Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They don't have a C to send back. We need a C in return if we are about to trade Kuzy.

There is almost no chance that the Caps get back a replacement in the same deal. Much more likely that they trade for picks and prospects and then hit the UFA market with the cap space or make another trade for a player that fits the Caps culture.

Reactions: TheLegendOfPatPeake

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I've long wondered if they could sign Krejci this off-season to a 1-2 year deal to help bridge to McMichael. He'd help maintain decent performance should they trade Kuz.

Cost should be reasonable, but I'm not sure that he a) leaves Boston at all; b) is willing to sign for that short of a term; or c) is actually still good enough.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I've long wondered if they could sign Krejci this off-season to a 1-2 year deal to help bridge to McMichael. He'd help maintain decent performance should they trade Kuz.

Cost should be reasonable, but I'm not sure that he a) leaves Boston at all; b) is willing to sign for that short of a term; or c) is actually still good enough.

A 55% right shot face off guy? Boy, thats a nice fit for a short keep the window open run.

Reactions: Random schmoe

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Trying to think of expansion considerations too, and Minnesota probably needs to move Dumba and need a C. Probably decent value wise with Kuzy for Dumba but we already have Carlson/Schultz and Jensen/TVR on the right side. Probably doesn’t work, unless of course we are banking on losing one of Schultz/Jensen in expansion. They also have a couple of 1sts, could be enough to work with there

I’ve seen a Monahan for Kuzy swap but kinda doubt Kuzy would go to Alberta. Also don’t know a lot about Monahan, he seems to get a lot of flack from the Calgary fanbase

dream scenario is a swap for Barkov if he doesn’t wanna sign in Florida but given their success this year, I bet he wants to stay.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Phillip Danault could be a good target. Really good analytics, good face off guy, good 5v5 producer, PK’s, and really good defensively. Seems like a guy Lavi would like and trust. Turned down a 6yr 30mil offer earlier this year but would likely settle for a very similar offer considering a dip in production this year. Would save almost 3mil from Kuzy.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Phillip Danault could be a good target. Really good analytics, good face off guy, good 5v5 producer, PK’s, and really good defensively. Seems like a guy Lavi would like and trust. Turned down a 6yr 30mil offer earlier this year but would likely settle for a very similar offer considering a dip in production this year. Would save almost 3mil from Kuzy.
I don’t know if we need a more defensively minded center while moving Kuzy out. We have responsible centers today.

We need playmakers which is why i hope the Kuzy thing can be resolved in the room. Kuzy was playing really well before missing team function.

Probably depends on how he approaches the team on this.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
I don’t know if we need a more defensively minded center while moving Kuzy out. We have responsible centers today.

We need playmakers which is why i hope the Kuzy thing can be resolved in the room. Kuzy was playing really well before missing team function.

Also will depend on his playoff performance.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010

Meh. Danault actually has a higher assist rate at 5v5 than Kuznetsov this season and last. He also drives offense big time which is arguably the only thing the team could do better (besides goaltending). Adding a big time play driver and really good defensive center to a team that has elite finishing talent and is already very good defensively seems like a good recipe to me. He obviously isn’t as dynamic as Kuznetsov but man, he would be a hell of match up guy to have in the playoffs too.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Potential destination for Kuznetsov if we go that route.

Columbus with three first round picks this year, they have their own pick plus Tampa Bay and Toronto. But the real return value you get for moving Kuznetsov is the 7.8 million in cap space that you immediately obtain.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Columbus with three first round picks this year, they have their own pick plus Tampa Bay and Toronto. But the real return value you get for moving Kuznetsov is the 7.8 million in cap space that you immediately obtain.
I believe trading Kuznetsov will require to bring back at least half of it in salary, so a roster player, prospect, high pick seems like the package. Not a lot of teams can just absorb a straight $7.8 mil (besides Seattle of course)

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
u are quick to throw kuzy away... the dude had all kind of seasons, he is unpredictable ok but the caps generally dont care about production in the season... even off ice issues (i cant find any solid reports on that matter). if he has another 2018 playoffs, the frustrating no shows in regular season mean very little.

Reactions: tenken00

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Kuz has shown a hardheadedness off the ice that may not be curable. Which means his value is going to decline unless he's producing boxcar stats.

IOW hope he has a good playoffs and sell high.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I believe trading Kuznetsov will require to bring back at least half of it in salary, so a roster player, prospect, high pick seems like the package. Not a lot of teams can just absorb a straight $7.8 mil (besides Seattle of course)
Columbus has some RFAs coming up this summer, but according to CapFriendly they are currently projecting 25 mil cap space for next season prior to addressing all of their RFAs, so I think they might be able to handle Kuzy's salary. The Seattle option is why I think leaving him exposed for the expansion draft might be something to consider. Folks here balk that you are not getting anything of value in return if you do that but I disagree, the valued asset that you'll get in return is the freeing up of 7.8 million to be used elsewhere. We gave up picks to shed Panick's contract.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
u are quick to throw kuzy away... the dude had all kind of seasons, he is unpredictable ok but the caps generally dont care about production in the season... even off ice issues (i cant find any solid reports on that matter). if he has another 2018 playoffs, the frustrating no shows in regular season mean very little.

Depending on what Kuzy did and if the relationship with the team is salvageable, we are so much better off salvaging it.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Hard pass on Danault.

Is Monahan a 1 year stop gap for McMichael?

I'd rather take 2 1sts from Cbus and buy a goaltender with the cap money.

I would take Chinakhov off their hands...

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Is Danault even better than Lars Eller? This is the roster spot that is Ovechkin's 5 on 5 center. Is Danault really the guy you want in that role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad