Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Rangers: 05/03/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I'm just poking my head in here and wanted to ask an honest question to better understand where this fan base stands.

Do Rangers fans believe the Rangers need to be more physically intimidating and punishing after an incident such as this?

nah

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
I'm going to tread REALLY REALLY lightly because this is controversial but it's relevant. ADA being persona non grata in the NHL because of his politics and social media habits while Tom Wilson still employed by the Caps and he would find a home in a second if they decided to get rid of him is kind of what REALLY bothers me about the world today. And maybe this one place where the NHL isn't stuck in the 1970s because it seems like ADA's transgressions in 2021 trump Tom Wilson's. And I'm honestly trying hard to be objective here and not rant about a certain type of politics. But this is 100% relevant to the Tom Wilson discussion. Maybe the PR for NHL teams is doing what is in the best interest of their teams in terms of ADA and the PR for a Tom Wilson type just doesn't register on nearly the same scale.

Yea - there are definitely double standards. That said, this is an apples to oranges comparison - the reason behind ADA not playing now and the reason TW is playing have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

I only chimed in to say - they both have scumbag tendencies. I would be happy not to have either in the league.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
We're a team of p***yes. It's always been that way and probably always will be. It gets embarrassing.

Nah, it started with AV and his "turn the cheek" policy. Before that, however, we were always good to have 1-3 goons and some tougher players in the lineup - to a fault. Sather was about as old school as it gets.

We don't need goons, but I'd love to see some big physical talented guys.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Fighting Wilson doesn't work. Headhunting their stars is pointless and furthers the issue that got everyone upset in the first place.
If DOPS can't do its (pretty damn simple) job maybe it's time to show the league we're unhappy by showing up the league?
Just don't play. Head to centre ice, take the face off and then just ignore the puck for the next 60 minutes. Let the caps win 45-0, let single game records be broken left and right, embaress the league in a nationally televised game so that they actually get the message that players aren't happy, and that they feel the league as it is is unable to look after them.

Might as well at that point not show up at MSG. Why get so creative?

Reactions: yrrebbor

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
The rangers should fake some positive covid tests so they can't play tomorrow. Having no game will probably be the way to hurt the NHL the most. I don't care to have our young team playing against an enraged lunatic. Let the playoff teams handle the mess that the NHL created with this joke fine.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I disagree. The second half of that game was the test - and we failed miserably.... like we have all season. What do people honestly expect differently? We are soft in every way. Embarrassing. NYC.
That too. But it’s history. So I’m looking at the next game.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Might as well at that point not show up at MSG. Why get so creative?

I'm sure there are rules about not showing up, and the idea is to force action (or at least a legit conversation) through the poor optics. IMO on ice protest action is more worthwhile than just not turning up, and would get a lot more non-hockey industry coverage

Apr 10, 2012
The rangers should fake some positive covid tests so they can't play tomorrow. Having no game will probably be the way to hurt the NHL the most. I don't care to have our young team playing against an enraged lunatic. Let the playoff teams handle the mess that the NHL created with this joke fine.
They should just forfeit the game in protest

Reactions: mas0764

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I disagree. The second half of that game was the test - and we failed miserably.... like we have all season. What do people honestly expect differently? We are soft in every way. Embarrassing. NYC.
Like its been said this team is extremely mentally weak. They become a deflated balloon after soft goals. Couple that with lack of grit or what have you its a recipe for disaster. They have to address the vet, leadership backbone issue after this season. I'm not advocating resurrecting Bob Probert but this has to be remedied. Someone who leads by example and gives the team some sorta will to play after a bad goal, injury, fight, etc.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Fighting Wilson doesn't work. Headhunting their stars is pointless and furthers the issue that got everyone upset in the first place.
If DOPS can't do its (pretty damn simple) job maybe it's time to show the league we're unhappy by showing up the league?
Just don't play. Head to centre ice, take the face off and then just ignore the puck for the next 60 minutes. Let the caps win 45-0, let single game records be broken left and right, embaress the league in a nationally televised game so that they actually get the message that players aren't happy, and that they feel the league as it is is unable to look after them.

No.

Like most others, I want Wilson's head. I don't want any Ranger to fight him because they'll lose. I want the Rangers to win this. If I'm going to embarrass the league, I want it on my terms. Whether it's knee on knee, charging from behind against the boards, or my personal favorite, a flying crosscheck, preferably while he's occupied with someone else, that's what I want to see. I accept the suspension, no matter who it is, not that there's numerous choices.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I don't think the move is to go after Wilson. I think its to go after Backstrom, Carlson, or take a run at Ovie. Let them know that if their boy wants to run around and play schoolyard bully, one of his buddies is going to take a beating.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
That would be another way to do it. Ovie can break a record. 20 goals in a single game. But if any of them throws a hit, all hell breaks lose for the remainder of the game.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
I don't think the move is to go after Wilson. I think its to go after Backstrom, Carlson, or take a run at Ovie. Let them know that if their boy wants to run around and play schoolyard bully, one of his buddies is going to take a beating.

The problem is that we have the moral authority to go after Wilson in any way possible. I don't think we have that for other players unless Wilson doesn't dress.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I guarantee if Wilson pulled this against any other team's star players there would have been a very harsh suspension. Think Pittsburgh.

No doubt.

If Wilson had done this to Crosby, the sky would literally be on fire at this moment.

Wilson would be looking at no less than a suspension for this years playoffs and likely into next season.

The league is telling everybody what they think of the Rangers organization and it's fan base in very clear terms.

No surprise there. The Rangers org is hated around the league in kind of a white hot intensity is my sense of things.

Gorton and the brain trust's response has to be at least some of the following IMHO:

-Bring in the best possible immediate solution
-Ryan Reeves just for the sake of discussion
-ideally someone who can/will wreck the other teams best players with hard, clean hits in addition to other things if necessary.
-draft accordingly, which I actually think they are doing a pretty good job of. Just do it better. Scour the earth relentlessly. Find the meanest, nastiest SOB's that can also play.

The Rangers simply have to reverse the reputation of being a team of artists that is easy to play against.

No offense to artists. Hemingway was pretty good with his fists. The Rangers are not close to Hemingway.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

Go after both. It's a War.

Inflict as much pain and grief as possible.

Sit back.

Listen to the whining.

Bathe in their tears.

Reactions: Captain Monglobster

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Nah, it started with AV and his "turn the cheek" policy. Before that, however, we were always good to have 1-3 goons and some tougher players in the lineup - to a fault. Sather was about as old school as it gets.

We don't need goons, but I'd love to see some big physical talented guys.
Brian boyle may have been a punching bag in scraps but he was in the battle for his teammates. Brandon prust wasn't a goon but he was there for teammates. You don't need goons to have team toughness

Last edited:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
The league is beyond goons.

The Rangers need a balance of talent and legit menace and players that can bring both.

Hard to find, but well worth the hunt.

Other teams manage it. Now the Rangers have to find a way as well.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
The league is beyond goons.

The Rangers need a balance of talent and legit menace and players that can bring both.

Hard to find, but well worth the hunt.

Other teams manage it. Now the Rangers have to find a way as well.

hard to find for the Rangers . both Folignos, Simmonds, Dustin Brown, Jamie Benn, Iginla back in the day, Landeskog. Maroon, Gourd, Coleman, Wood, Faksa Comtois Tkachuk brothers, Backes (in his prime) Lucic (Gorton drafted him), Marchand, all these players have skill, size and grit in the top 9. Rangers seem to always want to avoid these types and always prefer the no talent tough guy on the 4th line :huh:anyone know why? they don't want their skilled guys to take penalties would be the only reason :help:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
And then the league wonders why incidents like Todd Bertuzzi happen. To be honest, I don’t expect the Rangers to do anything tomorrow. They don’t have the horses and Quinn doesn’t have the balls. If this was a Torts team I’d have expected World War 3.

Which players of the ones available, under a different coach, would you expect to start WWIII, tomorrow?

Reactions: egelband and Pizza
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad