Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Would you trade Vrana and Panik for UFA Hall?
No. Panik can be dealt with by including a couple of draft picks in separate trade. Vrana for a UFA whoever is not a fair deal by any stretch of imagination. Unles as was mentioned they have a principled agreement on an extension with Hall before trading for him, they shouldn't touch that deal.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
No. Panik can be dealt with by including a couple of draft picks in separate trade. Vrana for a UFA whoever is not a fair deal by any stretch of imagination. Unles as was mentioned they have a principled agreement on an extension with Hall before trading for him, they shouldn't touch that deal.
I don’t disagree. We can’t afford Hall beyond this year. If we were to acquire him, it would only be for one run.

I do think we are going to have to shed salary this offseason. I think Vrana and Panik for Hall is a lot to pay. But we would get it me really good run at a Cup, and use Vrana’s value to help solve some cap issues.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fleury/Murray, Holtby/Grubauer, Allen/Binnington.

Recent trends seem to favor platoon with a veteran acting as a stabilizing force when called upon (in Caps case running away with it).

Vasilevsky was the exception but that was a top 3 goalie in the league behind a team that would have probably carried late stage Holtby to a cup if it had to.

Platoon? Holtby and Grubauer platooned? No. They didnt. Holtby played them all save for the first 2. Allen didnt play 30 mins in the Blues playoff run. Murray started 21 on 2016 playoffs. I dont see a trend of playoff platooning

Reactions: McVechkin

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Why is that a "very bad take?" Laine and Vrana are both under-performing players who are difficult to coach. They don't play defence, they don't play physical. They run hot and cold and end up being benched in an effort to give them a wake up call.
Both are RFA's at the end of the season. Both have played 4 seasons - Laine has 147 goals in 337 games and Vrana has 75 goals in 281 games. The biggest difference is that Laine scored a third of his goals on the PP and Vrana only has 6.

Everything about Vrana screams Laine-lite.

The problem around here is that too many people come up with trade suggestions that they would like to see, without bothering to consider WHY the other team would make the trade....
Saying Columbus wouldn't trade Foligno for Vrana because Vrana is Laine-lite and Torts wouldn't like him is a head-scratching take, to put it lightly. Columbus would drive Foligno to the airport and make sure he got on the plane if Vrana was offered up for him. Foligno is 33 and on a significant downswing. Columbus as a team is depleted of assets because of the trades JK made a few years ago and their recent losses in FA. They're in no man's land; they aren't good enough to compete but aren't terrible enough to suck their way into the lotto and they'll likely need a new coach next season. Vrana is inconsistent but he's significantly more valuable both on the ice and as an asset than Foligno. It's not even close either. And it's exactly the kind of move a team like Columbus would be wise to make. They flip an aging player who will likely be out of the NHL within the next two years for a 25-year old top six forward with 30-goal talent and speed to burn. I honestly don't really understand why this is even a conversation or why you think Columbus wouldn't do this.

To answer your last point, the other team would do this because Vrana is better and younger than Foligno and a much more valuable asset.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Saying Columbus wouldn't trade Foligno for Vrana because Vrana is Laine-lite and Torts wouldn't like him is a head-scratching take, to put it lightly. Columbus would drive Foligno to the airport and make sure he got on the plane if Vrana was offered up for him. Foligno is 33 and on a significant downswing. Columbus as a team is depleted of assets because of the trades JK made a few years ago and their recent losses in FA. They're in no man's land; they aren't good enough to compete but aren't terrible enough to suck their way into the lotto and they'll likely need a new coach next season. Vrana is inconsistent but he's significantly more valuable both on the ice and as an asset than Foligno. It's not even close either. And it's exactly the kind of move a team like Columbus would be wise to make. They flip an aging player who will likely be out of the NHL within the next two years for a 25-year old top six forward with 30-goal talent and speed to burn. I honestly don't really understand why this is even a conversation or why you think Columbus wouldn't do this.

To answer your last point, the other team would do this because Vrana is better and younger than Foligno and a much more valuable asset.

Well you explained it and I appreciate that. It does make more sense now :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad