Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Im done with his potential.

Im done with his inability to score.

Im done with his inability to stay healthy.

Yeah, he had a great game 7 against Tampa...but Im not sold on his longterm potential here.

Let him find it somewhere else and bring back the 2 dudes that showed up when it counted....and will cost as much as the one who barley did.
Beagle was scoreless in 13 games last year in the playoffs and if you take away the last 3 games DSP was 4-1-5 in 21 games. Burakovsky had more points in the finals than DSP and twice as many as Beagle. If they can get a 1st round return on Bura to keep Kempny that's cool but trading him to keep Beagle means trading one of your oldest skaters who's got the worst Corsi on the team for one of your youngest who has the best Corsi on the team.

Last edited:

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Aren't hacks like Larry Brooks, Adrien Dater, Steve Simmonds, and Greg Wyshynski on the PHWA and as such part of the voting body for these awards? Those guys are an embarrassment to their profession and to the sport of hockey.
You're talking about a group of people who think "value" to your team that gets it to a wild card spot is somehow materially different from value that gets it to a ninth-place finish in the conference and routinely cite "wins" as a goalie stat. The whole thing is a joke.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Aren't hacks like Larry Brooks, Adrien Dater, Steve Simmonds, and Greg Wyshynski on the PHWA and as such part of the voting body for these awards? Those guys are an embarrassment to their profession and to the sport of hockey.

Yes. And I believe the voting system is, from 5th place to 1st, 1-3-5-7-10 points. The margin of victory for Hall over MacKinnon is like 7 first place votes which means a handful of NY or other market journo hacks could've been the deciding factor.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
It's the same for baseball and football.

Terrell Owens should have been a first ballot hall of famer but he was made to wait because he didn't get along with hacks like these guys. Then when he basically tells them to go shove it and that he's not going to participate in their dog and pony show he is once again the villain. Sports media is basically "kiss the ring".

There are several BBWA HOF voters who have flat out declared that they're not voting for anyone from the "steroid era". Honestly, you'll never find a more sanctimonious bunch than sports writers.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I am fine with keeping Burky here and getting him under the wings of a new coach. Barry brought the cup to DC but it doesn't change the fact that his young top6/9 forward players have had struggles under his guidance. Vrana and Burky are perfect examples of lack of trust in the regular season leading to inconsistent play. Burky's value is pretty much at an all time low, even if he has the exact same season as this past year (he won't) it won't lower his value so just throw him out and see what happens.

I have been pumping this idea up in my head for a couple days. It would be awesome if the Caps made a splash at the draft.

Caps Get: 2nd Overall this year, take Svechnikov

Carolina Gets: 2018 First, 2018 2nd, 2019 First, Grubauer.

Why?
Caps need some top 6 forwards in the prospect pool. Right now it is only Vrana and he is already a solid top 9 player going into next year. Need some more talent because I don't see it from anyone in Hershey.

Carolina wants a culture change what better way than to get three top 50 picks in the next two years and a goalie who is cheap and out to prove he is a legit number 1.

The picks in my mind kind of balance each other out from the Caps perspective and well worth getting to move into the top 3.

Still might not be enough for Carolina though

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I am fine with keeping Burky here and getting him under the wings of a new coach. Barry brought the cup to DC but it doesn't change the fact that his young top6/9 forward players have had struggles under his guidance. Vrana and Burky are perfect examples of lack of trust in the regular season leading to inconsistent play. Burky's value is pretty much at an all time low, even if he has the exact same season as this past year (he won't) it won't lower his value so just throw him out and see what happens.

I have been pumping this idea up in my head for a couple days. It would be awesome if the Caps made a splash at the draft.

Why?
Caps need some top 6 forwards in the prospect pool. Right now it is only Vrana and he is already a solid top 9 player going into next year. Need some more talent because I don't see it from anyone in Hershey.

Carolina wants a culture change what better way than to get three top 50 picks in the next two years and a goalie who is cheap and out to prove he is a legit number 1.

The picks in my mind kind of balance each other out from the Caps perspective and well worth getting to move into the top 3.

So 31OA + 46OA in 2018 + another pick in the late 20s/early 30s (hopefully) in 2019 + Grubauer for Svechnikov? Brutal for Carolina. This is certainly a quality for quantity swap. Carolina might not even listen to that offer if you swapped out Grubauer for Holtby.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Why?

No where near enough, IMO. Top 2 talent (franchise altering player) for a bunch of maybes and a back up G.

Would need to add Vrana or Burakovsky, Samasanov, etc.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Dater blocks me on Twitter, which is super odd considering I've never interacted with him in any capacity (follow, like. or retweet any of his tweets). Only reason I found out was I wanted to read an Avs rumor a few TDLs ago and I was blocked. Such a weird move

blindsideheadshot

Jun 26, 2013
Dater blocks me on Twitter, which is super odd considering I've never interacted with him in any capacity (follow, like. or retweet any of his tweets). Only reason I found out was I wanted to read an Avs rumor a few TDLs ago and I was blocked. Such a weird move

Dater is pretty notorious for being a big baby and was especially such around when the Caps dealt Varly to the Avs. He may have just blanket blocked active Caps fans at some point honestly.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Grubi to Isles makes a lot of sense.

Caps need to name Reirden coach, ASAP. Or at least tell the players. Hoping that helps Carlson finalize his plans and Stay in DC

Tick tock tick tock. And dare I think the Isles will be making a play for Carlson, what with their lackluster defense.

Maybe they go after Orpik if they cannot get JC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad