Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
So again, why isn't there an intangibles thread? Why isn't there an eye-test thread? Why isn't there an appeal to authority thread? Those aren't typically my favorite types of arguments, but I'm perfectly willing to either engage with them or ignore them in this thread and am not asking them to be cast off somewhere else.

How do I engage with people who make a claim in this thread that I disagree (or agree) with? Ask them to go to the stats thread (which they may or may not do) and then merge the discussion from that thread back into this thread? It's unnecessarily tedious, when the alternative is to just ask people to either scroll past analytics posts or simply put me or others on ignore.

Something tells me that if the majority of the recent analytics discussion was focused on Zdeno Chara and how he's been really good, or if I was making the argument that Kuznetsov has been bad that we wouldn't be having this discussion about moving it to the stats thread. It's only because the current discussion is about a polarizing figure in Kuznetsov where I'm taking the unpopular side that I'm being asked to go to a different thread.

Sorry, this seems like a bunch of crap and I'd prefer to keep discussing it here.
The other alternative is just to tag your posts but you won't do that either, will you? I'm not interested in scrolling through a full page to watch two of you argue in technicolor. You're not getting picked on because other people would like you to follow a four year old rule, and clearly in that rule it says if you just have a few things to say they can go in your post. Dragging it out is obnoxious.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
RMNB is great at human interest pieces and making the game more fun and accessible for fans (especially new or very casual fans) but they're pretty brutal at the analytics side of the house. They have their narratives and they will jam round-peg numbers into that square-hole thesis all else be damned in order to make the point they want to make. I don't think there's a ton of actual hockey experience be it playing or coaching so they lack context which is why some of their strong opinions on players or situations are head-shakers.

They have me blocked on Instagram because I called them out for being a Capitals tabloid.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
So again, why isn't there an intangibles thread? Why isn't there an eye-test thread? Why isn't there an appeal to authority thread? Those aren't typically my favorite types of arguments, but I'm perfectly willing to either engage with them or ignore them in this thread and am not asking them to be cast off somewhere else.

How do I engage with people who make a claim in this thread that I disagree (or agree) with? Ask them to go to the stats thread (which they may or may not do) and then merge the discussion from that thread back into this thread? It's unnecessarily tedious, when the alternative is to just ask people to either scroll past analytics posts or simply put me or others on ignore.

Something tells me that if the majority of the recent analytics discussion was focused on Zdeno Chara and how he's been really good, or if I was making the argument that Kuznetsov has been bad that we wouldn't be having this discussion about moving it to the stats thread. It's only because the current discussion is about a polarizing figure in Kuznetsov where I'm taking the unpopular side that I'm being asked to go to a different thread.

Sorry, this seems like a bunch of crap and I'd prefer to keep discussing it here.
I've put on my ignore list ~ten 13yo Kuzy haters and useless trolls including one mod and now my experience on these boards is so good. It is night and day. No need to read all these jalous nervous p**ps trolls do then thet hear Kuzy name or someone say something on their foreverhurt God Nicklas Backslow

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I've put on the ignore list ~10 Kuzy haters and useless trolls including one mod and now my experience on these boards is so good. It is night and day. No need to read all these jalous nervous p**ps people do then thet hear Kuzy name or someone say something on their slow God Nicky Backslow
I don't know why I always have to name your hate projects but it's clearly Nicklas Slackstrom, get your shit together.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

@twabby you were happy to participate in the stat thread previously. this victim-complex is misplaced. short stat posts are welcome in this thread, but per our board rules lengthy stat discussions overwhelm other topics and should be moved. we mods hadn't done anything about it to this point because it hadn't been very prevalent recently. but since it now is again in wide use, it's time.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I've put on my ignore list ~ten 13yo Kuzy haters and useless trolls including one mod and now my experience on these boards is so good. It is night and day. No need to read all these jalous nervous p**ps trolls do then thet hear Kuzy name or someone say something on their foreverhurt God Nicklas Backslow
this is almost surely me. which is just fine.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like if you can’t make your case in a decent paragraph or 2, you’re spinning your wheels and wasting everyone’s valuable time.

If the diversionary tactics/whataboutisms were removed, intellectual succinctness would be achieved and appreciated by all.

and FWIW that mod who made the stat rule was a total diiiiick, but he ran a tight ship! ;)

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
All this sheltering talk is a horse BS. Our team is dominant on the ice. How everyone can have lots of defensive starts if the whole team has like only 25% of def starts? Kuznetsov line is dominant. Slow Backstrom and Ellers lines are awful. That is why the 4th line gets alot of def starts.

By the way, smart people start to recognise that Kuzy has the elite defensive skills. I was saying it for years.
Wait, who thinks Kuzy has elite defensive skills?

Reactions: Calicaps

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Can y'all even read?? I specifically said "take it to the stats thread." Wouldn't that seem to suggest that we have one already???

This also was in my post above.

I am not trying to stifle anyone's discussion. We agreed LONG ago that folks who don't want to have to negotiate all this stuff should not have to. It wasn't about me.
Yes, I can read. But nobody uses that thread, and for good reason. Just having a thread to dump stats isn't particularly interesting. If I were inclined to spout stats into a vacuum, I'd run a blog. What IS interesting, is the discussion of players within a wider roster thread, and statistics are part of that. There's no rule on HFBoards banning the posting of statistics, or the discussion of players according to those analytics. I'm sorry that you don't like it, but that's your personal opinion. It's not within your rights, even as a moderator, to shut down legitimate discussion. Sorry that you don't like looking at stats, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yes, I can read. But nobody uses that thread, and for good reason. Just having a thread to dump stats isn't particularly interesting. If I were inclined to spout stats into a vacuum, I'd run a blog. What IS interesting, is the discussion of players within a wider roster thread, and statistics are part of that. There's no rule on HFBoards banning the posting of statistics, or the discussion of players according to those analytics. I'm sorry that you don't like it, but that's your personal opinion. It's not within your rights, even as a moderator, to shut down legitimate discussion. Sorry that you don't like looking at stats, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Actually, you can be sorry all you want but we have a local rule #12, which I did not draft. It arose out of a lengthy discussion among posters on this board. See the pinned thread. I was hoping folks could honor what was a group decision out of courtesy to their fellow posters, but if you insist on not doing so, I am prepared to enforce the rule by moving posts.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The rules of HFBoards are here:
Terms of Service and Rules | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League
There's no rule banning the discussion of statistics in roster thread.

From those rules, which I mostly wrote/edited:

upload_2021-3-16_18-47-50.png

From this forum's local rules, which I also wrote and have been in place for years, and are well within the rights of local mods to modify and enforce:

upload_2021-3-16_18-46-58.png

Now I'm not sure if you have me ignored or if you can read this, but the mods here are not breaking the site or local rules. You all are.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

View attachment 408307

From this forum's local rules, which I also wrote and have been in place for years, and are well within the rights of local mods to modify and enforce:

View attachment 408305

Now I'm not sure if you have me ignored or if you can read this, but the mods here are not breaking the site or local rules. You all are.
Quoted for truth and transparency. ;)

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice

View attachment 408307

View attachment 408305

Most of the people who love hockey do love hockey stats too. This is why NHL do a colossal effort to publish in real time so many different stats. Stats are part of the NHL and are a part of hockey itself. If the only reason the rule exist is to make someone breake it, it is not a rule but a burocratic tool. Any good reason why we cannot bring stats as an argument to any thread? Really. Why so much hate to the NHL effort in promoting hockey stats?

Reactions: dh99

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Most of the people who love hockey do love hockey stats too. This is why NHL do a colossal effort to publish in real time so many different stats. Stats are part of the NHL and are a part of hockey itself. If the only reason the rule exist is to make someone breake it, it is not a rule but a burocratic tool. Any good reason why we cannot bring stats as an argument to any thread? Really. Why so much hate to the NHL effort in promoting hockey stats?

You could read the several explanations, including the rules themselves and the mod note in the OP of the stat thread, that directly refute your hyperbolic complaints and mischaracterizations.

This is not about "hate" for stats so you and the 2 other people who keep saying that can just stop with the nonsense. This issue, and these decisions/discussions, were resolved 4 years ago.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
You absolutely do not know whether "Most of the people who love hockey" also love stats. Many certainly do, but on this forum at least, many also do not. We have a thread for the extended discussions and a rule that we put in place in response to the wishes of the majority of hfcaps posters. So for the purposes of this board, you are objectively wrong.

Last edited:

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
You could read the several explanations, including the rules themselves and the mod note in the OP of the stat thread, that directly refute your hyperbolic complaints and mischaracterizations.

This is not about "hate" for stats so you and the 2 other people who keep saying that can just stop with the nonsense. This issue, and these decisions/discussions, were resolved 4 years ago.
I've read the rules you refet to. They are really well written. But not only the letter but also the spirit of the rules is important. And the spirit here is mediocre without any hyperbole this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille