Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Samsonov on the taxi squad is intriguing - if he’s not ready to backup a game, wouldn’t it make more sense to keep him in Hershey for more conditioning? All I can think is that they’ve identified specific areas he needs to work on, and they want him working with Scott Murray on those before he gets game time?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Ekholm would be an incredible grab, though I wouldn't want them to move Orlov in order to do so. Also not sure how Orlov would fit a Preds rebuild.

Orlov looked good today and I'm confident he's gonna bounce back

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I am glad our team won a Cup after falling short so many times.

That said, I also believe this team/ organisation has woefully under-achieved when you consider they have (arguably) the best goal scorer in the history of the sport, a future Hall of Fame centre in Backstrom, and up until recently, a Vezina winning goaltender who
had (until a couple of seasons ago) the best career playoff save percentage ever.

This team probably should have won 3 Cups over the last dozen seasons.

I was optimistic heading into this shortened season that they would be a contender and had to be in the discussion to win another one.

Not anymore. I just don't think the hunger, drive, passion is there. Maybe it's because they failed to win a Cup so many times that when they finally climbed the mountain in 2018 there was nothing really left to accomplish?

Reactions: TheLegendOfPatPeake

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
How about;

Kuznetsov + Lucas Johansen + something?
For
Ekholm + Rinne @ 50%

And then

Jensen
For
Tyler Johson

Sammy can play this season in AHL, and come as a backup next year.

yea i know its not a rebuild package for NSH, but maybe they wanna give it a try with Kuzy since they havent had a real 1C like, ever. And would then be disappointed in just getting another RyJo/Duchene (1b-2c). But Rinne would fix our lack of veteran goalie, and Ekholm is pretty good with nice contract. LuJo joins his brother for reclamation.

Also TBL propably doesnt trade Johnson now as they can play the season out with Kuch joining them for the playoffs, but maybe if they dont want to risk it next summer they would go for it? Johnson is from somewhere around Washington? He cant be worse 2C than Kuzy currently is.

Last edited:

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
How about;

Kuznetsov + Lucas Johansen + something?
For
Ekholm + Rinne @ 50%

And then

Jensen
For
Tyler Johson

Sammy can play this season in AHL, and come as a backup next year.

If you are going to propose a trade at least make it reasonable for both sides :laugh:

Why would Tampa want give up Johnson for a 3rd pairing D? Jensen isn't any better than the guys they've already got.

Kuzy for Ekholm? We improve our defence but now we have to find a centre. I don't think we should be looking at any trade that involves bringing in another D.
Might as well look to move Kuzy for another centre.

Rinne hasn't been very good this season - and he's 38 years old. I don't think he's the solution we need. I think if our forwards played better the goaltending would be just fine.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
If you are going to propose a trade at least make it reasonable for both sides :laugh:

Why would Tampa want give up Johnson for a 3rd pairing D? Jensen isn't any better than the guys they've already got.

Kuzy for Ekholm? We improve our defence but now we have to find a centre. I don't think we should be looking at any trade that involves bringing in another D.
Might as well look to move Kuzy for another centre.

Rinne hasn't been very good this season - and he's 38 years old. I don't think he's the solution we need. I think if our forwards played better the goaltending would be just fine.

hey, im not trying to be reasonable, im trying to make our team better :)

add in plusses and/or minuses just get stuff done.

Kuzy is just bad for us today. Im a big fan of kuzy the eagle, but this kuzy cant fly no more. I tried to keep hopes up, but just cant anymore. Its not just how bad he plays, its also how he presents himself. Lazy, doesnt care. The comments on covid on other stuff are supposed to be funny, but really they are just ignorant and stupid. Never took responsibility for the cocaine-gate. Never takes any responsibility. And he is dragging others with him. They see him getting away with it.

so let him go. Theres no ”fair return” or a trade where you can fix the 2C in the same movement, so thats why you send him somewhere trying to fix another hole and look to replace the 2C with a separate one.

Preds dont need Rinne, he propably isnt there next year. If Caps like Ekholm, why not. LuJo just for the romantics of uniting with his brother. Its a cool trade!

Tampa tried to give Johnson for free last offseason and nobody took him. They got ”lucky” with Kucherov LTIR. They might want to play the season out and go after another cup with the team they have now, but they must also acknowledge the incoming cap crunch. It might be their best chance to get rid of a ”value contract”. Jensen isnt anything for Tampa obviously, but they save 2,5 mills now, and its a lot easier to trade or bury 2,5 than 5 millions next offseason or this tdl.

Im also fine with keep adding to NSH trade and try Granlund at 2C :)

just tired of kuzy. Outing kuzy doesnt create a hole. That hole already exists.

He is sending out a lot of Mike Ribeiro vibes out there, and as for now he isnt even as effective on ice that Mike atleast was. We need better characters in. We need guys who take responsibility.

I dont really want our young guys like Samsonov growing with learning ways around from core players like Kuzy. Thats a path to creating a losing culture, and fixing that is harder than just rebuilding. So fix it before its too late.

Just look at Edmonton and Buffalo. It doesnt matter how much talent you inject, first you need to have a culture where everyone is responsible and playing for the right reasons. I love what Kekalainen and Torts have done in Columbus. Just imagine if they had the talent pool that we have.

Last edited:
Reactions: AussieCapsFan

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Yep totally agree about Kuznetsov. He does a lot of low percentage plays - mostly passes that don't create scoring opportunities or end up on the stick of the other team.
I think he won his Cup and that's good enough for him. He did it in his contract year - $62.4 million for 8 years. Now he's just laughing all the way to the bank.
I was prepared to give him a chance because he missed those games on covid ban - but he has been useless in his return.

Tampa are having some struggles but it's still early and they seem to be slow starters. I don't think they're going to win back to back Cups, but they probably have a better chance than most.

Granlund would be the most interesting of Nashville's centers, and I'd rather him than Duchene or Johansen.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Columbus has won one playoff series in their franchise history. Let’s not model anything after them.

For playoff success we have one cup to show off, other than that i wouldnt jump on the high horse.

Last few years CBJ has been a constant overachiever, and we have been a constant underachiever.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
For playoff success we have one cup to show off, other than that i wouldnt jump on the high horse.

Last few years CBJ has been a constant overachiever, and we have been a constant underachiever.

Yet this "underachiever" roster has still finished ahead of Columbus in 15 of the 19 years that Columbus has existed, including every single one of the "past few years."

Columbus has done reasonably well for a low resource team, but that doesn't make them a model for the Capitals (who are decidedly not a low resource team). The Capitals goal isn't merely respectability, as Columbus' is. We don't have to "just imagine" if Columbus had a talent pool, they had players like Panarin and Dubois in their fold, and they couldn't wait to leave.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Yet this "underachiever" roster has still finished ahead of Columbus in 15 of the 19 years that Columbus has existed, including every single one of the "past few years."

Columbus has done reasonably well for a low resource team, but that doesn't make them a model for the Capitals (who are decidedly not a low resource team). The Capitals goal isn't merely respectability, as Columbus' is. We don't have to "just imagine" if Columbus had a talent pool, they had players like Panarin and Dubois in their fold, and they couldn't wait to leave.

Well exactly. They have build a team that can success with low resources. So because we dont have low resources we should just point a finger at them and laugh?

they have had couple guys going in and out. They never had close the talent pool weve had the luxury to have.

im not saying we should do exactly what cbj has done, but i like what they have done with their resources and i think there definately are parts in their respective culture that we could benefit of, and have more success with the high resources we have.

But sure, bruh, low market team lol.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Well exactly. They have build a team that can success with low resources. So because we dont have low resources we should just point a finger at them and laugh?

they have had couple guys going in and out. They never had close the talent pool weve had the luxury to have.

im not saying we should do exactly what cbj has done, but i like what they have done with their resources and i think there definately are parts in their respective culture that we could benefit of, and have more success with the high resources we have.

But sure, bruh, low market team lol.
Using a team that hasn’t even come close to the level of success and doesn’t even aim for the goal the Capitals have as the model to follow for the Capitals is nothing short of asinine. Using one of the least successful franchises in all of North American pro sports as the model to follow is nothing short of asinine. Using a franchise that’s driven off what little star power they could acquire is nothing short of asinine.

The Capitals star power is all home grown. They didn’t just buy a championship roster in free agency like the Yankees of years past. Columbus isn’t just an unattractive destination because they can’t pay, they’re also a team where the home grown stars ask to be traded away. They’re a team that guys like Panarin don’t even entertain the notion of re-signing with. And you want to model our franchise after them?

You’ve constructed an underdog narrative for CBJ and you’re letting that blind you to the fact that Washington is a superior franchise in every single way to Columbus. Washington drafts better. Washington develops prospects better. Washington is a more attractive free agent destination. And most importantly, Washington wins more on the ice.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Using a team that hasn’t even come close to the level of success and doesn’t even aim for the goal the Capitals have as the model to follow for the Capitals is nothing short of asinine. Using one of the least successful franchises in all of North American pro sports as the model to follow is nothing short of asinine. Using a franchise that’s driven off what little star power they could acquire is nothing short of asinine.

The Capitals star power is all home grown. They didn’t just buy a championship roster in free agency like the Yankees of years past. Columbus isn’t just an unattractive destination because they can’t pay, they’re also a team where the home grown stars ask to be traded away. They’re a team that guys like Panarin don’t even entertain the notion of re-signing with. And you want to model our franchise after them?

hfboarss are fun. So you ignore the idea and pick one line from my long post, make your own agenda out of it and bomb away.

did i say we should model our franchise by Blue Jackets? Saying i like what they are doing now, and what they are aiming for, is not saying we should take the playbook from 2013 Blue Jackets.

its not also fair to compare our talentpool with theirs. We did luck our hands on Ovie and Backs by sucking bad for a long time, and weve had over 20 years of practising more than them.

What i said, again, is that i like how and where they have been taking their culture lately. Again, i did not say that CBJ model is the total receipt for success and we should copy them to the letter.

what you are really arguing about is that i asked for characters and culture that takes responsibility. You disagree with that?

Last edited:
Reactions: max21

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Returning to goaltending, in Tarik’s Athletic piece on VV was this intriguing comment from Scott Murray:

Has Vanecek been great? No, he hasn’t. Per Sportlogiq’s stats, he ranks near the bottom of the league in terms of rebounds and allowing pucks to squeeze past under the blocker and glove. There have also been a couple of adventures handling the puck and few shots he’d probably like to see again. He’s yielded three or more goals in 10 of his 14 starts while playing behind a defense that hasn’t been consistent.

Rebounds are something that, because of his gear, they’ll pop out a little bit more,” Murray said. “If he can’t get it with his hands, they’re going to jump off the Bauer pads — that’s just the way it is. But it’s an area that when pucks are in his glove and in his body, he wants to continually try to eat and keep because he knows that he’s going to get enough shots in his career that he doesn’t want to get free ones out.”

Maybe I’m being dumb, but is Murray blaming the rebound issues on the use of Bauer equipment? And if that’s the reason, what’s up with that? Is VV not used to playing with Bauer and the team’s got a deal with them? What am I missing here?

Edit: Samsonov appears to use CCM, judging by Google Images. So what would be the reason for VV to continue using Bauer pads if they’re making his rebound control more difficult?

Last edited:
Reactions: max21

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I think you should be choosing Carolina as the "comparison" team...as much as I hate them, my God do they have the depth in every position......

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
If Nashville decides to rebuild there's no incentive for them to trade Ekholm for Orlov. Those two basically of the same age and Orlov's got a heavier cap hit and a longer term. They would ask for their 1st rounders or recent 1rd picks+some cap dump to make the cap work. Also, Rinne is washed up. Like washed up bad. Nobody really needs to trade for him unless they're tanking.

Re: Eichel proposal. Take Lapierre out of it and I'm signing.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Returning to goaltending, in Tarik’s Athletic piece on VV was this intriguing comment from Scott Murray:

Maybe I’m being dumb, but is Murray blaming the rebound issues on the use of Bauer equipment? And if that’s the reason, what’s up with that? Is VV not used to playing with Bauer and the team’s got a deal with them? What am I missing here?

Edit: Samsonov appears to use CCM, judging by Google Images. So what would be the reason for VV to continue using Bauer pads if they’re making his rebound control more difficult?

Vanecek doesn't have time during this season to break-in and try new equipment from a different manufacturer, as the scheduling is different from a long 82 game season. That is something during the off-season for him to look into, if needed. Each manufacturers leg pads due in fact give a different kind of rebound off the pad because the inside materials and design of the leg pads are different. With that being said, I don't think Murray should be saying that to any reporter if he wants to be a good goalie coach. A goalie coach might recommend an equipment brand to a goalie, because it does so and so, but it's ultimately up to goalie what brand they prefer. Back to Murray. As a goalie coach he should be able to teach Vanecek to adjust his technique a bit to compensate for the Bauer leg pads giving big rebounds. It sounds like an excuse and to defer blame on Vanecek's technique and Murray's coaching!

I have been watching Vanecek closely(as I do with all the NHL goalies), and he's still generally giving up bad rebounds on specific shots that he should be trapping into his body, deflecting out of harms way or catching with his glove. And it's not so much because of the Bauer equipment! All the goalie leg pads used by NHL goalies(Bauer, Vaughn, Brian's, CCM and True/Lefevre) kick out rebounds because of the new age inner foam padding. He's actually making it more challenging for the team in front of him to defend their own end with both his lack of rebound control and puck handling skills. I might add that Vanecek has been using Bauer as his equipment even when he was playing for the Hershey Bears. He's stayed with Bauer because he's probably most comfortable with the fit over the other brands.

Good goalies don't use their equipment as an excuse and neither should an NHL goalie coach do the same! After you pointing out this part of the article, it makes me dislike Scott Murray even more as the Caps goalie coach.

Last edited:

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Yep totally agree about Kuznetsov. He does a lot of low percentage plays - mostly passes that don't create scoring opportunities or end up on the stick of the other team.
I think he won his Cup and that's good enough for him. He did it in his contract year - $62.4 million for 8 years. Now he's just laughing all the way to the bank.
I was prepared to give him a chance because he missed those games on covid ban - but he has been useless in his return.

Tampa are having some struggles but it's still early and they seem to be slow starters. I don't think they're going to win back to back Cups, but they probably have a better chance than most.

Granlund would be the most interesting of Nashville's centers, and I'd rather him than Duchene or Johansen.
I would do a change of scenery trade with Nashville, or any team at this point with Kuznetsov.

There are teams like Anaheim, that don’t score at all. Wonder what they would give up for Kuznetsov?

Jun 15, 2007
Are people really gonna be okay with it if Ovechkin gets a 5x11m contract?

Don't get me wrong, he deserves it for what he means to the team. And if there were no cap, I wouldn't care if he was making 100 million a year.

But seeing how bad this team is now and just imagining how bad it will be with a 5x11m Ovechkin contract, it's not a playoff team.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I would do a change of scenery trade with Nashville, or any team at this point with Kuznetsov.

There are teams like Anaheim, that don’t score at all. Wonder what they would give up for Kuznetsov?
Well Kuznetsov doesn’t really score either, but we will take Gibson

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Vanecek doesn't have time during this season to break-in and try new equipment from a different manufacturer, as the scheduling is different from a long 82 game season. That is something during the off-season for him to look into, if needed. Each manufacturers leg pads due in fact give a different kind of rebound off the pad because the inside materials and design of the leg pads are different. With that being said, I don't think Murray should be saying that to any reporter if he wants to be a good goalie coach. A goalie coach might recommend an equipment brand to a goalie, because it does so and so, but it's ultimately up to goalie what brand they prefer. Back to Murray. As a goalie coach he should be able to teach Vanecek to adjust his technique a bit to compensate for the Bauer leg pads giving big rebounds. It sounds like an excuse and to defer blame on Vanecek's technique and Murray's coaching!

I have been watching Vanecek closely(as I do with all the NHL goalies), and he's still generally giving up bad rebounds on specific shots that he should be trapping into his body, deflecting out of harms way or catching with his glove. And it's not so much because of the Bauer equipment! All the goalie leg pads used by NHL goalies(Bauer, Vaughn, Brian's, CCM and True/Lefevre) kick out rebounds because of the new age inner foam padding. He's actually making it more challenging for the team in front of him to defend their own end with both his lack of rebound control and puck handling skills. I might add that Vanecek has been using Bauer as his equipment even when he was playing for the Hershey Bears. He's stayed with Bauer because he's probably most comfortable with the fit over the other brands.

Good goalies don't use their equipment as an excuse and neither should an NHL goalie coach do the same! After you pointing out this part of the article, it makes me dislike Scott Murray even more as the Caps goalie coach.

Did Scott Murray crap on you or one of yours in a jr. goalie camp? Lol...Really starting to wonder with you lol...

Vanny is what he is...a good AHL goalie playing up, but whatever.

I don’t particularly care about any coach, but the theme of blaming player failures on coach after coach after coach, be it HC, assistant, position coach whatever...has been a consistent thing in the Ovechkin era.

I guess it SM’s turn in the season we have our worst tandem in the past 10 years...

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Are people really gonna be okay with it if Ovechkin gets a 5x11m contract?

Don't get me wrong, he deserves it for what he means to the team. And if there were no cap, I wouldn't care if he was making 100 million a year.

But seeing how bad this team is now and just imagining how bad it will be with a 5x11m Ovechkin contract, it's not a playoff team.

not really, but what can you do? Not sign him? We’ll see what the number is...his goal scoring slide may be here...so prices drop.

Reactions: Misery74

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I’ll entertain the doom and gloom when it’s time to doom and gloom. As it stands this is one of the better constructed rosters in the NHL this year and the team is certainly capable of making a deep run if they play like able to. They’re also capable of missing the playoffs or getting bounced early, so who knows.

This year was always going to be tough as there are five teams who have been playoff regulars recently along with two young and improving teams in the Rangers and Devils competing for four playoff spots. It’s the toughest division in the NHL and it’s not particularly close. And to add to that, they’ve faced a ton of adversity and roster absences but are still holding down a playoff spot. We shall see.

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad