Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
What’s the biggest issue with this caps team no one is mentioning is how bad we are lately at developing forwards. Especially in bottom 6.

when you have to trade for raffl, sign guys like Hagelin and panik to 4 year deals, etc - that’s because you don’t have depth in your minors.

some of our top picks seems to be okay - and defensively we are okay - but depth forwards with guys on entry level contracts has hurt this team badly lately. It has also made us so much older.

Are we any better at developing defensemen? Five of our seven D-men this year were signed or traded for in the last 3 years because the D-men we drafted didn’t make it past a #6 D within the organisation - Bowey, Djoos, Siegenthaler, Lewington etc. I don’t see Alexeyev and Fehevary both being regulars in the lineup for at least a year, if at all knowing this organisation’s approach to young players.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't have time right now to read every single hot take on this, but it's utterly ridiculous to pivot from that horrid performance by Kuz and Sammy, following their multiple bonehead off-ice moves, and somehow start blaming 4 of our best team players who have proven themselves much more on and off the ice, and who were all injured and/or unable to play at 100% for other reasons (Wilson being a target for DOPS).

Just mind-boggling.

No one's blaming anyone. Just trying to understand where the team is deficient and how to improve it.

In my opinion their superstars (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie) are just too old to be expected to carry the team to a championship any more, and their secondary core players (Wilson, Kuznetsov, Carlson) aren't good enough to carry the team. That's not blaming them, that's understanding their limitations.

If you could somehow swap Kuznetsov+ for say, Jack Eichel, I'm all for it. I don't think such a trade is likely. I don't even know if Kuznetsov+ gets you a decent 2C, let alone a 1C that this team desperately needs.

Reactions: Hivemind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad