Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah, hockey is a game of mistakes. That's what the team is there for, to help immunize against individual mistakes. To expect Sammy to clean up the mistakes of all of the other players on the ice without making any himself shows a fundamental lack of understanding of this game. Were that the case, no team would ever score. If any of his teams do the right thing, that shot never happens and that goal never happens. Period.

It was a clown goal for an NHL goalie. If you want to argue against that, feel free.

Eirikrautha

10000000% disagree. That was a laugher to give a up for an NHL goalie.
Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about in this case. Watch the tape, slowly and carefully. Sammy is standing when the shot is taken. He doesn't expect it, and rightly so, since at no point during a PP should the out-numbered opposing player find a completely clear path to the center of your zone to take that shot. Sammy drops into a butterfly, with good stick position and one slight flaw in his technique. The puck finds that hole. Pelech didn't shoot for that hole (it didn't exist at the moment he took the shot).

Have you ever played goalie? On a shot that hard and fast, you don't have time to react to the precise placement of the shot. You drop and cover as much of the net as you can. We've seen Ovie embarrass world-class goalies from not much closer by being able to place his shot in one of the few places not covered by the standard butterfly (due to his precise aim with a shot that hard... which is what makes him such a freak of nature). Pelech didn't aim for that spot... the puck found it. Anywhere else (except right under the bar in the right or left corners... would you feel the same if the puck went there, because according to your standards, you should) and Sammy stops it. Sure, Sammy made a mistake in his technique. He owns that. But that shot should have never happened. Ever. And that's on his teammates. And they bear a larger part of the responsibility for letting that shot happen.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
agree... at this point we have to realize the caps dont have a clear cut #1 in goal for the playoffs. they shared the starts and nobody came up on top, i dont think declaring a #1 goalie now just because the postseason is ahead will do any good to anyone as the performance does not justify it. u dont want to repeat another grubauer/holtby situation and have to roll back ur commitments in game3, now that i mention it... shoutout to holtbeast for saving our asses.

another point: watch kuznetsov on the shorhanded goal, u want to know why the caps give up lots of them... well teams are scouting this... the dude just flat out stopped for a poke check with a 0.01% chance to succeed.

They arent going to alternate goalies come playoffs. They arent going to put these kids out and replace them immediately if they lose a game. They are going to choose one. IMO Vanecek did earn the starting role. His had a 38 save 1 goal against 1-0 lost against the Islanders and a 34sv 1 goal against win against Boston in his 6 starts this month.

Sammy's sv% by start in April. .750, .875, .897, .967, .880, 1.000, .875
VV sv% by start in April. .957, .974, .909, .971, .810, .815

One of them looks better to me than other

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Yeah, hockey is a game of mistakes. That's what the team is there for, to help immunize against individual mistakes. To expect Sammy to clean up the mistakes of all of the other players on the ice without making any himself shows a fundamental lack of understanding of this game. Were that the case, no team would ever score. If any of his teams do the right thing, that shot never happens and that goal never happens. Period.

its not just about this one goal, its the summary of samsonovs season. he had a strong game and follows it up with this. sometimes it even happens between periods. i noticed that a lot of the blown leads this season were with sammy in net... he is scoreboard watching and relaxes with a 3 goal lead in the 3. period or something.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
It was 1 goal over 125 minutes that he should have stopped where the skaters all left Pelech a giant highway to skate down uninterrupted; just as much on the team leaving Sammy in a bad position

Sammy and the team recovered from the SH goal very well and WON where only 2 other teams all season have been able to, that's big

I think a macroscope is better served here over a microscope

It was a clown goal for an NHL goalie. If you want to argue against that, feel free.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It was 1 goal over 125 minutes that he should have stopped where the skaters all left Pelech a giant highway to skate down uninterrupted; just as much on the team leaving Sammy in a bad position

Sammy and the team recovered from the SH goal very well and WON where only 2 other teams all season have been able to, that's big

I think a macroscope is better served here over a microscope

Sammy was in a bad position against a guy shooting from the blue line with no screen? ok

The macroscope would be the .875 sv%?

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
They arent going to alternate goalies come playoffs. They arent going to put these kids out and replace them immediately if they lose a game. They are going to choose one.

i bet against it, they can choose all they want, they will end up starting 2 goalies in the first round regardless. this could change in the later rounds if it comes down to it of course. for example, in samsonovs case it would be probably best to replace him after he wins a game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i bet against it, they can choose all they want, they will end up starting 2 goalies in the first round regardless. this could change in the later rounds if it comes down to it of course. for example, in samsonovs case it would be probably best to replace him after he wins a game.

Replace him after he wins? Likelyhood Lavy does that? Didnt he just say it was time to choose a goalie?

I think if they use 2 goalies in the first round, they will lose it.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
The macroscope, since it looks like you're intent on repeatedly harping on this ONE GOAL is the Caps WON the game (and all 4 pts on the road in NY) while overcoming a SH goal in an enemy's barn where they've only lost 2 in reg. all season

If the seas part and the opposition comes in at full speed center of the ice uninterrupted and can wind up a full slapper the odds on that going in are maxxed out

I blame the team for allowing Pelech in and backing in from the blue more than Sammy for this ONE GOAL

Sammy was in a bad position against a guy shooting from the blue line with no screen? ok

The macroscope would be the .875 sv%?

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about in this case. Watch the tape, slowly and carefully. Sammy is standing when the shot is taken. He doesn't expect it, and rightly so, since at no point during a PP should the out-numbered opposing player find a completely clear path to the center of your zone to take that shot. Sammy drops into a butterfly, with good stick position and one slight flaw in his technique. The puck finds that hole. Pelech didn't shoot for that hole (it didn't exist at the moment he took the shot).

Have you ever played goalie? On a shot that hard and fast, you don't have time to react to the precise placement of the shot. You drop and cover as much of the net as you can. We've seen Ovie embarrass world-class goalies from not much closer by being able to place his shot in one of the few places not covered by the standard butterfly (due to his precise aim with a shot that hard... which is what makes him such a freak of nature). Pelech didn't aim for that spot... the puck found it. Anywhere else (except right under the bar in the right or left corners... would you feel the same if the puck went there, because according to your standards, you should) and Sammy stops it. Sure, Sammy made a mistake in his technique. He owns that. But that shot should have never happened. Ever. And that's on his teammates. And they bear a larger part of the responsibility for letting that shot happen.

You’re wrong but that’s ok.....you believe it’s ok for a goalie to give up an unscreened untipped blue line shot. Noted.

I guarantee to you Sammy and every NHLer wants that one back. Stop trying so hard to make excuses for your favorite.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The macroscope, since it looks like you're intent on repeatedly harping on this ONE GOAL is the Caps WON the game (and all 4 pts on the road in NY) while overcoming a SH goal in an enemy's barn where they've only lost 2 in reg. all season

If the seas part and the opposition comes in at full speed center of the ice uninterrupted and can wind up a full slapper the odds on that going in are maxxed out

I blame the team for allowing Pelech in and backing in from the blue more than Sammy for this ONE GOAL

it’s being overly discussed because of this absurd defense that it wasn’t largely on the goalie. Sure, we can complain about Kuzy being a dummy with his defensive effort and others backing off......truth is it was barely over the blue line, it was unscreened and untouched.

I’m happy it was a great shot, but NHL starters want that one back every time.

Reactions: Corby78

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007

Except this has been the issue with Sammy all season. Technique. Pucks find their way through him because he is not totally closing those holes like he should. Whether it is 5-hole, 7-hole, you name it. He has the quickness and agility to be a quality starter but until he fixes his technique he won’t be reliable.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Except this has been the issue with Sammy all season. Technique. Pucks find their way through him because he is not totally closing those holes like he should. Whether it is 5-hole, 7-hole, you name it. He has the quickness and agility to be a quality starter but until he fixes his technique he won’t be reliable.
That was Vasilevskiy to a T until he figured it out. Every game against him with the Caps was like "oh, is this going to be the night this guy finds out how to be perfect" and then he poops two soft goals through his body and you're just looking at his potential like "that guy better not figure it all out any time soon".

You might as well go down with that ship, honestly.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
That was Vasilevskiy to a T until he figured it out. Every game against him with the Caps was like "oh, is this going to be the night this guy finds out how to be perfect" and then he poops two soft goals through his body and you're just looking at his potential like "that guy better not figure it all out any time soon".

You might as well go down with that ship, honestly.
I am all for giving Sammy a shot and seeing what he can do. I’m just saying let’s not make excuses for him on that goal either. It was bad technique and that’s something he has to improve.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I am all for giving Sammy a shot and seeing what he can do. I’m just saying let’s not make excuses for him on that goal either. It was bad technique and that’s something he has to improve.
Oh I'm not weighing in either way on that, I didn't see it. I just think it's funny how similar they are, and if that's Samsonov's biggest wart (along with basically being too excited and jumpy in the crease) at least the sky's the limit if he can figure it out.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Those goals can’t happen in the postseason.....consistency is a must. Huge question mark IMO with Sammy still.
I'm not so sure about the first part. Holtby gifted Tampa a goal in 2018 and some posters were declaring it a mortal blow. Mistakes happen. Contenders don't panic in those moments and good goalies lock it down after an error. Obviously don't want it to happen on the regular, but shit happens and overcoming adversity is part of winning.

Sorokin let in a softy early and neither he nor his teammates recovered.

Sammy let in a softy that could have turned the tide, but his team rallied and he shut the door. As good a response as one can hope for really.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oh I'm not weighing in either way on that, I didn't see it. I just think it's funny how similar they are, and if that's Samsonov's biggest wart (along with basically being too excited and jumpy in the crease) at least the sky's the limit if he can figure it out.

I thought his biggest wart is relying too much on athleticism instead of technique, but what do I know?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not so sure about the first part. Holtby gifted Tampa a goal in 2018 and some posters were declaring it a mortal blow. Mistakes happen. Contenders don't panic in those moments and good goalies lock it down after an error. Obviously don't want it to happen on the regular, but shit happens and overcoming adversity is part of winning.

Sorokin let in a softie early and neither he nor his teammates recovered.

Sammy let in a softy that could have turned the tide, but his team rallied and he shut the door. As good a response as one can hope for really.

you can spot pick examples where it didn’t matter I’m sure, just as easy as soft goals wrecking a game or series could be presented.

im going with the prevailing logic, that soft goals are bad. Worse in the postseason where a series turns on one goal very often.

for this game, I could give a crap about this goal.....in the playoffs however, we all would.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I thought his biggest wart is relying too much on athleticism instead of technique, but what do I know?
So basically the other thing I said? Okay. Point remains that goalies can take a while but Samsonov is not limited by much more than his technique and approach, so you might as well hitch your wagon to the guy unless the other option is stellar.

Eirikrautha

Stop trying so hard to make excuses for your favorite.

So apparently your reading comprehension rivals your understanding of goaltending. I've stated clearly above, and on multiple occasions elsewhere, that I prefer VV to Sammy. So he's not my "favorite." I'm just trying to be fair. When Sammy screws up royally, I'm usually one of the first to point it out, much less admit it. But this one isn't primarily on him. I think your worry about bias here is IMAX-level projection...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So apparently your reading comprehension rivals your understanding of goaltending. I've stated clearly above, and on multiple occasions elsewhere, that I prefer VV to Sammy. So he's not my "favorite." I'm just trying to be fair. When Sammy screws up royally, I'm usually one of the first to point it out, much less admit it. But this one isn't primarily on him. I think your worry about bias here is IMAX-level projection...

:facepalm:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
you can spot pick examples where it didn’t matter I’m sure, just as easy as soft goals wrecking a game or series could be presented.

im going with the prevailing logic, that soft goals are bad. Worse in the postseason where a series turns on one goal very often.

for this game, I could give a crap about this goal.....in the playoffs however, we all would.
Sure... unless and until said playoff game went the way this game did.

Reactions: Ridley Simon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad