Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
By the time TJ is exposed, it's four years @ 5.75, not exactly an awful contract and he's probably still good for 20 goals barring injury. H should have trade value as well. Why expose him for free? He has value. I just don't see the logic at all. Keep him and if we really need to ditch his contract, trade him for assets.
by the time the draft comes, it will be paying a 35 year old winger almost 6 mil until age 39. I don't think we will be able to get much for at maximum 2 years of TJ Oshie, and we can find better alternatives in the long run with that 5.75 mil.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I can guarantee you Oshie is replacable. There are options in FA that could match his production and wouldn't be as detrimental to the cap in the long term, or if big enough strides are made we could replace him with people we already have in the organization (McMichael, Sprong, etc.)

Guarantee? Ok. Replacing him with Sprong is just an insult though. Geez

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
When looking at the expansion draft, we might remember that Oshie isn't the only player on the Caps with Seattle ties. Brenden Dillon played his junior career for the Seattle Thunderbirds in the WHL, so a bit more direct connection than Oshie just growing up near there. It's entirely plausible to me that Mac signed him to be a stopgap for this year, let Siegenthaler, Fehervary, and Alexeyev marinate/develop without needing to rush them into higher roles; then come expansion draft, expose Dillon to Seattle, have them take the last 3 years of the contract, and free up that cap space and role availability for the young guys. If they don't take him, it isn't like playing out that contract is that big of a burden either.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
@Raikkonen just to reply to your petulent message on the game thread, reminder - THERE'S AN EXPANSION DRAFT COMING.

Keeping Samsonov and Vanecek is going to be very difficult, so one option on the table is to trade a goalie away, and if VV continues playing really well then it's going to be interesting to see who gets protected.

No one's saying trade Samsonov now, but at the end of the year the Caps will probably have to make a decision who they want to give to Seattle, this is a fan forum, fans are talking about what could go down. [mod]
Everyone assued GMGM would take Grubby, They will have 30 goalies to pick for 2 spots and MAF will be exposed im almost certain

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I agree with this.

Expose him. If they take him, sucks, but we get out of 5.75 mil for a 35-38 year old. If they don't, that's fine because he's still a great player, and hopefully we can get 1-2 more of that after this season.
I keep coming back to this. Expose TJ (which wouldn’t be smart, but I digress), to protect whole else.....exactly? Hathaway? Panik? Hagelin? Dowd?

there is no one else left to protect?? So expose him “just because we want out of the contract?”

yeah, big NO from me dawg. And not something I could see GMBM getting behind either

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
When looking at the expansion draft, we might remember that Oshie isn't the only player on the Caps with Seattle ties. Brenden Dillon played his junior career for the Seattle Thunderbirds in the WHL, so a bit more direct connection than Oshie just growing up near there. It's entirely plausible to me that Mac signed him to be a stopgap for this year, let Siegenthaler, Fehervary, and Alexeyev marinate/develop without needing to rush them into higher roles; then come expansion draft, expose Dillon to Seattle, have them take the last 3 years of the contract, and free up that cap space and role availability for the young guys. If they don't take him, it isn't like playing out that contract is that big of a burden either.

I totally forgot that Dillon has ties to the Seattle area too. And I do remember that he had some social media posts stating how cool the new Kraken jerseys were when they came out and I think if I remember right, that it would be cool to play for them. But this was before he signed his new contract here.

Last edited:

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I keep coming back to this. Expose TJ (which wouldn’t be smart, but I digress), to protect whole else.....exactly? Hathaway? Panik? Hagelin? Dowd?

there is no one else left to protect?? So expose him “just because we want out of the contract?”

yeah, big NO from me dawg. And not something I could see GMBM getting behind either
you send oshie to dump his contract and to not have to gift the kraken a starting goaltender for free.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Does anyone know if the Covidiots have been testing negative and will be able to rejoin the team for Saturday? I know they're eligible, but don't know if they've released testing results
(Assuming Samsonov will have to go longer since he was the OG positive from the group)

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Let's look at our pace compared to best teams best seasons:
TeamSeasonGPP%
Washington Capitals2020/2180.813
Chicago Blackhawks2012/13480.802
Tampa Bay Lightning2018/19820.780
Detroit Red Wings2005/06820.756
Pittsburgh Penguins2012/13480.750
Washington Capitals2009/10820.738
Washington Capitals2015/16820.732
Washington Capitals2016/17820.720
Boston Bruins2019/20700.714
San Jose Sharks2008/09820.713
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
TeamSeasonGPP%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Jinx post is a jinx.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
TeamSeasonGPP%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Dallas is 4-0. Why don’t you put them at the very top?

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I think it is tough to predict who to protect and who to expose at this point. This season will be interesting to see and make decisions easier or harder. A few examples:

What if Kuzy stays at his production from last year or even ticks closer to .5ppg? I would think it would be worthwhile to consider exposing his contract.

What if VV outplays Samsonov? Do you protect VV? Do you trade Samsonov to get a valuable asset and not expose him?

What about on D? Do try to protect all 4 of Carlson, Orlov, Schultz, and Dillon? Do you expose one and get room for the young guys? What about Kempney and how does LTIR work?

Everyone seems to think Oshie is an easy send off, why not Eller? I know we don't want to lose center depth, but we have young guys who play the position, or even shift Oshie as he ages into that position? Would Seattle even take a 32 (I think) year old third line center?

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I think if this team wins the Cup, or comes close, there’s a good chance GMBM trades a draft pick for them to pick someone inconsequential. Paying them a 2nd to take someone like Panik could strike a nice balance between Seattle getting a guy who could be a good underdog performer for them (in the vein seen in Vegas), while trading a guy who is replaceable.

Unless Samsanov becomes an elite-level goaltender for the dominant part of this season, it’s hard to see him getting more than a modest bridge deal after this year. Being able to keep an affordable tandem for the next two years is crucial to our cap structure, so finding a way to protect both goaltenders might be more appealing with Seattle than with Vegas.

I just don’t see that answer being Oshie, though. Oshie’s current trajectory seems to be closely linked to the Caps’ window. We’ve seen them sign Backstrom long-term, and they’re hoping to do the same with Ovi, to effectively mortgage the company’s post-window years in exchange for maximising the win-now chances of today and tomorrow. I don’t see trading or exposing Oshie as fitting with that mindset, when he’s integral both to the Caps’ culture and to its on-ice performance.

I think moving Orlov off the books is one possibility instead, as much as they’d like to keep him. With Dillon signed, and depending on Siegenthaler and Alexeyev’s progress and Kempny’s recovery, Orlov could at some point be viewed as expendable given the limited role he plays on special teams, and him being a good but not elite player 5v5. I have to think the Caps expected his game to grow when they signed him to the deal they did, but in terms of points production he’s been stable since he was on the third pairing, needs the right partner to stay above water, and has a decent cap hit. I don’t see him being exposed, but if GMBM could get a good return for him I think he’d consider it, if the depth on D continues to be what it is now.

Alternatively, if they don’t see Alexeyev as progressing as they hoped, I can see him being part of the Seattle solution. He’s probably still considered a good prospect right now, and we’ve seen how quickly prospects can lose value when their progress is slow (Djoos made the team in 2018-2019 out of fear he’d be claimed on waivers, whereas Johansen is waived each year without a moment’s thought. His NHL prospects don’t look great for a former first rounder.)

On the other hand, I can also see Ovechkin trading salary stagnation for a shorter term deal, given the current financial and Cap constraints from COVID. From Ovi’s perspective, it helps the team stay competitive in the short term while giving him more moral/reputational freedom to leave for Russia a couple of years later, if he wants to, without breaking any promises. Ovi’s cap hit staying similar makes a huge difference to the Caps’ structure next year. If they don’t need to move salary off the books, I don’t think they’ll be looking to move a key piece for the sake of it.

Jun 15, 2007
Thinking about Backstrom's struggles last season - he had to be injured. That is simple explanation and it fits.

He looks like himself now. Could it be he forgot how to play previously? No way.

PS: Now we need Kuzy to stop f***ing around. Could be a fun season.

He looked fat. Fat for a pro athlete, not regular fat.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Jun 15, 2007
I think they should explore trading Orlov. I don't think hes been great post cup. It helps the LD logjam and we could use a forward.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I agree with this.

Expose him. If they take him, sucks, but we get out of 5.75 mil for a 35-38 year old. If they don't, that's fine because he's still a great player, and hopefully we can get 1-2 more of that after this season.

this is my feeling...

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
would be down with paying them to take panik to keep the gang together, or someone like hagelin/jensen perhaps. 100% expendable guys

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Oshie could be a Knuble like player at least in his twilight years. Just more skilled. Injury prone, sure, overpaid for that, but it's value.

If this low cap situation doesnt clear Caps should continue to sign very cheap players for 3rd line and get under the cap this way (and still keep Oshie).

Obviously 4th line is already set for the time being :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland