Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Next man up, Sprong golden opportunity.

I remember when Ovie was suspended after the hit I believe against Campbell in Chicago, next game Perreault scored a hat trick.

Jun 15, 2007
It would be sad if this is how his 30 goal streak ends. A streak that survived lockouts and pandemic shortened seasons.

Reactions: ovikovy817

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We have the perfect posting board subject matter. Samsonov gives up 3 on 24 shots including a 50ft unscreened slap shot for a shorthanded goal that could have derailed them and people are lining up to make him the starter. Would this performance have pushed Vanecek to starter status? No.

Sprong has to outplay Sheary and Raffl to get a jersey. Sheary and Raffl bring different skills to the game.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
We have the perfect posting board subject matter. Samsonov gives up 3 on 24 shots including a 50ft unscreened slap shot for a shorthanded goal that could have derailed them and people are lining up to make him the starter. Would this performance have pushed Vanecek to starter status? No.

Sprong has to outplay Sheary and Raffl to get a jersey. Sheary and Raffl bring different skills to the game.
We will see come game 1 in the playoffs.

the good news is that the team has a player that can come in and make a difference. Be it Sprong, or Raffl.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We will see come game 1 in the playoffs.

the good news is that the team has a player that can come in and make a difference. Be it Sprong, or Raffl.

The Islanders goaltender was so bad last night that I get nothing out of where Sprong and Raffl are concerned. I really get nothing out of it where Samsonov is concerned. That shorthanded goal was really distrurbing to me, but I am sure I am in the minority.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The Islanders goaltender was so bad last night that I get nothing out of where Sprong and Raffl are concerned. I really get nothing out of it where Samsonov is concerned. That shorthanded goal was really distrurbing to me, but I am sure I am in the minority.
Good goalies make bad decisions. I didn’t see most of the game (yet), but I saw all of the 1-0, and I saw 2 dueling goalies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Could have derailed a lesser team, but I think this Caps team is shaping up to be one of the more mentally resilient ones we've seen since.... dare I say it out loud?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Good goalies make bad decisions. I didn’t see most of the game (yet), but I saw all of the 1-0, and I saw 2 dueling goalies.

Not sure what you are saying there. Bad goalies have good games and good goalies have bad games. Young players so flashes of who they can be before being able to deliver it consistently as a rule.

Here is the tying goal in the 2nd period. No excuse for this.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Could have derailed a lesser team, but I think this Caps team is shaping up to be one of the more mentally resilient ones we've seen since.... dare I say it out loud?

The blown multi goal lead is commonplace for them. The shorty against though has hurt them several times.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure what you are saying there. Bad goalies have good games and good goalies have bad games. Young players so flashes of who they can be before being able to deliver it consistently as a rule.

Here is the tying goal in the 2nd period. No excuse for this.

I’m saying that in 2 games vs the Isles, Sammy let in one goal he’d like back. The other 2 were off a scrum where almost everyone lost the puck (and a good backhand shot), and then a home rink hard bounce that resulted in another backhand that was very hard to stop.

I’m not stressed over it.

Eirikrautha

The shorty disturbed me, but apparently for a different reason. The shot was hard, from a long distance, and found exactly the right spot to slip in. Watch the last view of the linked video above. Sammy was way above the crease cutting down the angles and was standing when the shot was taken. He went down into the butterfly and had good stick position. One of his legs just slightly lost contact with the ice, and that happened to be exactly where the puck was headed. Fundamentally, he did everything right, but his form was slightly off in the one place the puck happened to be. That was not an "aimed" shot, exploiting a known weakness. It was not a gross misplay on Sammy's part. It was an unlucky goal, due to a minor error in his technique. That's fixable (or might not even need to be, as a fluke on that particular shot... the goalie coach can work through that).

What is disturbing is the complete lack of support Sammy got from the rest of the team. They made a slow, sloppy line change. Kuzy (I think) made a half-hearted attempt to strip the puck at their blueline, but ended up forcing the Isle to the inside, breaking rule #1 of good defense. Neither of the Caps defensemen stepped up to force the Isle out of the center, either. No one took the player seriously at all. And that's disturbing.

I've been a pretty vocal critic of Sammy this year, and I've expressed my preference for VV on a number of occasions. But that goal was a team goal against, and Sammy had the least culpability for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AussieCapsFan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m saying that in 2 games vs the Isles, Sammy let in one goal he’d like back. The other 2 were off a scrum where almost everyone lost the puck (and a good backhand shot), and then a home rink hard bounce that resulted in another backhand that was very hard to stop.

I’m not stressed over it.

Nope. You are not stressed over it. If the 2 games together counted as a single entity, that would be great. That weak short handed goal to give up a lead often ends up in an L. You know the percentage of games lost with failed 5 on 3s and shorthanded goals against. A shutout win in game 6 and a lost game on a soft goal in game 7 is a tee time.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The shorty disturbed me, but apparently for a different reason. The shot was hard, from a long distance, and found exactly the right spot to slip in. Watch the last view of the linked video above. Sammy was way above the crease cutting down the angles and was standing when the shot was taken. He went down into the butterfly and had good stick position. One of his legs just slightly lost contact with the ice, and that happened to be exactly where the puck was headed. Fundamentally, he did everything right, but his form was slightly off in the one place the puck happened to be. That was not an "aimed" shot, exploiting a known weakness. It was not a gross misplay on Sammy's part. It was an unlucky goal, due to a minor error in his technique. That's fixable (or might not even need to be, as a fluke on that particular shot... the goalie coach can work through that).

What is disturbing is the complete lack of support Sammy got from the rest of the team. They made a slow, sloppy line change. Kuzy (I think) made a half-hearted attempt to strip the puck at their blueline, but ended up forcing the Isle to the inside, breaking rule #1 of good defense. Neither of the Caps defensemen stepped up to force the Isle out of the center, either. No one took the player seriously at all. And that's disturbing.

I've been a pretty vocal critic of Sammy this year, and I've expressed my preference for VV on a number of occasions. But that goal was a team goal against, and Sammy had the least culpability for it.

10000000% disagree. That was a laugher to give a up for an NHL goalie.

Reactions: txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Hockey is a game of mistakes. A good goalie is there to clean up those mistakes. They shoot closer in warmups than where that shot came from. It was a critical game and a one goal lead and a shot from the blue line with no deflections and no screening.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Those goals can’t happen in the postseason.....consistency is a must. Huge question mark IMO with Sammy still.

agree... at this point we have to realize the caps dont have a clear cut #1 in goal for the playoffs. they shared the starts and nobody came up on top, i dont think declaring a #1 goalie now just because the postseason is ahead will do any good to anyone as the performance does not justify it. u dont want to repeat another grubauer/holtby situation and have to roll back ur commitments in game3, now that i mention it... shoutout to holtbeast for saving our asses.

another point: watch kuznetsov on the shorhanded goal, u want to know why the caps give up lots of them... well teams are scouting this... the dude just flat out stopped for a poke check with a 0.01% chance to succeed.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Eirikrautha

Hockey is a game of mistakes. A good goalie is there to clean up those mistakes. They shoot closer in warmups than where that shot came from. It was a critical game and a one goal lead and a shot from the blue line with no deflections and no screening.
Yeah, hockey is a game of mistakes. That's what the team is there for, to help immunize against individual mistakes. To expect Sammy to clean up the mistakes of all of the other players on the ice without making any himself shows a fundamental lack of understanding of this game. Were that the case, no team would ever score. If any of his teammates do the right thing, that shot never happens and that goal never happens. Period.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
agree... at this point we have to realize the caps dont have a clear cut #1 in goal for the playoffs. they shared the starts and nobody came up on top, i dont think declaring a #1 goalie now just because the postseason is ahead will do any good to anyone as the performance does not justify it. u dont want to repeat another grubauer/holtby situation and have to roll back ur commitments in game3, now that i mention it... shoutout to holtbeast for saving our asses.

another point: watch kuznetsov on the shorhanded goal, u want to know why the caps give up lots of them... well teams are scouting this... the dude just flat out stopped for a poke check with a 0.01% chance to succeed.

yep, this.

that Kuzy poke check fail was funny....he spun like a drunken top and immediately bailed for the line change. That said, it shouldn’t have mattered with that 1 in 500 shot going in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad