Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Most likely, soon as McMichael is ready is when you move Kuzy. Unless you get a deal that blows you away.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Kuzy is the one player that really makes sense to move. 7.8M is a lot for us. But as a legit 2C (and maybe a 1C) that contract isn’t bad. We’ll get a decent return, But he is also addition by subtraction. it will shake things up. I think we can move Orlov as well. He has a friendly contract for top 4 dee is in his prime and plays well. But we have lots of left dee that can come up. Changes the culture a bit without completely signaling a rebuild. Oh, and you definitely protect Oshie at this point. He is well worth his $5.75M.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'd rather the team suck ass than see Ovechkin in another NHL team's jersey.
This. The Caps as we know them... perennial contenders, underachieving or no; 2018 Stanley Cup Champions; respected organization; heroes to kids around the world... simply don't exist absent #8. He will retire a Cap cost be damned and with any luck he'll have 900 goals when he does it.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Lets be reality. Ovechkin retires with 800+ goals being #2 in history. But not with 895+.

All while getting paid 10M+ from Caps.

Just deal with it.

Reactions: artilector

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
This. The Caps as we know them... perennial contenders, underachieving or no; 2018 Stanley Cup Champions; respected organization; heroes to kids around the world... simply don't exist absent #8. He will retire a Cap cost be damned and with any luck he'll have 900 goals when he does it.

This, and the post that you said "this" too. Sometimes people seems to forget that instead of Ovi, we could have had Malkin, Eric Johnson, or someone else who isn't in the short conversation for "greatest ever". We could have had Ovi for 4 or 6 or 8 seasons then watch him go join a rival like Tavares did. Some of us had suffered through all 44 years of the Caps being choking dogs until Ovi helped deliver a Cup that washed away four decades of frustration. I'll deal with a few extra years of rebuilding if it means he retires on his terms and gets as close to Gretzky as possible.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
You don't argue with Ovechkin. You plead, beg, offer your first born and then agree to whatever the hell he wants.

Reactions: Calicaps

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It's about as close to a 100% lock or a statistical certainty or whatever you want to call it as you can get that he is far and away the best player who will ever play for Washington and very likely there will never be even a close second, third, or fourth... and people are actually sweating the details of his next contract. Can pretty easily tell who became a Caps fan -- and probably a hockey fan, at that -- during the Ovi era since it seems clear, to me at least, that they don't understand how impossibly rare it is to have a guy like Ovechkin on your team and on top of that, to have him want to stay on your team his entire career and to be able to enjoy the longevity of the career he's had.

The actual dream of being a sports fan is to get to watch a once-in-a-lifetime talent get drafted by your favorite team, rewrite the record books, go down as one of the all-time greats to ever play the sport, deliver your city a championship, and retire having only played for one team and people actually think that trying to use his cap hit for any reason other than to make sure he retires a Cap is an idea they should entertain. Give your heads a shake.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Guess who this is without cheating:

upload_2021-2-22_9-14-29.png

Reactions: Hivemind

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Guess who this is without cheating:

View attachment 399133

Jensen. Final answer.

It's a guy on the right side, and judging from shot suppression on defense (with vs without) from that spot and shot creation (Jensen takes a LOT of shots himself this year), it has to be him.

Edit: Of course I probably am totally wrong like always lol

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
Ovi himself said the only NHL team he will ever play for is the Caps.

If he does not like Caps contract offers I think it is far more likely he plays 21/22 for KHL Dynamo Moscow than any NHL team other than Caps.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
It's not Carlson, that's for damn sure.

Kuznetsov? The Eller line is probably not far off. The whole Eller/Panik/Sheary combo doesn't spend a lot of time in the D zone.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It is indeed Kuznetsov.

I think there is some context missing but it's tough for me to say he's been a problem when these are his results.

He's been on the ice for one (1) 5v5 goal against all season. Certainly some good fortune, but he's also had some strong underlying play despite sometimes looking off. At some point style points don't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad