Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Will be interesting to see what lineup we start with vs Bruins/Isles when the playoff starts. Carlson might just be rested as Caps have 6 good defenders and giving him a game or two off seems like a good move, but I would guess Backström and Ovi isnt in top shape or they would have dressed 12 players. Now both Wilson and Oshie might have gotten some smaller injuries aswell. Eller had to carry the team last game and playing him almost 26 minutes isnt ideal as you want the players fresh when the playoffs start.

A lot of question marks this year. Will Backström and Ovi be back in good shape for the playoffs? How are Oshie and Wilson doing? Will Kuznetsov be back for the playoffs (Also Samsonov)?

I think the forwards Caps have now are extremely deep and their bottom 6 can really contribute, but with so many problems to the top 6 before the real season start is worrisome. The defence are looking better, but I guess TVR will be benched when the playoffs start even tough he have looked really good witl Dillon. We had question marks on the goalie position when Caps won the cup, but Holtby stepped up then. Hopefully someone will this time aswell.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
All I’m going to say is I can remember points even in the Trotz days where the Caps simply couldn’t win if Ovi was out. They could barely score if Ovi was out.

They’ve just played a game undermanned in which Ovi, Backstrom, Kuzy and Carlson were out, they had a barely-played 39-year-old in net, Oshie went out halfway through, Wilson and Sheary and no doubt other guys are playing while banged up... and won.

It says to me that we’ve a lot of guys who can elevate their game and don’t give up - Eller, Sheary, Dowd, Hags, Hathaway, Sprong, TVR, Schultz, Chara... the list goes on and on. It guarantees nothing - at this point we might be playing Hershey in caps uniforms come game 1 - but I like this is a team that seems to excel in adversity, and that bodes well.

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
I think if Kuzy and Sammy are still on Covid protocol we do have a decent amount of temporary space though.
Im still a bit confused by the Covid technicalities... But I believe players that are on the Covid Protocol do open up roster spots(their own), but do not add cap space. Not absolutely sure though.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Im still a bit confused by the Covid technicalities... But I believe players that are on the Covid Protocol do open up roster spots(their own), but do not add cap space. Not absolutely sure though.
You could be right, I can’t find any clear explanation of the rules

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Kuzy and Sammy going on COVID list allowed Carr to be recalled and then Pilon. When Kuzy was just benched for bad behavior the Caps had to play with a less than full game roster. COVID list provides cap relief

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
Kuzy and Sammy going on COVID list allowed Carr to be recalled and then Pilon. When Kuzy was just benched for bad behavior the Caps had to play with a less than full game roster. COVID list provides cap relief

Key 20-21 Transition Rules | Puckpedia

One or both of the "COVID & Roster/Cap" and the "Emergency Roster Rules" may be in play with the Caps these days. The article at this link was written before the start of the season(i think), but Im guessing it is still mostly accurate in those two categories.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Post game Lavy says that he wasnt resting anyone. That if someone was good to play, they would have been in the game. Then Sheary in his post gamer says something about guys hurt and guys taking rest(or that is what it sounded like). Soon as he said that Lars Eller sitting next to him turns his head and looks to someone off camera to his right.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Good for Ovi. I hope Ovi stays in the DC area even after he retires. It would be nice to see him involved like this. Guy got the town a cup, and we hadn't had one in forever counting all DC sports.

Reactions: Corby78

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Damn. Good for F'n Ov! I still believe that Ovechkin becomes a minority owner of the Capitals when he retires and takes a legit front office job with the team at that time. This move my Ov only supports that idea

Meanwhile, this is a sure sign he is going to sign a UFA contract with the LA Kings in July. HA

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I would love to hear an explanation from the management regarding Anderson's season. What was the idea behind this signing? Why complete lack of playing time? Vanecek and Samsonov certainly have not succeeded in laying claim to starter's position. Still, Caps have essentially pretended that Anderson doesn't exist.

It seems reasonable to assume that Anderson was showing himself completely incapable of performing at NHL level in practice. However, the few times that he did play he looked fine. He had a very good game yesterday. So what's the deal with all of this?

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I would love to hear an explanation from the management regarding Anderson's season. What was the idea behind this signing? Why complete lack of playing time? Vanecek and Samsonov certainly have not succeeded in laying claim to starter's position. Still, Caps have essentially pretended that Anderson doesn't exist.

It seems reasonable to assume that Anderson was showing himself completely incapable of performing at NHL level in practice. However, the few times that he did play he looked fine. He had a very good game yesterday. So what's the deal with all of this?
Doubt it's that he appeared incompetent but rather that they were focused on giving the kids a chance to win the job.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Waiver status for Sam and VV?

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
You can call an emergency player when someone is on COVID list. Hence Anderson came in for Sammy (even though no space) and Carr/Pilon came in for Kuzy. the Cap goes away when playoffs start once we name our long roster there will be lots more flexibility.

For the last game, if the COVID imposed suspension nonsense is over (meaning the caps can activate them quickly), then I’d like to see Kuzy and Sammy both play on Tuesday. Let them play in a most likely meaningless game. JC74 can rest another game. OV and Oshie can rest as well. Backy will likely have to play if he isn’t hurt just because of numbers. If dinged up, we play 11 forwards because Carr/Pilon won’t be available.

but Kuzy and Sammy need to play a game before the playoffs.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Did you watch the preseason games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad