Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
It is indeed Kuznetsov.

I think there is some context missing but it's tough for me to say he's been a problem when these are his results.

He's been on the ice for one (1) 5v5 goal against all season. Certainly some good fortune, but he's also had some strong underlying play despite sometimes looking off. At some point style points don't matter.

Some posters here just hate Kuz even when hes leading the playoffs in points...

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It is indeed Kuznetsov.

I think there is some context missing but it's tough for me to say he's been a problem when these are his results.

He's been on the ice for one (1) 5v5 goal against all season. Certainly some good fortune, but he's also had some strong underlying play despite sometimes looking off. At some point style points don't matter.
He's not played all that many games either so.... But setting that aside, Kuzy's job is to generate actual points on the scoreboard. Not attempts. Not shots. Not high-danger chances. Points. He's done precious little of that, at least relative to what we all know he's capable of. Now I'm willing to give him a bit of time, given his COVID recovery and lack of experience with Lavi's system, but our top 6 have played together a long time, so linemates ain't the issue. He needs to produce. Consistently. He needs to dominate opponents. He needs to evidence some give-a-shit.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
It is indeed Kuznetsov.

Advanced stats also tell me that Backstrom has been awful. What am I to do with that?

One thing that I'll say about our new system is that Caps now have two modes. We are either playing in the offensive zone or we are getting scored on. Kuznetsov is our best player at getting out of the D-zone in a hurry and under control.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
He's not played all that many games either so.... But setting that aside, Kuzy's job is to generate actual points on the scoreboard. Not attempts. Not shots. Not high-danger chances. Points. He's done precious little of that, at least relative to what we all know he's capable of. Now I'm willing to give him a bit of time, given his COVID recovery and lack of experience with Lavi's system, but our top 6 have played together a long time, so linemates ain't the issue. He needs to produce. Consistently. He needs to dominate opponents. He needs to evidence some give-a-shit.

He leads the team in 5v5 goal differential, both in raw totals and on a per 60 basis. He's 4th in the NHL in goals against/60.

The charts above show that he is dominating his opponents.

Ultimately his job is to help the team win. The evidence thus far seems to indicate that he is doing just that.

Reactions: Hivemind

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He leads the team in 5v5 goal differential, both in raw totals and on a per 60 basis. He's 4th in the NHL in goals against/60.

The charts above show that he is dominating his opponents.

Ultimately his job is to help the team win. The evidence thus far seems to indicate that he is doing just that.
What are the shooting and save percentages with him on the ice? And how is he being deployed and against what kind of competition? Actual questions, not trying to be contrarian. My eyes are telling me that he does not drive play and loses the puck easily when it's in the offense zone, and that positive results with him on the ice may be in spite of and not due to him. And the compete level with him and Vrana is non-existent. For being as immensely talented and strong on their skates as they are, their play when the puck is along the boards seems almost impossibly bad.

A positive GD could mean a ton of things, including getting bailed out by goaltending on his side or poor opposing goaltending, or getting choice matchups either in terms of quality of competition or situationally, or both. Or a very small sample size given he's only played in half of their games.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Advanced stats also tell me that Backstrom has been awful. What am I to do with that?

I'd at least entertain the idea that he hasn't actually been great at 5v5 thus far, even if he looks a bit faster and the points have been there.

He's still been excellent on the power play though.

Reactions: Rayquaza64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad