Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Tampa can allow themselves to trade 1sts left and right because they actually are capable of picking NHL players in the later rounds and raising young players that they signed for free or traded from other teams in their farm system. You know, something many other teams are struggling with

They haven't really given much away. Still got their 1st's for 22 and 23. I think they "overpaid" for Savard - 3 picks is a lot, but you are right about their ability to make later round picks into good players. They have about 5 forwards in that category.

upload_2021-4-11_19-0-42.png

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
A depth player is going to be really under-whelming. If he swings for the fences and lands a big name (Hall) that's really the only way the TDL is going to be worth getting excited about

Reactions: kicksavedave

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Tampa can allow themselves to trade 1sts left and right because they actually are capable of picking NHL players in the later rounds and raising young players that they signed for free or traded from other teams in their farm system. You know, something many other teams are struggling with

The other interesting facet about Tampa is how rarely they sign major players from FA these days.

Drafted + developedUndrafted + developed Traded forSigned from FA
StamkosJohnsonCernakLuke Schenn
HeadmanGourdeSergachevPat Maroon
KucherovSavardGemel Smith
KillornMcDonagh
Cirelli Rutta
PointGoodrow
PalatColeman
Joseph Mcelhinney
Foote
Vasilevsky
Ross Colton
Mitchell Stephens
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

We have just 9 guys on our roster that we drafted or developed (10 if you include Siegenthaler), and we turn to free agency pretty often to fill key roster spots (Chara, Panik, Hathaway, Dowd (in effect), Sheary, Schultz, TVR). Tampa’s FA finds are all 4th line or depth defensemen. Many of the guys Tampa traded for were young or in their prime, too - Cernak, Sergacehev, Coleman, Goodrow, Rutta - where we trade almost exclusively for vets like Dillon, Hagelin and Jensen. Tampa seem to acquire players based on potential and longevity, where GMBM prioritises proven records and experience. Almost every young player we drafted or developed has had their role replaced by an older acquisition.

Last edited:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The other interesting facet about Tampa is how rarely they sign major players from FA these days.

Drafted
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It's all interconnected. They draft and develop people well so they have no need to spend their cap space on some over the hill "stars" waiting for the payday of their life or bottom six bums on 4 year contracts.

Reactions: HecticGlow

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
It's all interconnected. They draft and develop people well so they have no need to spend their cap space on some over the hill "stars" waiting for the payday of their life or bottom six bums on 4 year contracts.

(Apologies for the late edit - my phone randomly posted it midway through me writing it).

But I completely agree with you. Not only do we never trade for a guy like Cernak, but when we occasionally develop our own one (Siegenthaler and Fehevary) we don’t play them over vets. Tampa pushed guys like Stralman out of the lineup to keep rookie Cernak in. We signed guys like Dillon and kept Fehevary in the AHL. The Caps have made a number of smart acquisitions so I’m not attacking them, but Tampa’s cap management has been far superior and a big part of that was the willingness to play rookies and young guys.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
We are not going to go big. Its dumpster diving or nothing. I hope nothing. Dont see a third liner or borderline 1B goalie swinging our chances anywhere.

Just no clearcut holes to fix with a simple trade. Any move to really update anything will demand tough gymnastics with the cap.

But im guessing BM gets a depth player just because the prices are so low.
Tampa didn’t have a clear cut hole but still wanted to upgrade.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
I think there are some clearcut holes in the lineup. Vrana’s previously held spot in the top six is one at present. I’m not saying he can’t turn into a great player, but I don’t think he’s ready to be what they need to help them win a Cup this season. He is more a liability than an asset in the playoffs at present. I can’t see how he is a different player going into the playoffs this season than the one dimensional liability with zero production he has been these past two playoffs. There just isn’t time to wait any longer.

Panik’s previously held spot, on the thi
I think there are some clearcut holes. Vrana’s previously held spot in the top six looks like a real hole right now. I’m not saying he can’t turn into a great player, but I don’t think he’s ready to be what they need to help them win a Cup this season.

Panik’s previously held spot, on the third line, looks like a hole. The goalie position is a hole- I think they both have a bright future though. Center depth is a hole.

Some of the guys I am interested in include Bernier, Rakell, Laughton, and Glendening. With salary retained plus Panik, Vrana, and Vanacek moved, the Caps could make this happen. I doubt they add more than Bernier plus either Glendening or Laughton though.

I was fine with small tweaks the past couple of seasons after the Cup, but they’ve added Laviolette now and Father Time is unforgiving. This feels like a season they can’t waste. As currently constructed though, I doubt they beat the Islanders in the playoffs.
rd line, looks like a hole. Like Vrana, Sprong is a work in progress. The goalie position is a hole- I like theifuture. Center depth is a hole.

Some of the guys I am interested in include Bernier, Rakell, Laughton, and Glendening, though other options certainly exist. With salary retained plus Panik, Vrana, and Vanacek moved, the Caps could make this happen. I doubt they add more than Bernier plus either Glendening or Laughton though.

I was fine with small tweaks the past couple of seasons after the Cup, but they’ve added Laviolette now and Father Time is unforgiving. This feels like a season they can’t waste. As currently constructed though, I doubt they beat the Islanders in the playoffs. I would certainly hope they make the second round and have a much better showing against them than last season though.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
I’d be surprised at a high price rental. It’s gotta be a core add IMO.

Acquiring a goalie would be something of a slap to the face to Sammy and Vanny....I think we’ll stand pat in net.

Vrana for Rakell would accomplish that on some level. I’m not sure if Anaheim would be interested though.

As for the goalies, Vanacek is an up and down rookie with ok numbers who will be exposed at the expansion draft. Sammy’s had a year from Hell. He’s on the upswing now but, unfortunately, it set him back. I think Sammy is the future and Vanny has a bright future on Seattle or, possibly, Detroit or some other deadline trade partner. Either way, much like the Caps’ Cup window, his time here likely runs short.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
IMO the only glaring hole on this team is the Forwards' unwillingness/inability to play Team D
When this team plays as a 5-man unit, fwds covering for pinching D and actually playing D in the D zone, we're one of the best teams in the league
When there's buy-in we're as good as anyone; when the Vranas/Kuzys/OVs et al slack on D is when we look very average and beatable and the ice is tilted to our end

For Trade Deadline:
If we can get a cheap workhorse like a Foligno (but hopefully w/better speed) or a cheap vet goalie I'd say go for it, otherwise we just need buy-in and performance

Reactions: Calicaps

Jun 15, 2007
I almost wonder if Sammy packs his bags after this season and heads back to the KHL.

I wonder if we could protect V while Samsonov publicly says he is going back to the KHL, then after the draft and hopefully Dillon is picked, he just says "nah im staying lol"

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

So, no Hank. After the Siegenthaler trade I believe they can now afford Bernier, Rittch or Ullmark if that's their objective after 50% retained and Carr back to the taxi squad.

Reactions: Calicaps

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

So, no Hank. After the Siegenthaler trade I believe they can now afford Bernier, Rittch or Ullmark if that's their objective after 50% retained and Carr back to the taxi squad.

Bummer. His health is most important. Would have loved for him to play for us this season. If for some reason the Kraken were to take VV, then Lundqvist could still get a shot backing up next season.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

Hey, at least he'll get some playing time. Good luck!

So this is the guy most of the board had been raving about for a couple of years after the draft how he's gonna be a big piece of their future D core and a replacement for Alzner. Right. Where in the world is Fehervary by the way? Would be interested in the betting line for him going out next year for a similar price.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
So this is the guy most of the board had been raving about for a couple of years after the draft how he's gonna be a big piece of their future D core and a replacement for Alzner. Right. Where in the world is Fehervary by the way? Would be interested in the betting line for him going out next year for a similar price.
I don’t think I have ever seen a single person “rave” about Siegenthaler.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I don’t think I have ever seen a single person “rave” about Siegenthaler.
I don't think you have dug deep enough in memory to recall that. I clearly remember people giving him high praise for smart play in his own zone and ability to make a first pass. You know until he came over and everyone saw him first hand lol.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the hard time has been recovering from ATV/Covid if anything. Culture has to be pretty low on his list of challenges.

Orlov admitted being seperated from his family was dragging him down. Sammy doesnt speak english and needs a translator to communicate with his teammates and trainers. I can imagine that daily life is a real distraction for him. Ov came armed with english and a hunger to learn the North American life. Semin on the other hand never spoke to the media/fans without a translator. Its hard.

Conversely Vitek speaks english comfortably and we see him talking to the media regularly. I am sure his day to day is easier than Samsonov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad