Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Anyone have any predictions? Who’d you like to see acquired? What they might cost?

Having visions of Foligno playing on our 3rd line.

Yeah, something like that. I think they'll look at all available centers and pick up whichever one they manage to fit in. Bozak is a possibility, so is Glendening.

I also predict that Bernier is a member of the Caps come Monday. I'd wager that Siegenthaler's career as a Cap is over.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
Something like the Brooks Laich trade a few years back but with Panik in place of Laich and Siegenthaler in place of Carrick would be my guess.

Dzingel makes sense as an option to me. Maybe something like Panik, Siegenthaler and a conditional 2nd/3rd for Ryan Dzingel and a 5th.

Reactions: Misery74

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
When haven't we, though? People here were complaining that our defensive logjam was preventing Djoos, Bowey, Lewington and Carrick from making the team... how many of them ended up as NHL regulars?

Then we had the year when Siegenthaler turned up to camp and surprised everyone – now on the taxi squad. Then Fehevary – now in Hershey. Alexeyev hasn't played a minute in the NHL, and my guess is management won't see him as an NHL regular in the next year unless they're 2017-like depleted of warm bodies, which won't be the case.

Drafting, developing and then playing rookies, especially on D, is not this team's MO. Vrana, Vanecek and Samsonov are amongst the only Caps rookies to have made the team as regulars in the last 4 years and remain there today, and on any given night posters here are driving one or more of them out of town. The assumption that Alexeyev, Fehevary or Siegenthaler will play above other D next season is far from certain.

Orlov–Carlson
Siegenthaler–Schultz
Kempny–Jensen
TVR

Alexeyev (first call up from AHL)

That's a very possible 2021 lineup.
I do think AA and Martin are probably a class above many of those guys but you do bring up the old debate of diminishing developing in not allowing players to develop vs. players who are worth it simply rising above regardless.
It obviously depends on the players but there are great examples of some players who regressed in development because they were never allowed to advance to the next level. But I also subscribe to the belief that some guys will always find a way. So who really knows.

Reactions: HecticGlow

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Anyone have any predictions? Who’d you like to see acquired? What they might cost?

I’m predicting very little.

I’d love to see them take a run at Taylor Hall. I think he plays with tempo and is a pretty good forechecker, on top of his great playmaking ability. He’s not a great finisher but I think alongside Backstrom and someone like Oshie/Wilson that would be a fantastic line. I also suspect he’s going to go for less than people imagine in a trade, maybe a first round pick only with no additional blue chip assets.

If they decide on D, I’d like for them to go big for someone really good like Hampus Lindholm. It’d take a big offer (first rounder plus a good prospect like Alexeyev?) so I’m not sure if it’s feasible, but it’s pointless to go after a depth D with Siegenthaler and TVR already being good depth options.

I do not want them to go after a goalie unless it’s dirt cheap. Even then, why get a random number generator when you already have 2 plus potentially Lundqvist if the stars line up in terms of his health?

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

You're either trying to improve the team or stay pat. Stuff like Dzingel/Foligno etc. would be rather head scratching to me. No depth signings please. If there are people in the regular lineup Maclellan doesn't like you better upgrade them if you make any moves. Foligno is washed man, he has a name and that's basically it. He will have no impact for an actual contender.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

I’d love to see them take a run at Taylor Hall. I think he plays with tempo and is a pretty good forechecker, on top of his great playmaking ability. He’s not a great finisher but I think alongside Backstrom and someone like Oshie/Wilson that would be a fantastic line. I also suspect he’s going to go for less than people imagine in a trade, maybe a first round pick only with no additional blue chip assets.

If they decide on D, I’d like for them to go big for someone really good like Hampus Lindholm. It’d take a big offer (first rounder plus a good prospect like Alexeyev?) so I’m not sure if it’s feasible, but it’s pointless to go after a depth D with Siegenthaler and TVR already being good depth options.

I do not want them to go after a goalie unless it’s dirt cheap. Even then, why get a random number generator when you already have 2 plus potentially Lundqvist if the stars line up in terms of his health?

How do you see a Hall trade working in terms of cap space?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I’d do a first round pick + Panik + Siegenthaler for Hall retained for 50% or close to it. I think that would work under the cap.

I’d balk if someone else made a much better offer, but I think the above is reasonable for the Capitals.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Panik out, maybe somebody else from the roster + a 1st. Buffalo wouldn't care I imagine as long as they're getting a high pick. If Hall fits in well and ready to sign a reasonable deal Vrana's becoming even more expendable than he's now. He would be basically packing the moment their season is over

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I’d do a first round pick + Panik + Siegenthaler for Hall retained for 50% or close to it. I think that would work under the cap.

Yeah, that's pretty close cap wise. Sounds good. Might be the best offer Sabres get for Hall.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

I'm not going to lie, I was hoping they would trade him to us after the game.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I do think AA and Martin are probably a class above many of those guys but you do bring up the old debate of diminishing developing in not allowing players to develop vs. players who are worth it simply rising above regardless.
It obviously depends on the players but there are great examples of some players who regressed in development because they were never allowed to advance to the next level. But I also subscribe to the belief that some guys will always find a way. So who really knows.
The guys who find a way usually find it straight to the third line.

I like our team and our organization but this is a flaw in it, as I see it. To be fair, part of it is based entirely on circumstance and it's a good place to be, but still. The last time the Capitals were good at developing young talent to take that "next step" and go from contributor to All-Star, they were bad. They still have half of that crop of players and cater to them, and that's realistically why they can't give Vrana 20+ minutes a night to understand his game.

Playing the game with fewer minutes is hard. There's less flow, the puck is on your stick less by default so your touch has to come almost right away or you'll be fighting uphill all game. It's easier for physical players who just need to skate and hit to "warm up" and get going, but guys like Vrana and Burakovsky have less runway to try the things that they need to try to get in the flow of the game, and misses are magnified. Part of this is just because Ovechkin exists, and he's the alpha winger, but overall I think there's less patience for young players to find their games in the Capitals organization and it's a weak spot.

When they aren't contending for President's Trophies that will probably change. It's weird to say but I almost wish they'd just get injured more like the Penguins, who are forced to trot out various prospects and AHL tweeners on a regular basis and find all sorts of nifty role players as a result.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

I've been fairly against Hall but... I have to be honest, for some reason I never really thought about what he'd look like next to Backstrom. He's definitely a "buy low" candidate considering how bad Buffalo has been at pumping his stats, so... yeah. If they can make it work, swing away. This team needs at least one more even strength creator and it's hard to say if Hall still has it but if he does it's exactly what they need.

I think this would probably qualify as the best team he's ever been on and the playoff hype might catch him really hard, too.

Jun 15, 2007

I’d balk if someone else made a much better offer, but I think the above is reasonable for the Capitals.

It doesn't fit under the cap.

Need to be creative and pay a rich team with cap space to act as a intermediary and retain another 50% on Hall. Like Detroit.

AZ Caps Fan

Sep 8, 2019
High Desert
Hopefully there will be a move that strengthens the third line. If there's no real threat there then kiss it goodbye. Tampa will still be the team to beat though.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It doesn't fit under the cap.

Need to be creative and pay a rich team with cap space to act as a intermediary and retain another 50% on Hall. Like Detroit.

Ah you’re right. For some reason I had Siegenthaler on the roster instead of on the taxi squad.

I like your idea.

Edit: wait he is on the roster. I just had Hall at $7 million instead of $8 million.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

For what it’s worth, I’d rather have put Fehevary and Siegenthaler in the lineup and found a Dillon-esque player later in the season if we’d needed one. Young players need to play, and Siegs in particular isn’t going to improve or reach his potential sitting games out all the time.

But the Caps are in perpetual win-now mode, and I think their general ethos is not to rely on rookies or prospects who haven’t proven themselves yet. Compare Grubauer’s rise and role to that of Samsonov.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Think I’d rather grab Ullmark than Bernier or Ridditch. Outside of Arizona’s injured goaltenders, Ullmark is probably the best and most talented G available, and his cap hit is attractive.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Bernier is the only goalie even worth considering, and that's still not all that attractive. The goalies that are clear cut upgrades over what they have aren't available. Turning a goalie duo into a goalie trio doesn't solve anything.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
For what it’s worth, I’d rather have put Fehevary and Siegenthaler in the lineup and found a Dillon-esque player later in the season if we’d needed one. Young players need to play, and Siegs in particular isn’t going to improve or reach his potential sitting games out all the time.

But the Caps are in perpetual win-now mode, and I think their general ethos is not to rely on rookies or prospects who haven’t proven themselves yet. Compare Grubauer’s rise and role to that of Samsonov.

I think their general ethos is to play the best player at each position where they can in quest of another Cup.

The sad truth is none of our prospects has really gone out and seized a spot in years through their play...therefor if you really want to ice the best roster, you don’t gift development spots until you have to. I’ve been dying to see Fever get a regular spot for 2 years now. Tough roster to crack.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Bernier is the only goalie even worth considering, and that's still not all that attractive. The goalies that are clear cut upgrades over what they have aren't available. Turning a goalie duo into a goalie trio doesn't solve anything.

We don’t have cap space for a goalie trio. If we trade for someone, Sammy is sitting out or Vanecek is getting traded or waived and claimed.

But given Ullmark has 100 NHL starts and a career .912 SV% while on a dire Buffalo team (.916 on the season), why is Bernier’s career .912 (.910 on the season) make him a better (unattractive) option?

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I think their general ethos is to play the best player at each position where they can in quest of another Cup.

The sad truth is none of our prospects has really gone out and seized a spot in years through their play...therefor if you really want to ice the best roster, you don’t gift development spots until you have to. I’ve been dying to see Fever get a regular spot for 2 years now. Tough roster to crack.

I agree with you, although Fever is an interesting one. GMBM and others said publicly last season they expected him to be on the roster, and they liked his training camp. Signing Chara was too good an opportunity to pass up, and it pushed Fever and Siegs out the lineup. I wonder if they would have re-upped Dillon if they’d known Chara would eventually end up a Cap?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So, do the Caps make a move today? Tomorrow? Monday? At all?
Probably not until Monday when the roster limit is gone, although they could just send Carr down. It might depend on how active they want to be. My guess is they wait until Monday and their activity in part hinges on how the market evolves.

You'd think a token depth D addition isn't necessary. Forwards, perhaps a reserve center, more likely. Maybe a curveball goaltender just to add some chaos/competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad