Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Gotta say, except for some ? about the young goalie tandem, the rest of the roster I like a lot going into the playoffs. This roster has depth, just look at Sprong filling in for Ovie and TVR for Schultz, in fact starting to like the TVR/Dillon pairing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
His injuries have been an off-season atv accident, covid, and getting hit in the head by a team mate. What do any of those have to do with explosive athleticism... Or poor mechanics for that matter.

I could have written that better. Varly was explosively athletic. He was coached to not use that so much because of the workload he was going to get. He did it anyway and got hurt. Sammy hasnt had any hockey based injuries to my knowledge except Oshie, I meant to say that Sammy's style of play reminds me of Varly. The style has contributed to Varly's problems. No evidence of that with Sammy so far

Reactions: Calicaps

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
@txpd the only difference is Varly at 19 years of age was a #1 on Loko team that made Russian Superleague (KHL predecessor) Finals and was planned to be a #1 for the Russian National team at the World Championship that year until he got injured (one of the best russian teams in recent memory). Samsonov on the other hand couldn't win the battle for the net from old man Koschechkin and never was really invited to play for the Russians at any serious tournament. Again, the guy has size and a very dynamic style of play but his technical flaws are screaming at you right from the screen.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
@txpd the only difference is Varly at 19 years of age was a #1 on Loko team that made Russian Superleague (KHL predecessor) Finals and was planned to be a #1 for the Russian National team at the World Championship that year until he got injured (one of the best russian teams in recent memory). Samsonov on the other hand couldn't win the battle for the net from old man Koschechkin and never was really invited to play for the Russians at any serious tournament. Again, the guy has size and a very dynamic style of play but his technical flaws are screaming at you right from the screen.
To be fair though — there has been a large uptick in the Russian G pipeline. FAR more quality WTR to depth than ever before. Sammy is part of that.

so where they were at 19 isn’t really indicative of where they will both be at 22, 25, 28. Good or bad

Reactions: Neil Racki

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Re. the playoff goalie discussion. Playoffs will not begin until sometime after May 18, when the last regular season game is now slated to be played. A normal pace for playoff games would mean an end to meaningful games 6 or 7 weeks later than normal - probably late July barring more covid issues. With the league eyeing Oct 12 to begin next season, the summer break would be especially short for players whose teams get into R3 of the playoffs. Is there any chance the playoffs include some BtB games? If it does, would that increase the likelihood that a goalie like VV gets a start or two?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
How was Samsonov's play in Russia compared to that of the other 2 that he will always be compared with in the same time period? Sorokin and Shesterkin?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
It's great to hear that Kempny is getting closer to a return, but does he actually play a game with this team if he's healthy? If so, over who?

Reactions: txpd

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
It's great to hear that Kempny is getting closer to a return, but does he actually play a game with this team if he's healthy? If so, over who?
Prob not. He fits the Siegenthaler 4LD role.

Unless he’s much better than that — and if so, would need to be off handed. He’s not playing over Orlov, Dillon, or Chara. Is he?

Carlson and Schultz seem like locks. So that leaves — Jensen?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
What leagues did they overlap in? Playing at same time?
KHL. They're not that far apart in age but we can just simply compare their careers before leaving Russia and after. Might just compare careers in general too. Shesterkin and Sorokin are much more accomplished goalies while being just 1 year and a couple of months older .

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

He was taking healthy scratches by the end of last season. He hasnt played a game since the bubble. I can imagine him playing if one of the top 3 left defense get dinged in the playoffs, but even then I would prefer Fehervary.

Let him play in Hershey as much as allowed to see if he still has any game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Prob not. He fits the Siegenthaler 4LD role.

Unless he’s much better than that — and if so, would need to be off handed. He’s not playing over Orlov, Dillon, or Chara. Is he?

Carlson and Schultz seem like locks. So that leaves — Jensen?

Jensen is a lock and TVR is a lock for first up as an injury replacement should one of the right go down. Right?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
KHL. They're not that far apart in age but we can just simply compare their careers before leaving Russia and after. Might just compare careers in general too. Shesterkin and Sorokin are much more accomplished goalies while being just 1 year and a couple of months older .
Can you provide what you are saying? Proof in the pudding, as it were

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Can you provide what you are saying? Proof in the pudding, as it were
I mean what exactly you want to see? There's eliteprospects.com, there's khl website, there's sites I don't want to mention cause it would break forum's rules but they have actual games to download and watch. Go in DMs if interested. I mean you can basically tap a couple of times on your keyboard and you have your comparison side by side. Basically, Sorokin and Shesterkin left the KHL as the two best goalies in the nation and second and third best overall behind only Vasilevski. Bob had a terrible last season, Varly was up and down as usual. Khudobin is a career backup who caught lightning in a bottle and had a career year then got sent back down to earth. Nobody really talked about Samsonov as a guy on the level of those two outside of the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad