Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am one of the few, but think Orpik is kinda core. He may be a key cog WRT coaching changes upcoming. Heck, he is maybe greater than a coach because he not only talks the talk, he walks the walk. Coaches screaming at players to block shots isn't the same as him saying it, and showing how it's done. Ovi and the guys like him.

If we lose Carlson, I am certainly more inclined to keep Orpik. FWIW he is going to provide cap relief in a year. Yes someone like Beagle or Bura stands to get the axe, so retaining him isn't a 100% no brainer. In the end, we would have to replace him as well. Jerabek perhaps?

Orlov Nisk | Kemps Carlson | Djoos Bowey | Jerry

Orlov Nisk | Kemps Bowey? | Orpik Djoos | Jerry

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
So how can they get the Carlson cap hit lower than the actual salary again? Bonuses or something? Im so behind on how to manipulate the salary system, but I see players like Suter that has a $9 million dollar salary next year, but only a $7,538,462 cap hit.

We need that!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
But does the core really need a babysitter when they've got a Cup to their resume? They should know how to conduct themselves and not need a vet's vet keeping them in line. That's the role they ought to be pivoting toward and taking from him going forward. I think Oshie is important in that regard. Niskanen, too. Orpik's no doubt popular in the room and if they could pull off moving Burakovsky instead for strong value I might just do that...but he's not going to be around forever and it's going to be tough to know 100% whether moving him alone would clear enough. MacLellan did reference the room being strong for being able to withstand changes but I think that's likely true with or without Orpik. I might be more inclined to keep Beagle if Orpik is moved out but I think they'd be fine without either. They would need to not completely skimp on depth PKers but at least when it comes to regular season success and the room being strong enough for that I'd be surprised if they couldn't keep it moving. Others would need to step up in some respects and you'd think they'd have little problem with confidence and taking on new challenges. Hopefully Reirden and his staff are truly hands-on throughout the season developmentally and that helps limit any sort of hangover effect.

They could front-load Carlson's contract and perhaps make the eighth year or final years a bit cheaper.

Last edited:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Orpik has got to go.

A good GM can find what he does for cheaper. A good coach can have what Orpik does for cheaper.

Simple as that. Carlson made 4 and Orpik 5 this year. I bet Caps could pay Carlson 8 and another guy 2 and be at basically the same cap hit but be just as productive. That’s the move

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Pretty aggressive of them. They have Condon @ $2.4M and added Gustavsson from PIT at the deadline but I can't imagine that's their duo next season. Likely a cost-cutting move if they can pull it off but it makes them an even more likely fit for Grubauer.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
The proposal made here of trading Orpik and trying to reacquire him at the deadline isn't the worst idea. He'd have to go to a likely non-playoff team, but that's probably where he'd be going anyway.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
But does the core really need a babysitter when they've got a Cup to their resume? They should know how to conduct themselves and not need a vet's vet keeping them in line. That's the role they ought to be pivoting toward and taking from him going forward. I think Oshie is important in that regard. Niskanen, too. Orpik's no doubt popular in the room and if they could pull off moving Burakovsky instead for strong value I might just do that...but he's not going to be around forever and it's going to be tough to know 100% whether moving him alone would clear enough. MacLellan did reference the room being strong for being able to withstand changes but I think that's likely true with or without Orpik. I might be more inclined to keep Beagle if Orpik is moved out but I think they'd be fine without either. They would need to not completely skimp on depth PKers but at least when it comes to regular season success and the room being strong enough for that I'd be surprised if they couldn't keep it moving. Others would need to step up in some respects and you'd think they'd have little problem with confidence and taking on new challenges. Hopefully Reirden and his staff are truly hands-on throughout the season developmentally and that helps limit any sort of hangover effect.

They could front-load Carlson's contract and perhaps make the eighth year or final years a bit cheaper.

This seems to be the current drum you’re beating. Not so sure it’s accurate in locker room dynamics. Winning a Cup doesn’t suddenly make you a leader or not need to be lifted up and led.

Jun 15, 2007
I don't think front loading Carlson's contract is some genius move. It's pretty much standard fare for UFAs nowadays. I will be surprised if it's not heavily front loaded.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This seems to be the current drum you’re beating. Not so sure it’s accurate in locker room dynamics. Winning a Cup doesn’t suddenly make you a leader or not need to be lifted up and led.
You don't believe it helps their confidence when in adverse situations going forward? That's leadership in itself in terms of leading by example, not letting frustration get to them individually and being selfless in how they play. All of the lessons from this run ought to be useful. It won't be easy. There will still be an elusive right mix to put together in terms of the group of players, the approach and the execution. But, yes, I will stand by the notion that after winning a Cup as a group that Orpik's revered leadership is less important going forward. They still need his physicality and PK type role but the rest I do believe the group would be able to handle.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

Jun 15, 2007
We're at the point where Brooks Orpik has become overrated. Never thought I'd see that day.

We sound like Chicago fans trying to justify Toews.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’d hate to see Grubauer in Ottawa. Obviously if the return is good then make the trade but I’d like to see Grubauer on a competitive team with an owner who cares about winning.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You don't believe it helps their confidence when in adverse situations going forward? That's leadership in itself in terms of leading by example, not letting frustration get to them individually and being selfless in how they play. All of the lessons from this run ought to be useful. It won't be easy. There will still be an elusive right mix to put together in terms of the group of players, the approach and the execution. But, yes, I will stand by the notion that after winning a Cup as a group that Orpik's revered leadership is less important going forward. They still need his physicality and PK type role but the rest I do believe the group would be able to handle.

Sure I believe it builds confidence...I also believe real leadership matters. It’s a notion many of you seek to brush off way too easily. I’ve already said for $ he probably needs to go, but I won’t pretend he won’t leave a big vacuum either....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think front loading Carlson's contract is some genius move. It's pretty much standard fare for UFAs nowadays. I will be surprised if it's not heavily front loaded.

It’s typically a win for both sides....player gets his money early. Team pays top $ for hopefully the better years of the term and the lesser real $ owed on the back end makes the player more moveable later...

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Last edited:

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Grubauer to the Isles is ideal. They need a goalie and have cap space, signing him to a bridge deal 3-4yrs puts him in a starting role, and his contract would be up by the time Sorokin arrives and gets his feet wet, seems like a good fit.

Jun 15, 2007
Isabelle's comments on value of goalies does not equal MacLellan saying it. A 12th overall straight up is a pipe dream though. Maybe the 12th for Grubi and their 2nd or 3rd.
Actually if you click the article it is MacLellan saying it. She just messed up the quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad