Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Hard to understand what is happening with these two.

How can they still be on the COVID list? Twice in one year?

It's possible. I'm also doing a little Google research and it appears that re-infections are typically milder and don't last as long as initial infections, though I'm not a doctor and this info should be taken with a grain of salt. Presuming they can clear protocol and get enough negative tests in a row perhaps they could return to action sooner if the symptoms are milder.

If they indeed were re-infected I'd also like to know for sure how they got COVID, though that information might be impossible to discover or might not ever become public. There are plenty of benign, low-risk activities that could have caused a re-infection, rather than just assuming they went to the strip club together or whatever.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Kuzy hasn’t even practiced in 2 weeks, he’s not playing.

NHL players talk about how if they go even 5 days without skating it’s a huge adjustment. If we see 92 it won’t be until game 3 or 4. Accept it and move on.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think his loss is the difference maker. He hasn’t shown me anything since 2018 that makes me believe that roster spot isnt better served elsewhere in the playoffs.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
So, if Kuzy is not available because COVID, the Caps lose and its Kuzy's fault. Right?
If Kuzy did something stupid, which is highly likely, to get out in COVID protocol, then absolutely, it’s his fault.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If Kuzy did something stupid, which is highly likely, to get out in COVID protocol, then absolutely, it’s his fault.

Good. That said I dont think Kuzy is make or break anything. Missing 2018 Kuzy would hurt a lot but this player now isnt that player. Even with that the team survived games without Backstrom, who carries a bigger load. Its up to Eller and Dowd to pick it up. I worry more about Oshie

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
fe333df8eb761f5f889568efc3058086.jpg

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
So, if Kuzy is not available because COVID, the Caps lose and its Kuzy's fault. Right?

I have a hard time seeing his teammates forgiving him for taking himself out of the lineup to go do some personal stuff in violation of covid protocol. The epitome of selfish, and the "what if's" that will follow may be unsurmountable for him to overcome. If he doesn't come back and contribute in a big way these playoffs, I think they've both played their last games in DC. And I would not expect to get anywhere close to full value on the return.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think they can beat Boston without Kuznetsov if everyone else is healthy. Raffl is really underrated and has terrific underlying numbers. He is a big dude who can control the puck and play defense and I don't have any reservations about him centering a shutdown third line between Sheary and Oshie or Wilson. This is actually a really strong lineup with scorers, size, and defense on every line.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Wilson
Mantha-Eller-Sprong
Sheary-Raffl-Oshie
Hagelin-Dowd-Hathaway

The bigger issue is if Oshie can't go as well. Downgrading from Oshie to... Carr? Or moving Pilon to center and Raffl to wing? Much bigger problem than not having Kuznetsov, I think. Also really hurts the PP. The lineup I listed would actually be a stronger defensive lineup than one without Kuznetsov and less prone to matchup deficiencies.

Hot take: who would have thought that the Raffl acquisition was the one that could save the season?

Last edited:

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
I can't even remember the last time we had a full, healthy roster, what an odd season it's been. We're not getting out of the first round without Kuznetsov. I'll happily eat my words if proven otherwise, but I just can't see it happening.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
What does it mean that Oshie and Wilson were part of the optional skate today?

None of this sounds very good.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Left field trade idea: Kuznetsov for Nolan Patrick

It seems like Nolan Patrick has struggled during his time in Philly since he was drafted, due to injuries, several coaches, and less than favorable lines. He has the upside to be a quality 2C, he has size, and he plays a solid two way game, something the Caps like. He also is cheaper than Kuzy. In the end the Caps are probably netting $4-5 million for a player that could evolve to what Kuzy currently is.

Yes, I want Eichel like everyone else, but I think a trade like this is a bit more realistic.

Ok, go off

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Left field trade idea: Kuznetsov for Nolan Patrick

It seems like Nolan Patrick has struggled during his time in Philly since he was drafted, due to injuries, several coaches, and less than favorable lines. He has the upside to be a quality 2C, he has size, and he plays a solid two way game, something the Caps like. He also is cheaper than Kuzy. In the end the Caps are probably netting $4-5 million for a player that could evolve to what Kuzy currently is.

Yes, I want Eichel like everyone else, but I think a trade like this is a bit more realistic.

Ok, go off

This would almost be as bad as the Erat-Forsberg trade.

Reactions: Hivemind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad