Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
DgPtQ1rXcAA6Nqv.jpg:large

hahahahaha ok nhl relax

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Man, that's much lower then I anticipated with the Cap.

Gotta hope Trotz in NY may mean we have an avenue to trade Orpik with a Grubauer package.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
No one is going to trade for Orpik

1. Trotz loves Orpik, don't rule that out.
2. Expiring contracts are great for teams who want to get to the cap floor but pay less money (as Orpik's contract does now).
3. He's still an NHLer. Not a top pairing guy but he can give you 18 minutes a night and PK. That has value.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Colorado is the only team that might struggle to reach the salary floor. The other teams near the bottom of the current payroll list only have 13-16 roster spots under contract right now.

Working up from the bottom of the list we see the Islanders first, but that will change the instant they ink Tavares' extension. Carolina is next from the bottom, but only has 12 returning players under contract, so it will barely cost them more than $1M per contract to hit the floor (plus they need to give Hanifin a raise). Trading Skinner will open up a little more salary demand there, but once again simply filling out the roster with NHL players should mean they can hit the floor without much issue. Vegas has 16 players under contract already, so they're a little closer to the 23 roster spots filled. But coming off the cup finals and with rumors circling around guys like Karlsson, they're going to spend to contend again (plus if they make plays to keep Perron or Neal that eats into the space pretty quick). That brings us to the Rangers, who are rebuilding, but are still the Rangers. Don't think them hitting the salary floor will be a concern. Plus they're only $8M away and have 10 roster spots to fill. Which finally brings us to Colorado. They're at $52.1M right now and need to reach $58.8M, but they have 21 guys already under contract. So with $6.7M and only a couple spots left to give out, the Avalanche are the one team that might struggle to get to the cap floor. But they already have 8 defensemen under contract, plus Siemens and Nemeth as RFAs. It's possible they augment their blueline if they wish to be stronger contenders, but I'd guess their money will be pointed more at forwards.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
If i was NYI I would get Grubauer and Orpik
Sign Nelson
Sign Mike Green

Have a sneaky 2 year window whilst Barzal is still on his entry level deal?
Thats probably close to a playoff team?

Jun 15, 2007
Buffalo doesn't want Grubauer. They have Ullmark and the Finnish guy. They'll just get a cheap vet.

Jun 15, 2007
If i was NYI I would get Grubauer and Orpik
Sign Nelson
Sign Mike Green

Have a sneaky 2 year window whilst Barzal is still on his entry level deal?
Thats probably close to a playoff team?
If I was NYI I wouldn't touch Orpik. I'd offer Carlson 7x10 in UFA.

Jun 15, 2007
God gawd, you'd be out of your Yanni Gourde to do that.
Cap space is not an issue for the Isles at all. Getting that number one defenseman is more important than worrying about 2m in overpayment.

They can just expose him to Seattle anyway. He'd by far the best player available so I think Seattle would bite too.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Hurricanes still hoping to make big splash at draft, but NHL market remains stagnant
The Hurricanes are one of five or six teams with serious interest in the Washington Capitals' Philipp Grubauer, a restricted free agent, but there's stiff competition for the top goalie on the market.

“He's the best option, I think, that's out there,” Washington general manager Brian MacLellan said. “You maybe look at the past goalies that have gone, it's probably a late first(-round pick), maybe an early second. ... He wants to be a No. 1 somewhere. He doesn't want to be a No. 2 anymore, and we want to accommodate his wishes.”

The Hurricanes have a second-round pick, 42nd overall, to offer, but the New York Islanders, who could flip first-round picks with Washington – the 11th or 12th for the 31st – are considered the front-runners. Any Grubauer deal involving a swap of first-round picks would have to happen by Friday night, so there's some time pressure on the Capitals to get that done.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
This calm before the storm is making me nervous.

Gruby
Carlson
Coach (less so)
Cap
Bura
Willy
Beagle

The longer it goes the more nervous i get now.
meh. everyone was waiting for the final official cap number. now they have it.

grubi is gone, probably at the draft, but before the season for sure. burt... who cares really? willy gets done. dsp and beagle will depend on carlson. 74 is the only thing i'm even a little anxious about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad