Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Sometimes I feel like Caps fan treat Kuzy the same way fans around the league treat Wilson. The guy does one thing wrong and instantly people are calling for his head (being traded in 92's case). I might be a bit biased, I've been a huge fan of Kuz's since the WJC when he lit up Canada, but he was really coming into form over the last couple months. The off-ice issues are a bit of a red flag, but when he's on his game he's easily our most talented player. I just think it's way too early to talk about trading him. If he has a disappointing playoffs and a lackluster start to next season, sure, look into what the teams options are. With that being said, the team has to consider what they would realistically get for him at this point, especially if he's slumping.
Who among us hasn’t:

-slowly regressed at work for the last 3 years
-been caught on video with cocaine
-lied about said cocaine
-failed a separate test unrelated to that night regarding cocaine use
-broken team Covid rules
-been late to work on the day of a very important thing
-broke Covid protocols again

I mean first stone, am I right?

People forget the cocaine thing was actually three separate incidents: The video was from 2018 but leaked in 2019. Kuz adamantly denied use, saying he left as soon as it came out and he has no control over those around him. He fails an IOC test in June 2019. He is/was clearly a habitual or recreational user, and personal opinions aside, he made the dumb decision to believe he could skirt IOC drug testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: AussieCapsFan

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
My gut feeling is that Lavi is shutting down Kuzy for the year. I don't think coach is very happy with him.

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
Mmm... I don’t think rotating our top two guys – Vanecek and Anderson – will get us far in the playoffs :sarcasm:

agreed.
In fact, Im not sure doing that would even get us thru the B2B this weekend with the Flyers. They're 'must win' games for home ice according to my early morning math. So... 'something' is going to have to 'give', at least with the Sami situation in the next 48 hours I suppose.

Eirikrautha

Consider me a disciple of the Church of Lavi. Everything from the way the guys played last night has me wowed. Went out and sent a message on the scoreboard, on the fight card, and to teammates.

Lavi just gets it and you can tell this team is bought in.

I shutter to think what yesterday would’ve looked like with Reirden
I woke up this morning the happiest I've been to be a Capitals fan since the day we won the Cup...

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Good Twitter thread on why TVR should be in the lineup, and why IMO Schultz should be the odd one out come postseason if everyone is healthy.

I think the only thing that favors Schultz is that he can man PP2. But I don’t think that really means much because Orlov has also been a good option on the point for PP2.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I remain impressed with our ability to find rock solid contributors and then extend them immediately to cheap deals for 2 years

Connolly, Sprong, TvR, Dowd, Sheary... that's just good roster construction.

Reactions: HecticGlow

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

Good Twitter thread on why TVR should be in the lineup, and why IMO Schultz should be the odd one out come postseason if everyone is healthy.

I think the only thing that favors Schultz is that he can man PP2. But I don’t think that really means much because Orlov has also been a good option on the point for PP2.

The difference between Schultz and Orlov on PP2 is pretty significant, in fairness, and Schultz’s ability to make plays and produce at 5v5 are important too. Jensen finding his game next to Chara, and TVR showing himself well have both been huge for our D, and it’s crazy to think in a few weeks time we could have 8 NHL-calibre D even after trading Siegs and with Fever in Hershey. It’s a good problem to have, for sure.

Also did anyone else notice Dillon getting a shift on the wing yesterday when 6 of the caps forwards were stuck in the penalty box and there were only 5 available to make up two lines? So rare to see three D on the ice at the same time except when one’s just got out the box.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I remain impressed with our ability to find rock solid contributors and then extend them immediately to cheap deals for 2 years

Connolly, Sprong, TvR, Dowd, Sheary... that's just good roster construction.

Most players introduced to working for the Capitals immediately take to it. There is something about the way Ted treats the players and the quality of the facilities and the atmosphere created by a group of veterans who have been together for so long that creates something special. To me just looking at Chara proves the theory. He looks like he is loving it in Washington and is totally engaged. Beyond just being a pro.

The Caps pro scouts have to be excellent as well. Panik was a goof but their mistakes are rare.

Meanwhile, Sheary, Sprong and Dowd all have scored more goals than Kuznetsov

Jun 15, 2007
The other takeaway I had last night was that Mantha was visible. Can’t imagine how useless Vrana would’ve been in a game like that

I thought Mantha had a bad game. He had Carlson in position for a tap in on the PP but made a bad pass.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I thought Mantha had a bad game. He had Carlson in position for a tap in on the PP but made a bad pass.
I’d agree he had a bad game but he was also physically present in that game. Vrana has a bad game and you wouldn’t even notice he was on the ice.

bad games are not created equally, a bad game from Mantha still results in some contributions

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
You look at the Capitals forwards this season and you start to go down the list examining each player and asking whether they took a game or more off or just disappeared and this is what I've come up with:
Consistently gave their all: Wilson, Oshie, 4th line, Sprong, Sheary
For the most part gave their all: Backstrom, Ovechkin, Eller, Panik
Rarely gave their all: Vrana, Kuznetsov

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Schultz would also be a decent pick for Seattle. Runs your powerplay and flip him for a 2nd rounder at the deadline

The problem with Schultz is he only has 1 more year after this one. I doubt seriously that Laviolette choses to healthy scratch Schultz. He is 2nd among defense in scoring while missing many games with injury. He has created production on pp2 that hasnt been there in the past. Lavy wants a 5 man attack and wants points from his defense. TVR has 3 points in 17 games.

If TVR plays, Jensen will watch which I find hard to believe given how comfortable 3 and 33 are together

Jun 15, 2007
I'm still against trading Kuzy even though he's an idiot.

1) We are not going to get good value back

2) A 7.8m he's still not a bad contract. 2018 Kuzy is 11m+ player. 2019-present Kuzy is still worth 7-8m. Peep how much the Flyers paid for Hayes.

3) He seems like a carefree happy go lucky guy. He's just stupid, which I think coaches and teammates tolerate a lot more than a guy who's
malicious or brooding.

Reactions: tenken00

crab

Jan 26, 2019

Completely agree with this. Dillon had looked good with TVR.

From the eye-test Schultz started the season strong but hasn’t been very good since coming back from his injuries.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Mantha hasn't been on the scoresheet but he's creating chances and isn't a liability.
I said in a previous GDT that I see him working on the system. Lavi's coaching him to be in certain spots at certain times and he's clearly thinking about that. I saw a couple of moments last night where he stopped for a split second then went to cover the point for a pinching D or otherwise made a beeline to a spot on the ice that seemed random. It's gotta be interfering somewhat with his natural game, but even still he's creating some chances. Once he gets the system stuff down, I think the points will come back.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
What are the chances the Caps protect Vanecek instead of Samsonov now?
Hard to say but it helps that Vanecek is signed for another year for league minimum, has at least shown the ability to be a professional and start multiple games in a row, and doesn’t break covid protocols or fall off ATVs so I’d protect him over Sammy. I think the 1st round status that Sammy carries is losing its shine anyway, which is probably the primary driver for why most assume he will be protected.

Reactions: 42
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad