Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Probably not until Monday when the roster limit is gone, although they could just send Carr down.

I thought the roster limit didn’t go until after the trade deadline? So you can’t be over that limit two hours earlier having just traded for someone, because you’d still need to move/waive players off your active roster first.

Not that we have the cap space for anything without a guy going the other way. If you send Carr back to the taxi squad, our 12F/8D/2G leave us with $1,078,456 in (LTIR) cap space, according to CapFriendly.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I agree with you, although Fever is an interesting one. GMBM and others said publicly last season they expected him to be on the roster, and they liked his training camp. Signing Chara was too good an opportunity to pass up, and it pushed Fever and Siegs out the lineup. I wonder if they would have re-upped Dillon if they’d known Chara would eventually end up a Cap?

They probably would have.

Jun 15, 2007
So it looks like Tampa might have just used the Detroit strategy I just mentioned to get Savard from CBJ.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I thought the roster limit didn’t go until after the trade deadline? So you can’t be over that limit two hours earlier having just traded for someone, because you’d still need to move/waive players off your active roster first.
Assuming it hasn't changed it's typically is lifted the day of the trade deadline. Then it's just about cap space.

Driedger is my prediction if they go for a goalie given his cap hit.

Jun 15, 2007
Imo there's no point in acquiring Driedger. Goalies like that have random hot streaks all the time for no reason and there's basically no reason to expect he'll play like that for us.

See Hamburglar. Or even Huet played like a God for us after we got him and we snuck into the playoffs then he went back to sucking for the rest of his short NHL career.

Reactions: twabby

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I wouldn’t be surprised if they stand pat because their cap situation is troublesome unless BMac can get another team to take on salary in a theee way deal or move a player we have that a team probably doesn’t want
He can’t stand pat, so I think finding creative ways around is what he needs to do.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
What they do may depend on how Lavi has assessed the players he's inherited. This is not a squad he built from scratch so there could be guys who are not to his liking. Panik was obviously one. I'm not sure if Vrana is on the list or if he was just getting some tough love with the scratches.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I don't even know what they're supposed to do outside of trading Kuzy for Eichel or a more consistent #2 C, or adding a goaltender.

Depth scoring? lol

They've clearly been fading since the 18' Cup Run and will continue to do so without a shake-up.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Imo there's no point in acquiring Driedger. Goalies like that have random hot streaks all the time for no reason and there's basically no reason to expect he'll play like that for us.

See Hamburglar. Or even Huet played like a God for us after we got him and we snuck into the playoffs then he went back to sucking for the rest of his short NHL career.
Yet it's also one of those obvious hindsight moves they tend to make. They haven't done so in net for some time but I'm reminded of the Halak trade. Halak was a lot more proven but nonetheless I think there's still a desire to upgrade or at least make a statement if possible.

What's the best a second rounder and Panik can net them? They stick out as the most logical pieces to move. Would Florida have interest in a Driedger deal? Q coached Panik in Chicago and their forward depth isn't great. He'd seem to fit what they're building. In part the Caps may go goaltending just because they don't really know what direction to take with the rest. It's sort of a swing for the fences that doesn't rock the boat much. They could use another winger for the third line but I'm not sure any third-line winger does as much or presents as much upside. Not that I'm totally pro goalie add but I can see it.

If they can't move Panik then it comes down to whatever fits into $1.075M or so. Driedger still fits, although I don't entirely know why they'd move him right now even with Knight signing. Glendening could fit with retention for More Grind. Carl Soderberg? Haula? Rieder? Hardly a needle mover in that group so not impossible they do nothing, although upgrading the taxi squad may have value. Not sure the Caps are in the contender class to tweak that small but some of them may be pretty cheap adds.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I think their general ethos is to play the best player at each position where they can in quest of another Cup.

The sad truth is none of our prospects has really gone out and seized a spot in years through their play...therefor if you really want to ice the best roster, you don’t gift development spots until you have to. I’ve been dying to see Fever get a regular spot for 2 years now. Tough roster to crack.

sure doesn't feel like we're playing the best players we have at each position at times.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
It will be interesting but I think Mac has put himself in a corner with some sh*tty contracts that he can’t move unless he is willing to give up a decent prospect. It’ll also be interesting to see how much they believe in this core still.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
We are not going to go big. Its dumpster diving or nothing. I hope nothing. Dont see a third liner or borderline 1B goalie swinging our chances anywhere.

Just no clearcut holes to fix with a simple trade. Any move to really update anything will demand tough gymnastics with the cap.

But im guessing BM gets a depth player just because the prices are so low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad