believe it to be (or that it should be).

But, man, once Wilson returns it's going to be a lot of beef up front should Protas continue to belong.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Protas-Strome-Mantha is pretty interesting. Protas and Mantha are giants on the wing and strong two-way players which should help insulate Strome defensively. Hopefully Mantha shoots more since he's the best pure shooter on that line and shouldn't feel pressured to defer to anyone.

When Wilson gets back they're going to be huge.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Protas-Strome-Mantha is pretty interesting. Protas and Mantha are giants on the wing and strong two-way players which should help insulate Strome defensively. Hopefully Mantha shoots more since he's the best pure shooter on that line and shouldn't feel pressured to defer to anyone.

When Wilson gets back they're going to be huge.

Last game Strome played when he was the shortest player on his line? PeeWee?

• Haha
Reactions: RandyHolt

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

View attachment 592468

Where does Johansson shine, and how exactly does his inclusion help the team prepare for what is hopefully a long postseason? He doesn't drive play, isn't particularly good defensively, doesn't really kill penalties, isn't on PP1, etc. He's an additional depth player on a team full of depth players.

They need impact offensive playdrivers and McMichael has shown that capability in his rookie season. If he isn't going to get a shot they really should just look at trading him. This isn't going to do the team any good.
I agree Mojo isn't great, I'm just saying that's how the team views him.

His job to start the season was always guaranteed.

Nothing surprising about the lineup really. The third line is probably not the advantage they believe it to be (or that it should be).

But, man, once Wilson returns it's going to be a lot of beef up front should Protas continue to belong.
I'm surprised to see Protas in the top 6. I would have thought Johansson or Sheary would snag that spot.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
excited for them to be working through things in the room before tomorrow’s game. the third line is boring and scratching mcmichael is lame but its not a surprise based off how how laviolette has run things here, veteran leadership is his number one priority for some reason

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
As a former Mojo basher I had to give it up for his play down the stretch and in the playoffs last year. He was much better than expected.

That's about it. They're probably hoping he has that much left in the tank for another 1yr run.

CMM will likely be a key cog at least by next year and people will see plenty of him then.

Here's the lines tweet from the closed thread so we can all hate on it in the new one

If Mantha can get his head out of his ass and be a little more consistent, that 2nd line would be great.

I'd also move Mojo to 4th and Sheary to 3rd.

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
After seeing Connor not get an opening night jersey maybe it would’ve been the best choice and to keep one of the players that didn’t clear waivers

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
After seeing Connor not get an opening night jersey maybe it would’ve been the best choice and to keep one of the players that didn’t clear waivers
They start the season with a back-to-back and travel. He and Snively will get a chance and probably soon. But the vets get the home opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad