Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
txpd/gOOn: Having discussion on roster development.

Twabby: Doesn't post stats, but posts three large gifs about math, throwing txpds post into the glass.

txpd: Gets very confused and disoriented, then needs assistance off the thread.

Calicap: After thorough review, it was determined that while at worst Twabby's post was borderline, we had to take into account Twabby's post history and the fact that txpd's thread was harmed. Therefore we are suspending Twabby for 7 days.

Twabby: Does not appeal because he feels there is no point.

Ridley Simon: Voices support for Twabby on HFboards.

Havemind: Blasts Ridley on the next thread for supporting someone who will not change his posting game.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
txpd/gOOn: Having discussion on roster development.

Twabby: Doesn't post stats, but posts three large gifs about math, throwing txpds post into the glass.

txpd: Gets very confused and disoriented, then needs assistance off the thread.

Calicap: After thorough review, it was determined that while at worst Twabby's post was borderline, we had to take into account Twabby's post history and the fact that txpd's thread was harmed. Therefore we are suspending Twabby for 7 days.

Twabby: Does not appeal because he feels there is no point.

Ridley Simon: Voices support for Twabby on HFboards.

Havemind: Blasts Ridley on the next thread for supporting someone who will not change his posting game.

DismalColdIchidna-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: kicksavedave

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just f***ing talk about hockey and stop arguing, for the love of all things holy. Stats are welcome here but posts that could be misconstrued with dissertations on "improving human performance in hockey using machine learning and regressions" can chill in the other thread.

311b832f323ff7c9fdb1160e505152f5.jpg

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Any thoughts on Dustin Brown at like 50% retained? He has had a bit of a resurgence and could be a good buy-low candidate.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Any thoughts on Dustin Brown at like 50% retained? He has had a bit of a resurgence and could be a good buy-low candidate.

No. His cap hit is $5.875M and it lasts another year, and his 13 goals this season are buoyed by an 18.8% shooting percentage while being a career 9.9% shooter. He's not playing better this season, he's just getting luckier.

He's not a bad player, but it's just not a good value for a team that is tight against the cap.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No. His cap hit is $5.875M and it lasts another year, and his 13 goals this season are buoyed by an 18.8% shooting percentage while being a career 9.9% shooter. He's not playing better this season, he's just getting luckier.

He's not a bad player, but it's just not a good value for a team that is tight against the cap.
Dustin Brown to Pittsburgh just feels like something that will happen.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
They just need to get rid of Panik and get either one more player with decent offensive instincts ala Sheary/Sprong or solidify a goaltending position. Otherwise I'd stand pat and hope for the best.

I'm not opposed to getting rid of Panik if a true upgrade is brought in and his salary is needed to move the other way in order to make the cap work, but I think a lot of people's interpretations of Panik's season are being heavily skewed by his team-low 96.4 PDO.

He's actually been very good this year, minus some careless penalties.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I'm not opposed to getting rid of Panik if a true upgrade is brought in and his salary is needed to move the other way in order to make the cap work, but I think a lot of people's interpretations of Panik's season are being heavily skewed by his team-low 96.4 PDO.

Kyle Palmieri seems like the guy.

Would be great to send Panik plus the other way.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

I don't know I just don't see it. For a guy of his size he's pretty soft on the puck, turns it over too often, sometimes gets caught spending too much time thinking what his next move is gonna be and by the time he decides the puck ends up on opponent's stick and going the other way. He got signed here because they thought he would be a good offensive boost for a bottom six after Connolly and all those guys left. He wasn't signed to play PK and look lost the rest of the game. That's a league minimum/tryout agreement level of requirements. He needs to show something that matches his salary and he fails at that.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Ive been trading Panik to the moon as much as the next guy to replace him with whoever, but i think that the focus on that is shifting more towards offseason trade than TDL.

Lavi likes Panik. He is constanty praising his work ethic etc. Lavi’s system has started taking wind and we are rocking. I dont see a reason to mess up with the locker room just now. Especially in these COVID problematic times. I dont see any other 2,5millionish guy that would be guaranteed as a better fit or player just now, its just an unnecessary risk.

Id go what we have. Maybe save the picks for later to get rid of some salary offseason or pribe Seattle into taking Siegs or something.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Ive been trading Panik to the moon as much as the next guy to replace him with whoever, but i think that the focus on that is shifting more towards offseason trade than TDL.

Lavi likes Panik. He is constanty praising his work ethic etc. Lavi’s system has started taking wind and we are rocking. I dont see a reason to mess up with the locker room just now. Especially in these COVID problematic times. I dont see any other 2,5millionish guy that would be guaranteed as a better fit or player just now, its just an unnecessary risk.

Id go what we have. Maybe save the picks for later to get rid of some salary offseason or pribe Seattle into taking Siegs or something.
This works if we talking about the big boys. Ain't nobody gonna notice Panik's absence as far as on-ice performance goes. I'm also having a hard time tryna buy that he's some big presence in the locker room that him getting traded will mess the team's morale. I get that it might be more of an offseason move at this point than the deadline's but not because he's so liked by the staff and they gonna hang onto him whatever it takes. It just going to be very hard to move a contract like that this season when a lot of good players get left unclaimed on waivers.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Are there any rentals even available that cost similar to what Panik does?

I’d be wary on trading for rentals this season just due to covid protocols. I’d rather they make a trade sooner to allow said player to quarantine and learn the system as soon as possible

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
This works if we talking about the big boys. Ain't nobody gonna notice Panik's absence as far as on-ice performance goes. I'm also having a hard time tryna buy that he's some big presence in the locker room that him getting traded will mess the team's morale. I get that it might be more of an offseason move at this point than the deadline's but not because he's so liked by the staff and they gonna hang onto him whatever it takes. It just going to be very hard to move a contract like that this season when a lot of good players get left unclaimed on waivers.

i wasnt saying he is part of the leader group or whatever. Like i said im on board using his caphit better. Just dont think this is the right time for it.

And he isnt some sort of an outcast either, that nobody cares to see go. Laviolette has expressed it few times that he likes what Panik brings for the team. He plays Panik over Sprong and Sheary who both have been more efficient with their ice time.

Every new guy entering and old face leaving changes dynamics on the locker room. Every move needs to have a reason. If there isnt someone who we really believe to make a difference over Panik, then just making a trade to make a trade or just doing something to see if something else happens is a bad move for a team who looks like getting it together.

The grande ole cliche; ”sometimes the best move is the one you dont make”

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I'm kinda alright with the team we have. I don't really see any moves to be made, we got 13 capable forwards, 8 capable dmen, and feeling more confident in our goaltenders as the season goes on.

We'll have to creative at the expansion draft to get rid of a contract to make room for Ovi and Vrana. And call me crazy but Jensen is sneaking into the 3rd protection slot for defensemen.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Have to ask ourselves, why would anyone else trade FOR Panik at this point? Who out there see's his game and salary and says "that's just what we need right now"??? The only reason someone takes him on is as part of a age/salary dump and his age/salary precludes that a little, given he has 2 more years at 2.75.

Reactions: Calicaps

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I think BMac likes Panik too. I think he sees some of himself in Panik actually. I got to watch BMac a bit when he played with the pre-Gretzky, mid-80s LA Kings (you could buy student seats for $5, move down to seats by the glass by the end of this 1st period, and watch Marcel Dionne, Bernie Nicholls, Dave Taylor, absolutely no defense, and putrid goaltending - it was great, as long as you were OK with not winning).

BMac was a big, rugged winger, tough in the corners, good along the boards, relatively responsible defensively (not hard to achieve on those Kings teams though) and a straight line skater who would just as soon collide with you as go around you. He did many little things well, and had more of a scoring touch than you would have thought. Panik may not check every one of those boxes, but he gets a lot of them. He also seems like a guy who took a while to get comfortable with the team, is now, and could maybe start to get on a streak.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Have to ask ourselves, why would anyone else trade FOR Panik at this point? Who out there see's his game and salary and says "that's just what we need right now"??? The only reason someone takes him on is as part of a age/salary dump and his age/salary precludes that a little, given he has 2 more years at 2.75.

Yeah dont see it as someone trading for Panik. If a trade would occur, it would likely be something like 1st+Panik for cap reasons for someone else.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The only flaw I see with the team (other than young goal tending) that I could see tripping us up is the lack of a versatile forward that could play spot or emergency center. We've been playing too many games double shifting our other centers or using Oshie there during the times where just one of our centers go down or is out because of Covid. I guess we could always call up Pinho but with our salary cap as tight as it is, it's always a juggle depending on who's out and how long they are out.

But honestly this is just a really minor nit pick right now.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The only flaw I see with the team (other than young goal tending) that I could see tripping us up is the lack of a versatile forward that could play spot or emergency center. We've been playing too many games double shifting our other centers or using Oshie there during the times where just one of our centers go down or is out because of Covid. I guess we could always call up Pinho but with our salary cap as tight as it is, it's always a juggle depending on who's out and how long they are out.

But honestly this is just a really minor nit pick right now.

I've been ranting about the Caps lack of a #5C for years now. #FireBMac!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad