Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
It's really not, even hypotheticals are clearly tampering.

Under the current CBA until July 1 all you're generally allowed to express is interest in a guy, like literally going "I'd like to have that guy on my team."

Anything pertaining to cost or term is tampering.

Discussions can begin Sunday (basically, the day after the draft concludes):

Sunday, June 24, 12:01 a.m.: The UFA “interview period” begins, where pending unrestricted free agents may speak to teams that do not hold their rights. However, they may not sign a contract until July 1.

(couldn't find NHL source so it's Canes: Storm Advisory 6/12/18: NHL Offseason Schedule and More News and Links)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I assume they talk numbers. Yes, even though it is frowned upon. It's like buying a car. You scribble something on a napkin. 7x9.5NMC

Push it back and forth. No words needed. Crumple it up and throw it in the trash can. It never happened. Heck it's almost unamerican to stick to the rules when it comes to big deals. It's not like a complex trade needs to be hammered out.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Jun 15, 2007
they probably trying to get those guys back too
Right but LeBrun is making it seem like the Caps just realized they needed to make space.

Either 1) LeBrun is just talking out of his ass 2) Carlson is asking for way more than expected 3) Caps front office is way more incompetent than expected.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Right but LeBrun is making it seem like the Caps just realized they needed to make space.

Either 1) LeBrun is just talking out of his ass 2) Carlson is asking for way more than expected 3) Caps front office is way more incompetent than expected.

or 4) they are trading grubauer for the cap space they need

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
or 4) they are trading grubauer for the cap space they need
This doesn't fit the form of items 1-3 at all...

It definitely sounds a little odd. I guess they need to nail down certain specifics, but you'd have to think some of the corresponding moves would come after they've reached the deal with Carlson anyway, so if they've agreed, make it official.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
This doesn't fit the form of items 1-3 at all...

It definitely sounds a little odd. I guess they need to nail down certain specifics, but you'd have to think some of the corresponding moves would come after they've reached the deal with Carlson anyway, so if they've agreed, make it official.

right but your asking me if the caps management are dumb (seriously?) if lebrun is making it up or if carlson is asking for more then we thought. my point is, they probably know what carlson wants. are focused on giving the grubauer money to carlson once they trade him

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

Option 4 they have figures in mind of all the guys they want to bring back or bring in and they need to figure out if they can live without one or two of them.
Option 5 they want to maximize the return for someone like Bura so instead of waiting til after the draft and free agency to trade him a la MOJO, they want to make that decision now.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Would you guys consider 2nd OA + Elias Lindholm for Bäckström + Grubauer?

Winning the Cup makes guys like Ovi, Backstrom, Holtby off-limits. And I don't know enough about Lindholm.
But as a pure hypothetical, it's interesting -- can it be worth to downgrade to a worse (but younger) 2nd line center in order to get an elite scoring talent. It's a fair question, IMO.

Reactions: MW6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->