Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
For me, it's not about Kuzy getting Covid a second time that makes me want to ship him out; the issue I have is that this is another data point that he's not reliable. Covid twice, getting suspended for missing the team function, getting suspended for the cocaine mess, mailing it in during the bubble last year... this is a guy who can be a top player in the league and is paid to be this team's top line center and has put his teammates in a bad spot a handful of times at this point. At what point do you say enough is enough? They can't risk having ~9.5% of the cap continually dropping the ball.

I think there are still a bunch of unknowns about the most recent incidents, including whether missing the team function and him getting COVID are related. Did he miss the team function, and then get COVID going to a strip club or whatever high risk activity would land him in hot water? Did he miss the team function because he already contracted COVID again? As I said I suspect he did something high-risk in order to get COVID again, but we don't know for sure. I'm willing to let it play out.

The cocaine thing is bad, so no excuses there. But come on everyone except for Ovechkin and one or two others mailed it in in the bubble. Even generally reliable players like Oshie, Wilson, Eller, Hagelin, Hathaway, etc. all were terrible. Kuznetsov was actually one of the better players in the bubble.

And we still don't know how he got COVID the first time. We know they hung out in the hotel room, but AFIAK that's not how they got COVID. At that time there were no vaccines and cases were surging so it could have been a much more benign reason.

I'm going to generally defer to management on this one as they will certainly have more details than we do, but from what I know I think people are overblowing his list of faults. Especially after it looks like he's put in extra work on the ice this year to make himself a more well-rounded player.

Reactions: crab

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Did he put in extra work, or did his compete level just get increased? I think the latter honestly.

19 you can tell put in the extra work. Kuzy looks the same, just more engaged thanks to Lavi IMO.

That said, I’m willing to let this play out also. We’ll likely never get the real info we all want.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Did he put in extra work, or did his compete level just get increased? I think the latter honestly.

19 you can tell put in the extra work. Kuzy just looks the same, just more engaged thanks to Lavi.

Either way he's taking it more seriously on the ice, and his defensive numbers help reinforce that point.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Can someone explain the rules (and logic) of them that kuzy is cleared to be around the team but not for games.. ha. Seems really odd.

Reactions: crab

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I doubt Kuznetsov will play in G2 but seems promising that he'll play later on in the series.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Can someone explain the rules (and logic) of them that kuzy is cleared to be around the team but not for games.. ha. Seems really odd.

Ya makes zero sense. You can be a close contact with players A that will then play against players B but you can’t be a close contact with players B.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I assume Kuzy is still in protocol because he is still symptomatic, but as he is no longer testing positive he isn’t a transmission threat. For test-positive and symptomatic players the protocol is about more than just isolation - it’s also about mandatory ECG and respiratory monitoring, limited/no exercise etc. for the player’s own safety.

Kuzy being allowed to practice now, I suspect, is akin to being medically cleared to skate but not to play after an injury.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I will need to hear Laviolette more on that subject. I read it as he was saying that he is not in any condition to start practice. If the league has cleared him to participate he cant be on the COVID list any longer.

But lets see what he says tomorrow.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Maybe if you're in protocol you can practice around others who are either in the protocol or vaccinated? Dunno. Seems like a weird policy.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Btw, if it turns out Kuzy got covid and Sammy just was in close contact to him not being late or anything, that isnt even f*** up from him I'd say (Sammy).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
JFC it almost feels like we need a footnoted FAQ on "What We Know So Far" about the Saga of Kuzy and Sammy.

With the schedule as it is there isnt going to be a full practice til after this round if they advance. So, watching them in practice will tell us nothing. I will believe they are going to play when they show up in the warm up.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
you have to put yourself in the position to get it. If it was a family member or otherwise an innocent infection, doesn’t it seem like the whole message from the coaching staff and team would have a different vibe?
This isn’t all true. Lots of cautious people have gotten it, including a lot of pro athletes who followed the rules. I have no idea if kuzy was stupid or not, but claiming he was based only on his infection is not fair.

Reactions: twabby

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
This isn’t all true. Lots of cautious people have gotten it, including a lot of pro athletes who followed the rules. I have no idea if kuzy was stupid or not, but claiming he was based only on his infection is not fair.
Correct...and medically speaking reinfection is exceedingly rare so I’m sure he thought he was immune at least for a while.

I’m assuming he missed a team meeting because he was out enjoying NYC and somehow he also caught COVID? I really would love a full explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad