Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
One team that hasn't been mentioned for Grubauer but that could be a logical fit is Detroit. Howard is UFA after next season and they have no clear heir apparent type that's close currently. He could be a good fit for their rebuild. They own picks at 30, 33 and 36. They have a couple of prospects in Hronek & Smith that could hold some value. In addition, I'd guess Buffalo, Calgary and a couple of maybes in Colorado and Dallas.

I don't think the Caps are going to want to do the Islanders any favors but if they can get 12 for Grubauer+31 that may be hard to top. Would they value 30+Smith over that? I wouldn't. At the very least, five to six teams with serious interest should allow them to hit the late first, early second type range MacLellan mentioned.

Jun 15, 2007
Eh...would've thought that meeting would've happened by now already.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Cap space is not an issue for the Isles at all. Getting that number one defenseman is more important than worrying about 2m in overpayment.

They can just expose him to Seattle anyway. He'd by far the best player available so I think Seattle would bite too.
When you talk about contracts you have to look beyond one year. The Islanders have a lot of cap room right now. The Islanders are likely signing Tavares to a long term deal north of $10 million, then they have to look to pay Eberle after next year and Barzal in two years, then presumably a number 1 G. Two million dollars is a ton of cap space when you really get down to it. Here we are splitting hairs right now about losing Beagle or DSP and if we had an extra 2 million we'd be set.

To lock up two players for 20 million dollars for 15 years would be a huge problem, 1/4 of your salary cap would be invested in two guys. Also you'd be insane to make huge moves like that and figure you have a bail out when next expansion draft comes. There is no guarantee regarding the health or production of Carlson at that point, let alone what team Seattle is building.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Why does his agent have to be in Dallas. He can just sit back and watch the phones blow up, right? George faxes.

bossmoney.jpg

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Uh I suppose it’s possible he’s repping others or searching for clients right? Certainly wouldnt hurt to try to get a bidding war going if he can over JC 74....relationships and pressing palms matters.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Very easy to talk hypothetically with a GM and avoid tampering.
It's really not, even hypotheticals are clearly tampering.

Under the current CBA until July 1 all you're generally allowed to express is interest in a guy, like literally going "I'd like to have that guy on my team."

Anything pertaining to cost or term is tampering.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
10 Thoughts: Bergevin looking to add centre, defenceman for Canadiens - Sportsnet.ca
6. Speaking of the Capitals, it sounds like there’s been quite a bit of interest in Philipp Grubauer. One exec, who admitted interest, said Wednesday that the price could be higher than he thought it would be.

Two outsiders that might make some sense: Chicago and Ottawa.
Chicago has a second first rounder thanks to the Hartman deal at 27. They may need some insurance for Crawford. Ottawa earlier in the article was mentioned as making Craig Anderson available. They have the 22nd pick from the Brassard deal.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
The time to deal grubs is now (and any other cap casualties) You don’t want to start signing the UFAs and have a repeat of mojo last year where the return was cheapened because everyone knew the caps were in cap trouble.

Gmbm better learn from those mistakes and clear the room earlier.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
If there's indeed significant competition for Grubauer in a pretty narrow range, maybe one of those teams will bite on Orpik as part of the deal, hmm?

Jun 15, 2007
If there's indeed significant competition for Grubauer in a pretty narrow range, maybe one of those teams will bite on Orpik as part of the deal, hmm?

Have to wonder about Ottawa. They have to trade Karlsson but it's not like they can tank since they don't have their pick. They might be forced to trade for some cheap but effective assets in order to try to ice a competitive team without Karlsson. Orpik's actual salary is only 4.5m so he makes some sense for them.

Would do Grubauer and Orpik for Pittsburgh's 1st.

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
Maybe we can get away with just trading Connolly? I like the scoring depth he provides, but I also think DSP outperformed him in the playoffs, showing he deserves a shot at a bigger role on the team.

Trading Bura would allow more cap space, but Bura has more upside and seems (to me at least) to be a bigger part of the team's fabric. The return for either one would probably be similar.

Capfriendly shows we have $15.7 million in space -- without trading anyone.
Carlson $8.5m + Wilson $4.25m + Kempny $1.5m + DSP $1.5m = $15.75
(not sure if those contracts are close to what it will take, but I hope so)

Add Connolly's $1.5 million to that -- and we can add a bargain bin vet (or two?) or bank cap space.

I'd be reluctant to trade Orpik for chemistry reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad