Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
what you mean you arent looking forward to the millions of articles on why ovi should cup chase and leave the capitals if we have struggles in the early rounds again?

The moment that the trade deadline passes if Ov is not signed, the media barrage of "the possibilities" and the rumors of Ovechkin being insulted by the offer and so on will be overwhelming

I expect that issue to be removed before that starts

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
what you mean you arent looking forward to the millions of articles on why ovi should cup chase and leave the capitals if we have struggles in the early rounds again?

That is a fear I have

The moment that the trade deadline passes if Ov is not signed, the media barrage of "the possibilities" and the rumors of Ovechkin being insulted by the offer and so on will be overwhelming

I expect that issue to be removed before that starts
All this is very interesting to me. If there's a private agreement in principal and the team knows it, why would they care what the press wants to write?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
All this is very interesting to me. If there's a private agreement in principal and the team knows it, why would they care what the press wants to write?

Is the entire team going to know? The media will be on everyone of them. Any unofficial agreement is a promise til it is signed and promises are broken everyday. A frenzy is over nothing is still a frenzy and any frenzy is distracting.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Wouldn't that be against league rules? I know cap circumvention is a thing, surely similar "hacks" around the expansion draft have similar sanctions if it's all planned ahead?

Would also mean an ageing Ovi risks a bad injury in the playoffs without a signed contract moving forward - would be surprised if he took on that risk.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Are Oveckhin, Kuznetsov, Orlov tonight back? Thanks.
Doubtful. They were still on the COVID protocol yesterday, and haven’t been able to work out (outside their homes) while in isolation. They’re not going to be ready for a few days after being released, you have to think.

Reactions: markog

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Wouldn't that be against league rules? I know cap circumvention is a thing, surely similar "hacks" around the expansion draft have similar sanctions if it's all planned ahead?

‘We’re confident we can come to an agreement, but have decided to table discussions until the off season so we can focus on winning the cup.’

I don’t see how that can’t be legitimate?

Last edited:

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Doubtful. They were still on the COVID protocol yesterday, and haven’t been able to work out (outside their homes) while in isolation. They’re not going to be ready for a few days after being released, you have to think.

If it's true that Orlov and Oveckhin already had Covid and have antibodies, why the hell are they under protocol? Has the world (or NHL) go totally mad?

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
‘We’re confident we can come to an agreement, but have decided to table discussions until the off season so we can focus on winning the cup.’

You quoted the injury bit but sounds like this is about the circumvention - yeah that story would make sense, but if the league found out the whole timeline was constructed in a conspiracy to gain an extra protection slot by not having to use one on Ovi then I'd be surprised if the league is ok with it.

Agree it'd be very difficult to prove, Ovi can just say he's taking his time deciding things etc., Loads of ways to veil it.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Also I think Ovi will play the moment he's cleared working out home or not. Kuzy too obviously.

Probably true - obviously the 3 Russians (not Samsonov) are better starters than the guys who've been filling in for them.

Samsonov - remains to be seen. I think he's created a challenging situation for himself - we know what the other 3 bring, but Samsonov hasn't delivered yet...

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
You quoted the injury bit but sounds like this is about the circumvention - yeah that story would make sense, but if the league found out the whole timeline was constructed in a conspiracy to gain an extra protection slot by not having to use one on Ovi then I'd be surprised if the league is ok with it.

Agree it'd be very difficult to prove, Ovi can just say he's taking his time deciding things etc., Loads of ways to veil it.
I just hit reply, so I’ve no idea how I cut out the relevant bit?! Oops

Yeah I agree, but a bunch of important guys weren’t signed until after the ES last time (including Oshie on the caps, who was technically exposed as a UFA). I think otherwise you’re implicitly saying you can’t sign your own UFAs once the expansion draft has happened, which would be lunacy.

The caps could legitimately have the basis for a deal agreed in principle - term and AAV, say - while still having signing bonuses, the terms of any NTC/NMC etc. still left (technically) undecided by the draft. As long as the entire contract had not been agreed to its hard to see how it would be circumventing the draft against, technically if not in spirit.

Reactions: searle

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Probably true - obviously the 3 Russians (not Samsonov) are better starters than the guys who've been filling in for them.

Samsonov - remains to be seen. I think he's created a challenging situation for himself - we know what the other 3 bring, but Samsonov hasn't delivered yet...
Yeah, no way you play Samsonov without some practices. I’d also be tempted to leave Orlov out for a game, given the D have been good without him and 1 of your 6 being sluggish or fatigued is a lot more problematic than 2 of your 12? Plus we have no AHLers playing D, and at least 2 playing forward positions.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Also, let’s hope that Samsonov comes back with some strong performances. We seem pretty comfortable leaning on VV at the moment – he’s a big part of why we’re #1 in the division and have one of the best records league-wide. Maybe IS suffered from not having a proper camp, and benefitted a little too much from appearing to have no significant competition for the starter position?

I seem to remember IS didn’t look great in camp in 2019-2020, but looked good enough to warrant some time as backup given Holtby’s looming UFA status. He then knocked it out the park for the first three or so months. If he can get some practices in, and realises he has to fight not only for wins, but for playing time, perhaps he returns to the form we’ve seen both last year and in the KHL.

That said, as capable as VV seems to be, we know you need elite-level goaltending in the playoffs (which is not to say you need a guy who’s elite in the RS, but someone who can turn it up when the pressure gets tough). If IS can’t get it together, we’re going to be in trouble.

If it's true that Orlov and Oveckhin already had Covid and have antibodies, why the hell are they under protocol? Has the world (or NHL) go totally mad?

Without meaning to derail this into a science/medical discussion rather than hockey, having antibodies doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t get COVID (with or without symptoms) or transmit it to others. There is little evidence right now on how effective immunity is, or how long it lasts, and there are reported cases of reinfections. The trials of vaccines have often been considered ‘successful’ by reducing the severity and length of illness when participants then got infected – not preventing them from getting it at all. It’s plausible natural immunity will have a similar effect, and so I don’t see anything wrong with the NHL COVID protocols assuming nothing re: antibodies and immunity.

This is what the protocol says on high-risk close contacts (HRCC), for the record:

Persons shall be considered to be a “Close Contact” if they have been within 6 feet of
the Index Individual for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period3, starting from 2 days before illness onset (or, for asymptomatic Index Individuals, 2 days prior to test specimen collection), until the time the Index Individual is isolated. Close Contacts may include a Player’s family if a Player tests positive.
[...]
The decision whether to impose a quarantine period for a Group 1 or 2A person considered to be a HRCC, and the length and nature of the quarantine period (minimum of 7-day CDC Test-based strategy, 10-day or 14 day quarantine), will take into consideration the likelihood that the person has contracted COVID-19, which assessment will include the non-exhaustive factors identified above, any relevant CDC or PHAC recommendations on the management of close contacts, and any applicable federal, state/provincial, or local health authority law or regulation.
https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2020-21/2020-21PositiveTestProtocol.pdf

One thing I think we’ve probably overlooked when making comparisons to other teams is it’s a goaltender who tested positive on the Caps, not a skater. On the bench, relief goaltenders must still wear masks, and a goaltender who’s playing spends little or no time on the bench with the others but is staying stationary on the ice, with few people spending more than 15 minutes total in close contact with him there. If the Russian four hadn’t broken the rules, I imagine IS alone would be alone in quarantining. In contrast, if a guy like Nick Dowd had tested positive, it’s plausible the entire club would have to isolate because most of them would have spent at least 15 minutes in close contact with him (on the bench) without PPE. So the risk IS posed to the club as a whole might be low, but the risk he posed to Orlov, Kuznetsov and Ovechkin would have been much higher.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Might it be legitimate as in legal? Sure. But in today's society just openly and clearly lying is sour at best. Ov becomes famous for his lying? Not sure that is what the guy wants. If its not a clear lie then the media storm that he might sign elsewhere gains momentum. Being honest is best

Reactions: HecticGlow

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
To replace McMichael
Maybe, but it seems like you can recall someone from the AHL and they can slot into the lineup without having to quarantine. Taxi squad seems more like they are primarily going to be used for road trips more than anything so far

edit: and McMichael was playing wing, not center. Don’t think they trust him enough to play center

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
I wasn’t a fan of the way Lavi handled McMichael in his first game. He had a bad shift and from there eyes Lavi over reacted to a small sample size. I would’ve like to have seen him put him in a position to build his confidence by giving him another chance instead of banishing him to the taxi squad and now Hershey. I think he belongs in Hershey right now but just don’t like the way it unfolded but just my 2 cents from an outsiders perspective.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I wasn’t a fan of the way Lavi handled McMichael in his first game. He had a bad shift and from there eyes Lavi over reacted to a small sample size. I would’ve like to have seen him put him in a position to build his confidence by giving him another chance instead of banishing him to the taxi squad and now Hershey. I think he belongs in Hershey right now but just don’t like the way it unfolded but just my 2 cents from an outsiders perspective.
That was a game I had to miss but it does sound like, if he wasn't injured, they didn't really give him an opportunity to adjust and come back. Even getting a little coaching during the first intermission and seeing how he responds seems like a justifiable decision.

Hard to be upset with it when there's a lot more runway there and Hershey is still more pro experience but yeah, unless they saw something that was a total deal breaker for the moment I'm not sure why he was shelved so quickly.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Sam Bennett seeking a trade out of Calgary. $2.5M cap hit this year then he's a RFA. He prefers center but has played mostly wing and still only 24 years old. Not much of a scoring touch right now but he's got room for development and plays with a bit of a mean streak too that could fit in here.

I'd kick the tires on him and see if we can't have success with another reclamation project, especially given the issues we have with center depth at the moment. Salary would obviously have to go back to Calgary in a deal... maybe Panik + 3rd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad