Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by Calicaps, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    Nope. You cant. You are pretty well stuck.

2. HTFN Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    ... but what are you arguing against here? Your other options are to be winning so none of this matters, or be losing and continue to start a goaltender who is giving you visibly weak performances. Aren't you the one who vehemently believes in starting performance over pedigree?

0-2 in a series isn't a guaranteed fail state, and it's the soonest reasonable point to make a goaltending switch (unless you're already getting blown out in Game 2, in which case you can give the switch some reps before Game 3). Going with one goaltender for the whole series just because "tandems don't happen in the playoffs" is a stupid way to accept defeat.

3. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    I think the last time an actual tandem won a cup it was Eddie Johnston and Gerry Cheevers in Boston. The Jose Theodore start the playoffs and be replaced by Varlamov as soon as he sucks didnt work. Even the cup was just 2 games for Grubs and Holtby started all the rest.

They are going to start with Samsonov and Vanecek will only play if they are desperate and going down in flames. I would not be surprised if he doesnt play even then. The most likely scenario for Vanecek to play and they win is Sammy cant handle the 5-10 games in a row and gets hurt. I dont think he has ever done that before. Has he started more then 3 in a row in his career?

What am I arguing against? I dont like giving a guy a job on pedigree. Thats all.

4. HTFN Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yeah, tell me some more things with absolute certainty. It generally works so well for you.

You think that even though switching in '18 won them the series and an eventual Cup, the Capitals will just ride whichever goaltender they start (and you're 100% certain it's going to be Samsonov) all the way to their inevitable flame out? That it has to be desperation instead of a calculated, measured response to two green goaltenders? Once again, you're forecasting something you can't know and slanting it to make the team look like they've already made the wrong decision.

Devil Dancer and artilector like this.
  5. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    I didnt say its the wrong decision. I questions it but we all know that my opinion vs right or wrong is mixed. My impression is that neither goalie is a disaster in the making. That the Caps will win if they play well enough that they dont need the goalie to win the games for them.

kicksavedave likes this.
  6. Ridley Simon Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Finance
    Come on. IF?

They didn’t lose. I could throw dozens of IF’s at this. You wanted VV, I get it. Still might be him. Don’t discredit the G that beat the Isles back to back on the road

artilector likes this.
  7. Ridley Simon Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Finance
    Why?

8. crab Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Fleury/Murray just did it recently.

AussieCapsFan likes this.
  9. Bananas ****

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yeah but their names rhyme...

AussieCapsFan likes this.
  10. um Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    nothing
    that was through injuries, right?

11. artilector Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Re: goalies, here's my 2c:

The reality is that neither VV nor IS have built up anywhere near enough reputation/trust to secure the position in any meaningful way over the other guy. Who will start playoffs is a coin toss depending on how the remaining games will go. But even after that, IMO the leash can't really be any longer than ~2 bad/subpar games (if that) -- you don't know if the young guy will recover mentally under playoff pressure, so at least go to the rested and mentally fresh guy (of very similar ability).

Since Samsonov came back into the rotation on Feb 28, numbers show (assuming I did them correctly) that whenever the Caps coaches switched from one goalie to the other (e.g. after a bad game), they got a cumulative SV% of 0.920 in that first game after the switch (542 of 589 shots saved in 21 such games). Compare this to their overall SV% of 0.913 during the same time period. (Note: I excluded the weird Apr 1 Samsonov "concussion" game, with which the numbers change to .913 and .907 respectively, so ofc lower percentages but same overall story).

This suggests that as a tandem, VV and IS have been pretty good at responding after switches -- in fact clearly better, it seems, than they have been at staying sharp. Also, the Caps' coaches have been pretty good at making these decisions. So why should the Caps worry about using these same quick-yank tactics in playoffs, if it has worked pretty well so far? If anything, one might be tempted to ask the question of whether the Caps could be better off changing these goalies even after good games!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  12. Skrudland2Lomakin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Good news. Ovechkin’s wife posted some videos (presumably from yesterday) of him goofin with his sons and he looks fine. He even did a few mock squats.

max21 and Evgeny Oliker like this.
  13. Evgeny Oliker Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    Any idea what the Ovy injury is? Groin maybe?

will there be an update from Caps today on his status for tomorrow?

14. GoCaps2004 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

Well, now I am concerned that it might be long term.

15. kicksavedave Not be suck again this year?

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    Heh, everyone's a skeptic.

GoCaps2004 likes this.
  16. crab Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yes Murray got injured. It was a 1A/1B tandem though and no way the Penguins beat the Capitals without Fleury standing on his head. Fleury also played the majority of the games.

HecticGlow likes this.
  17. Melkor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He wasn't perfect I agree but I see fundamentals when they are there. With Samsonov they are at nearly rudimentary stage. Vasilevski was much more polished in that regard. I'm not arguing his mental breakdowns, actually mentioned them in the first sentence. It's just his main problem was of that nature and just that. With Samsonov you have a mix of serious issues in terms of skill and his mental fortitude. Watch even his shutout games or the games where he allows 2 or less. The guy is clearly in discomfort in net. Sometimes he looks like he tries to do even more than required, sometimes he is not able to do basic stuff. You can't help but go "dude, if you skated out the net to play the puck then play the damn puck, don't look so scared". With most goalies if they're in the zone then they're in the zone, you can tell tonight they are the real problem for the opposition. With IS you're never sure what you're getting in the end even if the stats tell you he's good.

18. WetHog Out to Lunch

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  19. John Price Sesang

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Kpop Analyst
    Rest him as a precaution

Teams playoff bound anyway. And they put up 6 goals without him Saturday.

Calicaps likes this.
  20. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    You dont do ifs. Fine. You are giving credit to a goalie for a win with 6 goals for a blown 2 goal lead, a soft shorthanded goal against and 21 saves on 24 shots. You want to tag that with the previous shutout and say they were both good games. I see it different.

It wont be Vanecek. In fact, it makes perfect sense to start Samsonov tomorrow. A win really gives the Caps something to hang over the Islanders should they see each other in the playoffs. With 2 games following against the Pens it makes perfect sense to go with Sammy there for the same reason. Vanecek gets a tune up against the Rangers and one of a back to back at the end of the season which will be enough to keep him sharp should he be needed. Thats what logic tells me is coming based on what we have seen.

21. Ovechkins Wodka Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Caps
    I think Ovie wants to go but his injury isnt letting him yet. Glad his still around the team

22. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    MAF played all of the first and second round games after Murray was injured. He gave up 3 goals in the first 2 eastern conference final games. He had a bad game 3 and never played again.

23. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    My experience with skating injuries is that you arent restricted when walking and running. Not sure that video means anything but I can take the good news anyway

24. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    Samsonov reminds me a lot of the Caps version of Varlamov. Explosively athletic and injury prone as a result.

25. Calicaps NFA

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    editor
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.